I am not asking you, I am telling you! Fantasy based

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Gnostic Bishop

Re: I am not asking you, I am telling you! Fantasy based

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

iskander wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
iskander wrote:Which one hasn't got supernatural content?
The Buddha that seeks wisdom and enlightenment and not some guy in the sky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

"Buddhism denies a creator deity", although some sects do have minor deities.

Theravada Buddhism does not have any supernatural aspects although reincarnation is seen as supernatural to some.
I think Buddhism sees our consciousness as natural though.

A Theravada Buddhist I spoke with denies anything supernatural. Buddha was just a man and that is what they aspire to emulate.

Regards
DL
Theravada
The four Noble Truths.
1- There is suffering
2-The origin of suffering
3- There is the cessation of suffering
4- There is the path out of suffering

How do you understand the first noble truth : there is suffering.

:) As a truth. :)

Seriously.

I am not a Buddhist but do recognize that as a truth?

Life has both good and evil aspect to it, although nature always creates for the best possible end of all it creates.

Most tend to have more good in their lives than evil. Not all unfortunately.

The origin of suffering I would see as just being born.

The cessation of suffering would be death.

There is the path out of suffering, which would be life leading to death.

So my take on the 4 truths is that we should live life as fully as possible while trying to avoid as much suffering as possible.

Regards
DL
iskander

Post by iskander »

The four noble truths are the foundation of Buddhism. The first exposition of the Four Noble Truths was a discourse (sutta) called Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta -- literally , ' the discourse that sets the vehicle of the teaching in motion. '

Life is dukkha,

‘Dukkha’ is the second fundamental characteristic of existence and the First Noble Truth of the list of Four Noble Truths. The term ‘dukkha’ has been used in Buddhist teaching to convey the totality of experiences of a normal human being in the world. It has been rendered into English in numerous ways.

Death is not the cessation of suffering in Buddhism because they believe in the afterlife and in the temporal suffering hell
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

iskander wrote:The four noble truths are the foundation of Buddhism. The first exposition of the Four Noble Truths was a discourse (sutta) called Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta -- literally , ' the discourse that sets the vehicle of the teaching in motion. '

Life is dukkha,

‘Dukkha’ is the second fundamental characteristic of existence and the First Noble Truth of the list of Four Noble Truths. The term ‘dukkha’ has been used in Buddhist teaching to convey the totality of experiences of a normal human being in the world. It has been rendered into English in numerous ways.

Death is not the cessation of suffering in Buddhism because they believe in the afterlife and in the temporal suffering hell
Not to the Buddhist I spoke to but I do not know into how many sects Buddhism has fractured into.

My main point was that their focus of seeking wisdom and enlightenment was far superior to Christianity with their focus on obedience and Islam's focus on submission.

Regards
DL
iskander

Post by iskander »

beowulf wrote:Karma is a cruel master. The godless Buddhist is another 'sexual purity' fanatic.

The Buddhist say “It would be better that your penis be stuck into a pit of burning embers, blazing and glowing, than into a woman’s vagina.”
The pit kills , but the vagina sends you to hell.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... o/bmc1.pdf

Worthless man, it would be better that your penis be stuck into the mouth of a poisonous snake than into a woman’s vagina. It would be better that your penis be stuck into the mouth of a black viper than into a woman’s vagina. It would be better that your penis be stuck into a pit of burning embers, blazing and glowing, than into a woman’s vagina. Why is that? For that reason you would undergo death or deathlike suffering, but you would not on that account, at the break-up of the body, after death, fall into a plane of deprivation, a bad destination, a lower realm, hell. But for this reason you would, at the break-up of the body, after death, fall into a plane of deprivation, a bad destination, a lower realm, hell…
Page 13
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=310#p4513

Buddhists are very wise and enlightened .
iskander

Post by iskander »

Gnostic Bishop wrote:...

Life has both good and evil aspect to it, although nature always creates for the best possible end of all it creates.

So my take on the 4 truths is that we should live life as fully as possible while trying to avoid as much suffering as possible.

Regards
DL
The First Truth says that being alive is always dukkha, suffering. Life is undesirable
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

iskander wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:...

Regards
DL
The First Truth says that being alive is always dukkha, suffering. Life is undesirable
That is not what I get from it. I read it as a challenge to people to see the beauty of life instead of the small bit of suffering most go through and perhaps focus on those that suffer a lot more than the average.

You make the Buddha to seem like a whining child instead of a learned man. Remember that he was from a high cast line and would have not suffered much at all as compared to those around him.

Regards
DL
iskander

Post by iskander »

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta — the Great Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma

Being the first discourse ever delivered by the Blessed One, it is the most straightforward of his teachings .

Life is dukkhah .

Where have you found " what you get from it" ?.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

iskander wrote:Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta — the Great Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma

Being the first discourse ever delivered by the Blessed One, it is the most straightforward of his teachings .

Life is dukkhah .

Where have you found " what you get from it" ?.
dukkhah
The obvious physical and mental suffering associated with birth, growing old, illness and dying.
The anxiety or stress of trying to hold on to things that are constantly changing.
A basic un-satisfactoriness pervading all forms of existence, because all forms of life are changing, impermanent and without any inner core or substance.

To my modern and Western eyes, these are low grade suffering and only a wimp would exaggerate them.

If I lived in Buddha's times, I would have thought differently as the conditions were startlingly different from mine today.

Life expectancy, for instance, would have been a lot lower than ours today.

I know Buddhism only in a rudimental way and may not know the teachings as well as someone who has given the whole tradition greater thought.

Regards
DL
iskander

Post by iskander »

Life is Dukha, being alive is suffering.

THE WHEEL OF DHAMMA 63
(1) JÆTI DUKKHÆ ... SUFFERING OF NEW BECOMING (RE-BIRTH)
By new becoming (re-birth) is meant the dissolution of nama, rupa at the last moment in the last existence and after death, the first moment of genesis of new nama, rupa in the new existence as conditioned by kamma.

Buddhism also has an Original Sin conditioning our beginning in the womb. Kamma in a previous life affects the new mana rupa.

Mana rupa
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha262.htm

In all these four types of conception, the first moment of conceiving or genesis definitely constitutes jati beginning of new existence. No suffering or pain as such exists, of course, at the first moment of genesis, but since this first arising or origination of life serves as a basis for later appearance of physical pain and mental suffering throughout the whole of the ensuing existence, jati is termed ‘Suffering’. It is like putting one’s signature on a document as a guarantor of some questionable transactions. There is no trouble, of course, at the time of signing the instrument of the transactions, but as it is certain to give rise to later complications, the act of singing the document amounts to involvement in dreadful trouble or in other words ‘Suffering’.

Rebirth is very bad because it prolongs suffering.
Jati
http://www.buddhaviews.com/Learning_Dha ... _birth.htm
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Thanks for this.

I am not looking to change from a Gnostic Christian to a Buddhist.

My focus these days is on morality and not the supernatural aspects of the various belief systems.

I prefer to talk about reality and not fantasy.

Regards
DL