C.S. Lewis on anthropomorphic language

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

bskeptic

Re: C.S. Lewis on anthropomorphic language

Post by bskeptic »

spin wrote: You're the one asserting that it doesn't interest me
Oh, so the subject does interest you then?
spin wrote: I don't know why you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here.
spin

Post by spin »

bskeptic wrote:
spin wrote: You're the one asserting that it doesn't interest me
Oh, so the subject does interest you then?
You've already told me three times it does not. And of course you should know.
bskeptic wrote:
spin wrote: I don't know why you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here.
Why could you assume it was of interest to anyone here? Are you prepared to respond now? After your initial post you've been anything but transparent. Do you want to start again and speak to the o.p. or do you want to forget about it and dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee?
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
bskeptic

Post by bskeptic »

spin wrote: You've already told me three times it does not. And of course you should know.
I was just going off your own words. Have I misunderstood you?
You appear to be doubting that the OP is of interest. So do you personally find the OP of interest or not? Yes or No?
spin

Post by spin »

bskeptic wrote:
spin wrote: You've already told me three times it does not. And of course you should know.
I was just going off your own words.
Maybe riffing off my words.
bskeptic wrote:Have I misunderstood you?
Isn't it a bit late to ask that?
bskeptic wrote:
You appear to be doubting that the OP is of interest. So do you personally find the OP of interest or not? Yes or No?
I showed interest in the o.p. when I first responded to it. But the only thing I've learned from you is that you may not have presented the o.p. in a clear manner. You didn't respond to the content of that post other than to tell me where my interests don't lie. Perhaps if you responded to less defensively you might make a conversation out of it yet.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

bskeptic wrote:Lewis is correct. While anthropomorphic language may fall short of explaining a God that is far beyond us it is the best language we can find for humans are the most “god-like” figures in creation. When we attempt to venture away from anthropomorphic language toward something that sounds “deeper” and more philosophical we may find that we are speaking of a depersonalized deity that is more of an oblong glob than a god.
This seems consistent with Eusebius of Caesarea, who wrote in Chapter 31, Book 12 of his Evangelical Preparation:
  • Now you may find in the Hebrew Scriptures also thousands of such passages concerning God as though He were jealous, or sleeping, or angry, or subject to any other human passions, which passages are adopted for the benefit of those who need this mode of instruction.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
bskeptic

Post by bskeptic »

spin wrote: I showed interest in the o.p. when I first responded to it. But the only thing I've learned from you is that you may not have presented the o.p. in a clear manner.
If you're interested in the OP issue, then I don't have a clue why you are saying:

"I don't know why you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here."

I guess it's of interest to you and of relevance to you!
spin

Post by spin »

bskeptic wrote:
spin wrote: I showed interest in the o.p. when I first responded to it. But the only thing I've learned from you is that you may not have presented the o.p. in a clear manner.
If you're interested in the OP issue, then I don't have a clue why you are saying:

"I don't know why you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here."

Jeez, how long are you going to avoid dealing with it? Why do you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here? There. I've shown interest in the o.p. yet again. Can you answer the question?
bskeptic

Post by bskeptic »

spin wrote:
bskeptic wrote:

Jeez, how long are you going to avoid dealing with it? Why do you feel you can assume it is of interest that someone in the 1940s made such an assertion or what relevance it would have to anyone here? There. I've shown interest in the o.p. yet again. Can you answer the question?
I don't know what your position even is. Do you find the OP issue to be of interest or not?

spin

Post by spin »

If you can't answer a simple question, I guess you're just not that interested.
bskeptic

Post by bskeptic »

spin wrote:If you can't answer a simple question, I guess you're just not that interested.
You aren't answering my simple question.

I can't reply to you, if I don't know what your position is or what you are trying to say.

So again:

I don't know what your position even is. Do you find the OP issue to be of interest or not?