Are Gnostics the Village Idiots?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

bbyrd009

Are Gnostics the Village Idiots?

Post by bbyrd009 »

"...Rejecting Aristotle's empiricism (intrinsic wealth) and riding the wave of Plato's speculative philosophies (fiat wealth), in the second century AD a similarly shadowy group began to apply our verb γινωσκω (ginosko) to themselves and their obtuse conviction that all matter is evil, and all things worthy of man's attention strictly immaterial. Since light, sound and even brain activity depend on material processes, true Gnostics allow themselves very little wiggle room and although fans of this bizarre stance abound until today, Gnostics are necessarily fantastically ignorant about the world they are part of.

Gnosticism in its many guises can only flourish in a society that cares for its feeble minded, and people can succumb to the lures of it only when their food, health care, and urban infrastructure are provided for by people that faithfully operate by means of the scientific method. Ancient people who lived much closer to nature and whose lives depended on the soundness of their information had very little use for predictions that didn't pan out (Proverbs 12:11, 28:19), and the peddlers of such misinformation were duly executed (Deuteronomy 18:20-22, 1 Kings 18:40)..." http://www.abarim-publications.com/Dict ... cLL-tFOmhA , "Don't sell the bike shop, Orville"
"No Son of Man may die for another's sins..." Ezekiel 18:20
bbyrd009

Re: Are Gnostics the Village Idiots?

Post by bbyrd009 »

"When facts become stable, they last for ever

Quite contrary to Gnosticism's cardinal tenet, the material universe is perfectly righteous and operates by virtue of perfect consistency. There exists no cheating or deception of any kind in the material universe, and you can bet your life that no material object will ever violate any of the laws that make the universe tick — hence scientists' firm trust in the conservation of energy, momentum, baryon number and so on. Hence also the material universe's divine ability to spawn life. The biosphere, having some righteous qualities still remaining, in turn has brought about the super-life forms we call colonies and cultures..." ibid
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

"Gnosticism (or philarguria; the "operating system" that comes from financial security instead of knowledge of the natural world — 1 TIMOTHY 6:10) is a comfortably rich man's philosophy, which not only promotes ignorance about the natural world and the universal freedom therein, but also allows the shameless exploitation of one's fellow creatures, and even provides a self-congratulatory golden ticket to a Willy Wonka afterlife. It's the stupidest and most irresponsible attitude one can have, and will not go unpunished (MATTHEW 19:19, LUKE 16:25, 1 JOHN 3:17)..." ibid
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

not sure i see the big problem, people are going to believe different things, that's life
if its that bad it won't catch on that much anyway but the kind of people it attracts still will exist, again that's life
basically i think we live in a market place of ideas and each one has its proponents and so on
why such a thing against gnostics?
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

davidmartin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:20 pm not sure i see the big problem, people are going to believe different things, that's life
if its that bad it won't catch on that much anyway but the kind of people it attracts still will exist, again that's life
basically i think we live in a market place of ideas and each one has its proponents and so on
why such a thing against gnostics?
oh, actually i totally agree with you there, no judgement for beliefs whatever that i can find anyway
just tryna yank GBs chain a little :)
but tbh at this point i fear he is maybe not well
ha i was hoping he would come yell at me i guess
pontificate or whatever
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Allegedly, Plotinus had something to say about the gnostics. The following synposis gives a good overview.
Synopsis: Ch.1 Argument against the existence of more than one first principle and more than one nous. Why there must be so many and only so many intelligible entities—a consideration that pervades the next chapters. Ch.2 Three forces in the soul, making it swerve towards the better and the worse. Ch.3 The dependency of the lower on the higher; the intelligible will never shut itself away and abandon the corporeal. Ch.4 The Soul couldn’t have erred in the creation of this world: this world is as perfect as a corporeal world can be. Ch.5 First aporias of Gnostic cosmogony. Ch.6 Appropriation and misuse of Plato and the multiplication of entities. Plotinus uses Ockham’s razor against the Gnostics. An account of the basic truths and falsehoods of Gnosticism. Ch.7 Unlike our individual souls the universal Soul remains unaffected by its body. Partaking in it, we must follow its rhythm, lest we be crushed by a God who means no harm. Ch.8 Further considerations on the world creation by the Soul; the homology of the ontological and the moral good. Ch.9 Indifference to worldly goods; hierarchy recast in the intelligible and reflected in the sensible. Advocacy of piety and humility with regard to one’s own excellence. The Gnostic arrogance of claiming exclusively the attention of the God, is not only a moral, but an epistemic fallacy too. The primary concern of the God is the greatest perfection of the whole. Ch.10 The true intention of the letter: its address of friends. The absurd and blasphemous Gnostic genealogy of creation, resulting in a Demiurge made of matter. Ch.11 Refutation of the Gnostic cosmology. Why would the universal Soul create the Demiurge to produce the world, instead of creating it directly? If the Demiurge is an independent essence, like the Soul, and its nature is material it will lack the imagination required in planning and producing the world. If a contemplation, as the Gnostics claim, it will need to receive its creating power from the Soul and wouldn’t be a true creator. Ch.12 Further problems of the Gnostic doctrine. The question of the creation of the world in accordance or against the nature of the Soul; the question of the origin of the darkness into which the world came to be. Ch.13 The false Gnostic drama of an evil divine order replaced by the truth of an ascending goodness and perfection. Ch.14 The Gnostic folly of claiming mastery over gods and spirits of disease, by words, incantation and spells. The significance of diet. Advocacy of clarity, simplicity, piety, dignity, reason and courage. Ch.15 The effect of philosophy upon its recipients. The question of virtue. Ch.16 A defense of the divine, through providence and design. Ch.17 A defense through the structure of Beauty Ch.18 Advocacy of gratitude for the body, of the celestial kinship of souls, of the imitation of the Soul. [Georgios Tsagdis]
https://plotinusarchive.wordpress.com/2 ... -gnostics/

bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

i'm sure Gnostic is defined by every individual as uniquely as every other label or term, despite any official dictionary definition, but a Roman's take in it migt be valuable, ty
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Just noted the O.P., Thanks for this opportunity to show others how ignorant you are of Gnostic Christianity.

You begin well on that path by using a quote as your main statement.

Just what is it about Gnostic Christian beliefs that you think idiotic?

I have already corrected some of your more idiotic notions of us and since those corrections did not take, I see you as the idiot.

Do you trust Arnoldo, a stranger to me, to referee?

Let him decide who is the idiot, idiot, and that way we do not have to waste time calling each other names and ignoring each others points.

Cowards can never be moral.

Regards
DL
bbyrd009

Post by bbyrd009 »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:20 pm Just noted the O.P., Thanks for this opportunity to show others how ignorant you are of Gnostic Christianity.

I have already corrected some of your more idiotic notions of us and since those corrections did not take, I see you as the idiot.

Let him decide who is the idiot, idiot, and that way we do not have to waste time calling each other names and ignoring each others points.

Regards
DL
um, i think "village idiot" is kinda meant in a different sense there, but its been a while since i read the article.
anyway, i was just goosing you lol
but i mean the title did fit the article right :)
seems like the article did make some point or other, if you want to comment on that ill review

hny gb

ps i think youre an atheist? or at least you sure seem mad at Yah g
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

bbyrd009 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:12 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:20 pm Just noted the O.P., Thanks for this opportunity to show others how ignorant you are of Gnostic Christianity.

Regards
DL
um, i think "village idiot" is kinda meant in a different sense there, but its been a while since i read the article.
anyway, i was just goosing you lol
but i mean the title did fit the article right :)
seems like the article did make some point or other, if you want to comment on that ill review

hny gb

ps i think youre an atheist? or at least you sure seem mad at Yah g
I still consider myself a cut above atheists and agnostics but they are catching up to me now that they are opening atheist churches.

I am not angry with the imaginary Yahweh. I am angry with his vile homophobic and misogynous religion and how moral people will follow a genocidal prick of a god.

I am angry with Satan worship by immoral fools.

As to Gnosticism, pick your issue.

Regards
DL