Atheism as Egoism (Someone Else's Argument Not Mine)

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Atheism as Egoism (Someone Else's Argument Not Mine)

Post by Peter Kirby »

Apparently readers are supposed to agree with this or try to refute it because it's an "argument."

People say lots of things. :confusedsmiley:
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
spin

Post by spin »

I gather the writer couldn't help measuring his appendage and needed to explain his inadequacy.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:Apparently readers are supposed to agree with this or try to refute it because it's an "argument."

People say lots of things. :confusedsmiley:
I can write that sort of stuff. What are they paying?

Obviously it is not a survey but anecdotal. And as not a survey not raising the same issue among different social classes for comparison. And it is not the poor but both poor and "criminal" and it takes the prostitute hard luck story on face value, it gets bigger tips from the johns and are all quite similar. A prostitute and six kids? And to dumb to use condoms?

Perhaps Christmas brings out the cynic in me.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster
Blood

Post by Blood »

Poor, desperate people are the most likely to cling to religion. In other news, water is wet.

Dawkins is so damn smug. Why can't he just respect the opinions of people who believe the world in 6,000 years old? I mean, everybody has a right to their opinion, don't they?

Some religious people who are not so poor.

Kenneth Copeland – Copeland Ministries
Flies around in a $17.5 Jet, lives in a $6 million lakefront mansion with a 1,500 acre campus and a private airstrip. He and his wife make over $655,000 a year in salary alone. It’s not clear whether this includes speaking fees, book royalties, and “love offerings.”

Creflo Dollar – World Changers Church International
Drives a Rolls-Royce and lives in a Million dollar home in Atlanta, and a 2.5 million-dollar apartment in Manhattan. Dollar will not release his salary information.

John Hagee – Cornerstone Church
His last released salary was nearly $1 million per year (2004). Hagee does not release his earnings anymore.

Charles Blake – West Angeles Church of God in Christ
Owns a 10,000 square foot mansion in Beverly Hills (btw his congregation hails mostly from impoverished South Central LA)
His year salary is $900,000 per year.

Benny Hinn – Miracle Worker
In 1997 he admitted to making between $500k & $1 million dollars per year

Joel Osteen – Lakewood Church
Stopped taking his $200,000 salary several years ago. Makes tens of millions off of his numerous books. Joel & family live in a $10.5 million – get this – 17,000 square foot mansion. Treasures in heaven people
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

Perhaps. But as I said in other forum, why is my dog's POV inferior to mine? Sure, she has a hard time driving a car (always veers off the road plowing into a tree when she catches sight of a squirrel). But who's going to be happier when they die? As Montagne once wrote, never count someone happy until they die.
Everyone loves the happy times
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

stephan happy huller wrote:Perhaps. But as I said in other forum, why is my dog's POV inferior to mine? Sure, she has a hard time driving a car (always veers off the road plowing into a tree when she catches sight of a squirrel). But who's going to be happier when they die? As Montagne once wrote, never count someone happy until they die.
Once dead how can one be anything? Some may imagine being happy with oblivion but they can never know they are.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster