Reasons to want theism to be false?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

MrMacSon

Re: Reasons to want theism to be false?

Post by MrMacSon »

bskeptic wrote: But what if it's actually correct?
Which theism is correct?
bskeptic wrote: then maybe the power structures would be a small issue all things considered? Or actually a good and needed thing?
The Catholic churches handling of world-wide child sexual abuse (and other abuses) suggests otherwise.

As does ISIS; as does Israel's genocide of Palestinians.
bskeptic

Post by bskeptic »

MrMacSon wrote: Which theism is correct?
I'm speaking on a general level as I said in the OP.
The Catholic churches handling of world-wide child sexual abuse (and other abuses) suggests otherwise.
Firstly, is such a thing really required by theism? That they act badly? I suppose theism will support the existence of theistic religious organizations, and those organizations can then act in good ways or bad ways or a mix. But I mean, many different types of organization can be corrupt. That's really just a human problem. I'm not sure that theism will make it any worse? Anyway, under theism, there could easily be justice for victims and all the perpetrators would be held to account. Should we rather hope for naturalism under which many of them will escape justice?
As does ISIS; as does Israel's genocide of Palestinians.
It's actually more the Palestinian side that wants to wipe away the existence of Israel as a Jewish state.
iskander

Post by iskander »

winningedge101 has asked , Why not Jesus?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2023

Are you now asking , Why not God?
PS , God is to be understood as unknown, hidden , mute, and alone.