Search found 214 matches

by Ken Olson
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:43 am
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

(Continued after a long delay from my previous post) Good and Bad Standards of Evidence As to what I mean by good standards of evidence, I gave a few examples: written or oral traditions that preserve the location of the tomb from the first century or an inscription identifying the site. Such things...
by Ken Olson
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: What Are the Implications that Peter Taught in 'Anecdotes'?
Replies: 84
Views: 14543

Re: Question for Ben

Two further comments: First, Mark seems to have bookended the section where he departs from Mark as the subject and then resumes it by placing ὃς before the departure and re-introducing Mark by name after it. In the preceding sentence, he's content not to use a noun or pronoun at all but let the rea...
by Ken Olson
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 am
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: What Are the Implications that Peter Taught in 'Anecdotes'?
Replies: 84
Views: 14543

Re: Question for Ben

I'm not Ben, but: ὃς = "who", probably has the immediately preceding proper noun Peter as its antecedent πρὸς τὰς χρείας = "according to the necessities" (or "according to his needs") The part you've put in bold is about Peter. The last clause of the sentence (not in bold, after the comma in your te...
by Ken Olson
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:37 pm
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

Back on Feb. 28, Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: While I agree with your points, I think it would be interesting, and probably useful, to say more about the difference between those evidences. What does it mean to look for an assumed historical place in late antiquity that should become the object of pil...
by Ken Olson
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

Joe Wallack wrote: It's easy to trade ad hoc arguments. Not so easy to put together scientific criteria in an undiscipline that often avoids them. In every revolution there is one man with a vision. Be that man. Joe, Is your point that I should write a section on methodology in which I outline what ...
by Ken Olson
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:19 pm
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

Joe Wallack wrote: On a micro level you are doing a great (and respectful) job dealing with her specifics, seriously considering, contradicting and restraining incredulous impulse. But on a macro level you are just futzing around appearing to accept (or at least not giving it the criticism it deserv...
by Ken Olson
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:05 am
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

Bernard Muller wrote: Jesus was never buried in any tomb. Some time after his death (days, weeks) his remains were disposed off. That is a plausible hypothesis and one for which I hold a great deal of sympathy. One of the reasons I'm addressing the issue of the authenticity of the tomb is that the p...
by Ken Olson
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Re: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

Joe Wallack wrote: I don't understand why you are taking her article seriously. I will explain. From a modern standpoint (the only one I use) nothing she said would qualify as evidence. That is the point I was making. Demonstrating that point, as opposed to simply asserting it or mocking those who h...
by Ken Olson
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Forum: Christian Texts and History
Topic: Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)
Replies: 17
Views: 15329

Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998)

I was originally going to post this in the existing Church of the Holy Sepulchre thread http://earlywritings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2729&hilit=sepulcher but it grew into something of a monster, so I decided to start a new thread. Joan Taylor's Golgotha: A Reconsideration of the Evidence (1998...