Christianity's contribution to western civilization?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
ghost

Re: Christianity's contribution to western civilization?

Post by ghost »

The first thing I linked to does not depend on the phantom-time hypothesis.
spin

Post by spin »

ghost wrote:The first thing I linked to does not depend on the phantom-time hypothesis.
Sorry, you want a serious reaction to the assertion that muslims were christians? Seriously? Did you read your interview of Ohlig? Did you find any substantive facts to support your assertion? Instead of spreading claims based on fluff, try to make an argument based on solid evidence that supports the currently ridiculous assertion that muslims were christians. We try to deal in facts, evidence and coherent arguments based on them. We might fail a lot but at least that's the standard we aspire to.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
ghost

Post by ghost »

Where do you think Islam comes from?

http://www.inarah.de
spin

Post by spin »

ghost wrote:Where do you think Islam comes from?

http://www.inarah.de
So you respond to questions by avoiding them and asking more? That doesn't get us any further. Why not respond to what I said and asked?
ghost

Post by ghost »

spin wrote:Sorry, you want a serious reaction to the assertion that muslims were christians?
Yes. Especially if it's the 7th and 8th centuries AD. They were followers of Syriac Christianity. Moreover, Mohammed comes from the Syriac Jesus.

I want you to take Inarah seriously. They have the best explanation I've seen of the emergence of Islam. Ohlig writes for Inarah.
spin

Post by spin »

ghost wrote:
spin wrote:Sorry, you want a serious reaction to the assertion that muslims were christians?
Yes. Especially if it's the 7th and 8th centuries AD. They were followers of Syriac Christianity. Moreover, Mohammed comes from the Syriac Jesus.
These are simple assertions. Do you think they are a sufficient substitute for evidence and argument?
ghost wrote:I want you to take Inarah seriously. They have the best explanation I've seen of the emergence of Islam. Ohlig writes for Inarah.
Why should I? It looks like crazy nonsense to me. What criteria do you use to decide that they "have the best explanation [..] of Islam"? What is wrong with the status quo analyses of the emergence of Islam?
ghost

Post by ghost »

spin wrote:What is wrong with the status quo analyses of the emergence of Islam?
These articles by Ibn Warraq will give you an idea:

http://www.inarah.de/cms/historical-met ... hilia.html
http://www.inarah.de/cms/some-aspects-o ... icism.html

The main problem is that in Islamic studies they usually don't do historical criticism. They just do textual criticism. The scholars in Islamic studies who do historical criticism are the exception rather than the norm. That's where Inarah comes in. Inarah is a bit like the Westar Institute or the Copenhagen school, but for proto-Islam.
spin

Post by spin »

ghost wrote:
spin wrote:What is wrong with the status quo analyses of the emergence of Islam?
These articles by Ibn Warraq will give you an idea:

http://www.inarah.de/cms/historical-met ... hilia.html
http://www.inarah.de/cms/some-aspects-o ... icism.html

The main problem is that in Islamic studies they usually don't do historical criticism. They just do textual criticism. The scholars in Islamic studies who do historical criticism are the exception rather than the norm. That's where Inarah comes in. Inarah is a bit like the Westar Institute or the Copenhagen school, but for proto-Islam.
If you can't seriously present the information you are touting, please don't bother sending people elsewhere. The people who wrote the material aren't here to answer questions. And if you are really interested in discussing the material, start a new thread. All you've done so far is ignore the o.p. to push some hobby horse, which has nothing to do with christianity's contribution to western civilization.
ghost

Post by ghost »

spin wrote:All you've done so far is ignore the o.p. to push some hobby horse, which has nothing to do with christianity's contribution to western civilization.
Why do you frame the conflict between Franks and Arabs as interreligious?
spin

Post by spin »

ghost wrote:
spin wrote:All you've done so far is ignore the o.p. to push some hobby horse, which has nothing to do with christianity's contribution to western civilization.
Why do you frame the conflict between Franks and Arabs as interreligious?
The notion of what christianity was in the west is clearly defined by the church of Rome and its system of beliefs, as supported by the Carolingians. If you felt that it was a significant issue in understanding Christianity's contribution to western civilization and thought that the Spanish-based muslims were of the same religious persuasion as that of the church of Rome, I'm sure you would have made a case.