Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus" out in June

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
Blood

Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus" out in June

Post by Blood »

Sheffield has a web page for Carrier's book. Publication date is now June. 800 pages, which is about 500 more than I was expecting.

http://www.sheffieldphoenix.com/showbook.asp?bkid=264
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
DCHindley

Re: This Unpleasant Male Exactly who The moment Were located

Post by DCHindley »

WTF?
tutul_hossain wrote:One more part connected with Nehemiah is usually almost nothing next to outstanding. The item strongly files this vibrant attributes on the male Nehemiah seeing that his or her wrath is usually irritated as soon as he / she reviews some predicaments this Jews received gotten in due to the fact he had also been clear of these individuals. In this posting, most of us will probably consentrate on solely the primary dilemma he / she comes across in addition to diagnose apps for our unique day-to-day lives as we vacation in that tempest raging by Nehemiah over the thirteenth part on the ebook of which bares his or her label.

Seeing that Nehemiah comes back to help Jerusalem with part thirteen, the primary difficulty he / she perceives is usually one who is reasonably amazing. A male branded Tobiah received basically established household in addition to seemed to be located inside the house connected with Goodness! Would you imagine the item? Tobiah hasn't been children connected with Goodness in any respect, in truth, he / she seemed to be a Ammonite public who has been incredibly unpredictable to help God's persons. He / she seemed to be a oppressor, exactly who had taken selling point of this Jews by means of by using hazards in addition to power. As soon as Nehemiah arrived in Jerusalem with his or her primary excursion, in addition to inspired folks so that work towards restructuring this cracked retaining wall on the location, Tobiah attemptedto keep these individuals by carrying out the position, acknowledge that this retaining wall is a good safety next to them in addition to his or her oppression (Neh. 3: 10; 5: 3; 6: 1-9).

So, just how performed that bad male go to have a home in God's household? Using the word, Tobiah seemed to be "allied" having Eliashib, this excessive priest (13: 5). This Hebrew concept utilised in this article intended for "allied" would be the similar concept utilised in Ruth 3: 20 of which articulates connected with Boaz currently being linked ("near connected with kin") to help Naomi in addition to Ruth. So your message "allied" is usually mentioning the family unit wrap connected with Tobiah in addition to Eliashib. This Jews appeared to definitely not still be aware that ıt had been next to God's rules to help marry into your persons connected with Ammon, or maybe another state (13: 1). So most of us view the grand son connected with Eliashib this excessive priest marry this little princess on the powerful Horonite boss, Sanballat (13: 30). And it in addition may very well be well known (but is not specifically pertinent to our subject matter) of which on the list of priest's daughters received sooner committed this daughter connected with Tobiah (Neh. 6: 17), and this also relation to Tobiah can have likewise extensive to help Eliashib this excessive priest, although that are not proved. Whatever the case is usually, young children and can of which by some means Eliashib evolved into relative towards powerful Tobiah. That spouse and children network appeared to include awarded Tobiah the employment of a substantial appropriate slot with God's household to live on. That potent misconduct connected with Eliashib permitting Tobiah to build popular property therefore polluting God's household seemed to be an incredible mistreatment on the electric power Eliashib received seeing that excessive priest. That substantial appropriate slot with God's household which often the moment stashed things intended for gratifying God's rules, at this point outlets a unpleasant Ammonite in addition to his or her popular residence factors.
jackmark

Re: Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus" out in June

Post by jackmark »

http : / / www .freethought nation. co m / forums / viewtopic.php? p=4771#p4771

STUPID THINGS RICHARD CARRIER HAS DONE AND SAID
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: This Unpleasant Male Exactly who The moment Were located

Post by Peter Kirby »

DCHindley wrote:WTF?
A spammer with a Markov chain algorithm.

Speaking of spam, Maximos/jackmark persuades me to view links to freethoughtnati*n.com as spam. Nobody's sold books so hard since Britannica. (But how will your child be able to write anything on the topic of the origins of Christianity without a complete set of 3,000 pages from Acharya S?)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

How this is construed by "Freethinkaluva22":
Freethinkaluva22 wrote:Neil Godfrey's latest smear campaign against Acharya:

Code:
The Confessional Epilogue: Christians and Acharya
http://vridar.org/2014/05/15/the-confes ... d-acharya/

and here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=580

So now, Robert, in order to protect Neil Godfrey and Richard Carrier from any legitimate criticism at Peter Kirby's "earlywritings" forum they are banning people, deleting their posts and have now made any links to Freethought Nation spam. A real piece of work those guys.

Code:
"Speaking of spam, Maximos/jackmark persuades me to view links to freethoughtnati*n.com as spam. Nobody's sold books so hard since Britannica. (But how will your child be able to write anything on the topic of the origins of Christianity without a complete set of 3,000 pages from Acharya S?)"

- Peter Kirby

viewtopic.php?p=11433#p11433

And Peter Kirby has gone out of his way to remove all links exposing Richard Carrier's malicious smears, so, be sure to pass this link around:

Quote:
STUPID THINGS RICHARD CARRIER HAS DONE AND SAID:

Richard Carrier Owes Acharya an Apology

viewtopic.php?p=4771#p4771
It might be a good idea to go through this one by one.
in order to protect Neil Godfrey and Richard Carrier from any legitimate criticism
Legitimate criticism would be a breath of fresh air. If Maximos/jackmark wants to return to the forum and post "like an adult, without screaming 'LIAR' all the time, that would be great." He can have another run at it if he wants to control his outbursts.
they are banning people
A ban from the forum is one of the only tools the forum has to maintain the quality and promote the civility of discussion here. As stated in the global sticky:
Peter Kirby wrote:The rules (such as they are):

The mods retain the right to move posts about and to ban anyone seen as a nuisance. Posts are not edited or blocked or deleted*; it's opaque as a benefit** and requires too much work (and requires a gordian knot of definitions as to what is and isn't crossing the line, which just favors people who know how to be an ass within the lines), and I'd rather just be rid of characters who don't seem to have any genuine historical interest in the subjects under discussion.

* Excepting spam, of course.

** Compared to the pretty clear benefit of feeling certain of what people have posted to the forum, in their own words (forum history, so to speak).
Even so, if Maximos wants to come back, he can do so if he also wants to make the smallest effort at making his point in a civil way.
deleting their posts
Actually, this is not true. It is the policy of this forum not to delete any posts, not even to edit them (excepting, as noted, spam). You can be sure that you have the unmoderated and complete history of every poster at this forum.

The only other tool that mods use is a subforum for the types of posts that are discouraged, where these posts are moved. One of these is a thread simply titled "various personal attacks." Maximos apparently had a fondness for this style of post, given that a full quarter of his posts went here, making it the thread to which he has contributed the most. This behavior stretches back months. His most recent set of personal attacks was called out, and he did not desist. Then came the ban and another identity to continue the same type of posting. Even so, you can find all the posts ever made under all identities in this forum.
have now made any links to Freethought Nation spam
True. You can still follow them if you want, manually, but they are considered spam. I am tired of a few people who treat this forum as a place to hawk a few books.
And Peter Kirby has gone out of his way to remove all links exposing Richard Carrier's malicious smears
You can find this piece here:

STUPID THINGS RICHARD CARRIER HAS DONE AND SAID: Richard Carrier Owes Acharya an Apology

Truly a brilliant exposé, worthy of wide attention, I'm sure.

If you want to come here and post on the topics of discussion, do so. If you just want to have a pissing contest of personalities, kindly leave me out of it. I've never come to your forum to post about anything, so if you don't want to hear from me, there is a simple solution.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

On the subject of the book itself -

"On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt"

The subtitle makes me cringe: a timid recapitulation of a solid (but itself boring) title. Hopefully the contents are better.
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

Peter Kirby wrote: STUPID THINGS RICHARD CARRIER HAS DONE AND SAID: Richard Carrier Owes Acharya an Apology

Truly a brilliant exposé, worthy of wide attention, I'm sure.
From that brilliant exposé:
Carrier certainly deserves it because he's constantly telling people NOT to read Acharya's work (and others) and to dismiss it BEFORE even reading it for themselves and he inspires his readers and listeners of his lectures as well as his fanboys to tell others not to read it either. We are completely sick and tired of it. We do fight back and we will continue to do so until the prejudice and misogyny stops. We would prefer to see fellow mythicists working together but, this fiasco is ALL on Carrier.
Oh noes! He tells people not to read the works of a certain author because what she writes is in his (correct) opinion crap.

And it's misogyny? :lol:
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

Blood wrote:Sheffield has a web page for Carrier's book. Publication date is now June. 800 pages, which is about 500 more than I was expecting.

I find it humorous when people try to doubt that Jesus existed.

Jesus of Nazareth turned the Roman Empire on its head inside 50 years after his death, when no other philosopher of his age could even put a dent in it.

Your author wants us to believe that this was achieved by a made up character.

(That, of course would make the 13 apostles the most brilliant social engineers of antiquity. I think this is why atheism never seems to grow beyond 2% of the population. Everone knows this kind of material is absolute crap.)
Blood

Post by Blood »

Mental flatliner wrote:
Blood wrote:Sheffield has a web page for Carrier's book. Publication date is now June. 800 pages, which is about 500 more than I was expecting.

I find it humorous when people try to doubt that Jesus existed.

Jesus of Nazareth turned the Roman Empire on its head inside 50 years after his death, when no other philosopher of his age could even put a dent in it.

Your author wants us to believe that this was achieved by a made up character.

(That, of course would make the 13 apostles the most brilliant social engineers of antiquity. I think this is why atheism never seems to grow beyond 2% of the population. Everone knows this kind of material is absolute crap.)
Wow, you've already read the book before it was even released? That truly is a miracle. Praise Jesus!
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

Blood wrote: Wow, you've already read the book before it was even released? That truly is a miracle. Praise Jesus!
Why do I need to read the book?

The synopsis claims that the author makes a case that Jesus didn't exist.

This argument is about 140 years old, as far as I can tell, and it just keeps getting trotted out as if it's something new.

Christian historians and critics have usually responded with indifference because the premise is so ridiculous. Not until the 70s or later did Christian apologists begin attempting defense of the Bible.

I say this is a ill-conceived strategy. My strategy is based on Sun-Tzu: never disrupt the enemy when he is destroying himself. I applaud all atheist efforts to try to claim Jesus didn't exist. It tells us exactly who and what atheists are. The morons truly feel threatened by a guy who died 2000 years ago.

THAT is pathetic.
Last edited by Mental flatliner on Sat May 17, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.