Grateful Dead

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

John2

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by John2 »

I am just lost today.

Last edited by John2 on Thu May 20, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arnoldo

Re: Grateful Dead/Romans 6:11

Post by arnoldo »

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin. . .
John2

Post by John2 »

This is the last song Jerry sang before he died. It's another sad one.

When the last rose of summer pricks my finger,
And the hot sun chills me to the bone,
When I can't hear the song for the singer,
And I can't tell my pillow from a stone,
I will walk alone by the black muddy river,
And sing me a song of my own,
And sing me a song of my own.

When the last bolt of sunshine hits the mountain,
And the stars start to splatter in the sky,
When the moon splits the southwest horizon,
With the scream of an eagle on the fly,
And listen to the ripples as they moan,
And sing me a song of my own.

Black muddy river, roll on forever,
I don't care how deep or wide, if you've got another side,
Roll muddy river, roll muddy river, black muddy river, roll.

When it seems like the night will last forever,
And there's nothing left to do but count the years,
When the strings of my heart start to sever,
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And dream me a dream of my own,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And sing me a song of my own, sing me a song of my own.
Last edited by John2 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

Quite shocking actually having grown up in the flower power generation to digest Dave McGowan's "Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream" as well as Gnostic Media"s deconstruction of bygone days.

You Tube
Dr. Hans Utter "Laying the Dead to Rest, Part 1: Occult Networks in the Holosonic Control Matrix"

It was on a par with discovering Alice in Wonderland was a Legominism similar to Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Studies in Alice I, by Marc Edmund Jones
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

I was thinkin' bout the dead the other day.

arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

John2 wrote:I am just lost today.

Are you found yet? 8-)
John2

Post by John2 »

arnoldo wrote:

Are you found yet?

I feel better than I was when I wrote that I was lost, at least. And as far as the Dead go, I've been exploring 1977 more, a year most Dead Heads seem to like a lot but I generally don't (as I've been mentioning), and this Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo (track one from a show I linked to earlier) is the best version I've ever heard. For me this is saying something because I like this song, both lyrically and musically, and always have big expectations for it. "If all you've got to live for is what you left behind, get yourself a powder charge and seal that silver mine."

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-06-0 ... d1t01.flac

That's a pretty strong Samson and Delilah too (track 10). Maybe I'm starting to come around to 1977.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

I used to listen to a lot of this music back in the day. .

John2

Post by John2 »

Just noticed your links, arnoldo. Thanks (I'm listening to them now). For some reason I can only see your links when I'm at the library and not on my work computer. I think I'd choose 1991 and 1980 over 1977. I'm still having issues with the latter, and I'm certainly not alone in that. I have a friend who feels the same way and prefers 1976 like me, and this blogger has had a similar late-in-life exploration of 1977.

There was a wonderfully harmless war started in the online Grateful Dead community throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s. It came down to people having to choose allegiance to the year 1976 or 1977. ‘77 fans found it abundantly easy to laugh at and ridicule the Dead’s output from 1976 as tired, slow, limp, and utterly outshone by the following year, while ‘76 fans (or perhaps more accurately phrased, people who didn’t find 1977 to be the year above all other years) stood fast on the merits of 1976’s often overlooked psychedelic wonderland of creativity and inspiration which could make 1977 seem somewhat too organized and contrived. Just in writing that last sentence I can feel the ire of both camps rising to defend the motherland. And if I haven’t already made it abundantly clear in my writings, I was a banner waving member of the 1976 crowd.

And while I spent my heavy trading years obsessively collecting everything I could ever find from the Dead’s entire output of the 70’s, 1977 was never part of that blind obsession. While I can call to mind the merits of nearly every stop on the calendar in 1973, 74, 75, 76, and 78, such is not the case with 1977. Oh, I know my way around that year. I know that I gravitate to the feel of the spring and summer shows more than those from the fall and winter. But I don’t bleed the details of 1977 like I do the other years.

Flash forward to today, and I can freely admit that 1977 is like a new flower opening up before me. It represents new discoveries for me tucked within an era to which I’m already intimately in tune; and what a glorious hidden jewel to be able to discover after all this time.

http://www.deadlistening.com/2009/09/19 ... orium.html
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Now I'm thinking about the song I Need A Miracle, arnoldo, and I stumbled upon these interesting comments by David Dodd:

But, despite the sense of the lyrics on the face of it, what “Miracle” did was to put something into Grateful Dead culture, just by way of introducing the word: miracle. I wonder who the first Deadhead was who thought of making a sign saying “I need a miracle,” and putting a finger in the air outside a show, asking for a ticket. But it soon became commonplace, and “miracle” became code for a last-minute, sometimes free ticket. I had the pleasure of giving out a miracle ticket a few times, and I have also received them, and it does feel miraculous, from both ends—giving and receiving.

Beyond that, though, and bigger, is how the word “miracle,” in common use, gave us a way of thinking (and sometimes talking) about what went on onstage. Being open to something miraculous occurring in performance had always been a part of the Dead’s playing. The X Factor, as it was sometimes called, was present when the music was playing the band. The idea of “needing a miracle every day” seems at first borderline ridiculous, but over time, maybe it seems less so, and even something to be expected. Certainly, from my own experience, the Dead delivered a miracle more often than not. And I became more open to finding the miraculous in daily life.

http://www.dead.net/features/greatest-s ... ed-miracle
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.