Atheists Used to Take the Idea of God Seriously

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
hjalti

Re: Atheists Used to Take the Idea of God Seriously

Post by hjalti »

John T wrote:
The "New Atheists" claim they believe in separation of church and state yet they sue the state to outlaw all religious views but their own.
The article exposes the hypocrisy of the militant atheists and I'm sure the book does more of the same.
Who are these "militant atheists"?

And where do "New atheists" sue the state to "outlaw all religious views but their own"?

Like our benevolent forum dictator said "Nonsense".
John T

Post by John T »

ghost wrote:
John T wrote:Please pick-up a copy of the WSJ dated Tuesday, July 15, 2014.
It's this article?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/supreme- ... 1405391861
Yes, that is the article.
Thanks for providing the link.
In the article there are a several good examples of atheist groups respectfully asserting their 1st amendment rights. We need more of that (including here on this forum) and less of the evangelical/militant atheists as described in the Slate article.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
John T

Post by John T »

Thor posted: "He [John T] implies his own religion represents a certain political ideology, and opposing political ideology is supported in some way by imagined relation with atheism. It probably follows something like : Political left = Communist = Atheis.

I did not say or imply that at all.
However, "Atheists tend to support Liberal or Social Democrat parties."...http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/Atheist_Politics

Now as far as the charge for me to prove that some atheist groups have/will sue the state government to remove all religious beliefs/symbols except for their own, well that is what lead to the recent ruling by the SCOTUS.

"The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), led by Dan Barker, similarly sent a letter earlier this month to Springfield, Illinois Mayor J. Michael Houston to demand that he cease his “grossly illegal” involvement in a city prayer breakfast. The organization, which often files lawsuits to challenge religion in public life, could sue Houston if his response is not satisfactory."...http://christiannews.net/2012/11/23/ath ... -meetings/

Let's try to keep this civil and stick with facts and not stoop to ad hominem attacks.

Thanks in advance.
Respectfully,

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

John T wrote:
ghost wrote:
John T wrote:Please pick-up a copy of the WSJ dated Tuesday, July 15, 2014.
It's this article?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/supreme- ... 1405391861
Yes, that is the article.
Thanks for providing the link.
In the article there are a several good examples of atheist groups respectfully asserting their 1st amendment rights. We need more of that (including here on this forum) and less of the evangelical/militant atheists as described in the Slate article.
That article talks about the FFRF. If they aren't "militant atheists", then who are?
John T

Post by John T »

hjalti posted: "That article talks about the FFRF. If they aren't "militant atheists", then who are?"

Answer: From the American Heritage College Dictionary,..militant: 2. Having a combative character; aggressive, esp. on behalf of a cause.

I think that should do it, if not, than I feel sorry for you.
That will be all for this thread, thank you.
Bye, bye. :)

Respectfully,
John T
Thor

Post by Thor »

I did not say or imply that at all. However, "Atheists tend to support Liberal or Social Democrat parties."...http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/Atheist_Politics.
Your link to this "atheist wiki" use the claim of one blogger who says that is what he choose to believe until someone can prove him wrong. Why some should imagine there being need for such site is difficult to understand.

It is strange to see a specific position on a view, being embraced as if it represented a certain way of life. To me it comes of as a bit "cultish", but that is my cultural bias. My point was that if one looks beyond the limited squabble, one would understand that the connection between religious views and political ideology is interpreted beyond what evidence support. To make it easy I can simply mention the "Hispanic/Latino" segment of US citizens. Do they vote right as other christian groups are known to do? In my country the non-religious/atheists lean towards political parties to the right.

I understand people in the USA are divided within ideological positions as claimed in article from this blogger. But this does not change the fact that atheism does not represent a certain set of values and political views. If a dogma/doctrine is attached to atheism, it is simply a "cult". Nonetheless people will believe what they want, as it is our human condition.