Self in Theravada

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Ananda

Re: Self in Theravada

Post by Ananda »

As long as Buddhism moves in this world demanding the practice of the Eight Paths of Morality , the law of karma is to be most scrupulously followed, for without this law all our moral and ascetic endeavours will come to naught.
"demanding"lol

Come and See

“Buddhism is always a question of knowing and seeing and not that of believing. The teaching of the Buddha is qualified as Ehi-Passiko, inviting you to come and see, but not to come and believe.”

Ven. Dr. W. Rahula, 'What the Buddha Taught'
http://www.buddhanet.net/budintel/buddhism/comesee.htm
~Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!
iskander

Post by iskander »

Demand in this case means that it has to be done correctly . The Mizvot demand and the ten commandments demand are examples of ' demand ' in other religions. Kamma is like a natural law which ignores nothing.

"When we do something, there arises in our mind a type of consciousness, and that type of consciousness is accompanied by what we call volition, cetanà and that cetanà is called Kamma. Buddha explicitly said:

“Volition (cetanà) I call Kamma. Through volition, one performs action by body, by speech, or by mind.”

In the twelve links of the Dependent Origination there one will find the term saïkhàra, which means mental formations. Mental formations really means kamma here, and it is this kamma which produces results in this life or in future lives. Thus we have the chain: on ignorance depend kamma-formations; on kamma-formations depends consciousness; on consciousness depend mind and matter;...

The law of kamma is a law of cause and effect which states that where there is cause, there is effect; no effect comes into being without a cause.The workings of kamma are a natural law, like law of gravitation. Nobody can interfere with this law, not even the Buddha

The first factor in the Noble Eightfold Path is Right Understanding. One of the basic requirements of Right Understanding is an understanding of the law of kamma."

VOLITION, by Sayadaw U Sãlànanda
Last edited by iskander on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
iskander

Post by iskander »

deleted by iskander.It was posted twice by mistake.
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

"With that said, Let us take a look at the 8-Fold Path in a little different way. For one thing the word Right seems to be a little hard for our purposes of understanding. So the author chooses to use the word "Harmonious", instead of "Right". This tends to put a softer approach to the actual practice of meditation. If one uses the word "Right", it automatically brings to mind the opposite which is wrong! This tends to make one’s mind see things in black or white and nothing in between. And the word "Harmonious" doesn’t seem to do this, it gives a more fluid kind of feeling to all of these different aspects of the 8-fold Path. A question that the truth seeker can ask oneself as they live their life is, "Am I really being in harmony with what is happening in the present moment right now?" This kind of question can help one to remember to stay of the Path that leads to the cessation of all suffering (The 8-Fold Path).
http://library.dhammasukha.org/the-8-fo ... terms.html

Harmonious, Wholesome, Right, you are free!

KJV)And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
iskander

Post by iskander »

' Harmonious' is much better than 'right', it makes the kammic cart lighter.:)

Suffering!
Man is yoked to the kammic cart,
Suffering rolls on behind his feet,
Carrot is hanging in front of his nose,
But with hopes he forges ahead.
Drags the cart on rugged path,
Until at last meet with death!
P. Gnanarama
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

Dear iskander,

I shall give a discourse on nibbana, the not-self and "Self in Theravada"

The self and not-self is following the eight (8) fold path till the self is not

Joy,
Ananda
iskander

It's a Long Way to Tipperary"

Post by iskander »

Ananda wrote:Dear iskander,

I shall give a discourse on nibbana, the not-self and "Self in Theravada"

The self and not-self is following the eight (8) fold path till the self is not

Joy,
Ananda
It's a Long Way to Tipperary" : defilement

Ven Sudinna took his wife to a suitable place and " Ven. Sudinna consented, took his wife into the forest, and had intercourse three times." Gautama said he will go to hell-- for making love to his wife.

But when Gautama spoke Sudinna was already in the Buddhist hell for thinking about his desirable and noble wife , even if he had never again touched her:" because of the , one performs action by mind". “Volition (cetanà) I call Kamma. Through volition, one performs action by body, by speech, or by mind.”

As in Matthew 5 :28 KJV. 27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Kamma is a natural law and once Sudinna had entertained his wife in his mind, he had become defiled and he will be reborn in a lower realm where moral volition does not exist.

How does Theravada deal with defilements?
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

"How does Theravada deal with defilements?"

As teachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXJCj73XzY
iskander

Post by iskander »

A person ( such as a monk) who behaves properly ( a saint , an angel in appearance) does not amount to much. Only if those persons revere ( worship the Buddha) the Buddha are their beneficial and noble deeds counted as merit.

Only the faithful can please the Power-that-be .Is Theravada one more religion?

! As the Vinaya rules only relate to verbal and physical misdeeds, a scrupulous monk could lack virtue or goodness. It depends on his intention for observing the Vinaya rule. If it is only for the sake of praise and gain, it will not amount to much. However, if he reveres the Buddha and follows the rule out of respect for the Buddha’s command, then he rightly deserves to be called a virtuous monk, not just “scrupulous "
Dhamma Dipani
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

A person ( such as a monk) who behaves properly ( a saint , an angel in appearance) does not amount to much. Only if those persons revere ( worship the Buddha) the Buddha are their beneficial and noble deeds counted as merit.
Following the dhamma is revering good Gotoma!
Only the faithful can please the Power-that-be .Is Theravada one more religion?
Faith is for Freedom from dukka!

Religare; bind or yoke oneself to dhamma.

The five (5) Spiritual Faculties
Faith
Energy
Mindfulness
Concentration
Wisdom

"The Way of Wisdom: The Five Spiritual ... 065.html .
! As the Vinaya rules only relate to verbal and physical misdeeds, a scrupulous monk could lack virtue or goodness. It depends on his intention for observing the Vinaya rule. If it is only for the sake of praise and gain, it will not amount to much. However, if he reveres the Buddha and follows the rule out of respect for the Buddha’s command, then he rightly deserves to be called a virtuous monk, not just “scrupulous "
Dhamma Dipani
Mara is not afraid of Monasteries or Robes!