Where do we go when we die?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
cmarie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Where do we go when we die?

Post by cmarie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Okay, I'm just going to ask it. What happens when we die? Is there a Heaven/Hell?

My background is: Catholic to (born again) Christian and now I am am finding the real Jesus to be more gnostic. I am still somewhat new to this, and (to me) I feel an answer in some simple form (for now) is of great importance. Once I realized that I might not have a spiritual savior, I find that I feel a bit overwhelmed and am in spiritual peril in regards to the afterlife.

Thank you.

User avatar
Blood
Posts: 896
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 am

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Blood » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm

If you're good, the Elysian Fields.

If you're bad, Tartaros.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:58 am

cmarie wrote:Okay, I'm just going to ask it. What happens when we die? Is there a Heaven/Hell?

My background is: Catholic to (born again) Christian and now I am am finding the real Jesus to be more gnostic. I am still somewhat new to this, and (to me) I feel an answer in some simple form (for now) is of great importance. Once I realized that I might not have a spiritual savior, I find that I feel a bit overwhelmed and am in spiritual peril in regards to the afterlife.

Thank you.
Fear not.

As a Gnostic Christian and Universalist, I believe in a heaven but not a hell. We think of ourselves as having a spark of God within us and God does not lose any of his essence, ever.

Having pushed my apotheosis, which all Gnostic Christians should be working on, as well as all people, I have confirmed this but as is the case in all apotheosis, there is no proof to show. So I only offer this as an anecdotal story.

Why do you feel in spiritual peril? Are your morals as poor as most Christians, Catholics and Muslims?

Regards
DL

Thor
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Thor » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:03 pm

cmarie wrote:Okay, I'm just going to ask it. What happens when we die? Is there a Heaven/Hell?

My background is: Catholic to (born again) Christian and now I am am finding the real Jesus to be more gnostic. I am still somewhat new to this, and (to me) I feel an answer in some simple form (for now) is of great importance. Once I realized that I might not have a spiritual savior, I find that I feel a bit overwhelmed and am in spiritual peril in regards to the afterlife.

Thank you.
Do we need to go somewhere? Why have concerns regarding death involving own expectations or not? What makes death in any way even remotely appealing compared to the wonderful mystery of the only reality we know of, which is being alive.

If the experience of being alive does not offer satisfactions, one can not find such in death either. Never being satisfied, always desiring, always craving, is surely close to how hell is imagined. Both in life or in death.

User avatar
John T
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by John T » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm

You asked a serious question from a Christian point of view, so you should get a biblical answer and not Catholic dogma or smart-aleck comments from atheists.

1. The dead know nothing (Ecc 9:5) and are not in heaven or hell. The Bible does not mention anything about limbo.
2. Christ is the firstborn of the dead. Rev 1:5.
3. Upon the return of the Lord himself, the dead in Christ will awaken in heaven. 1 Thess 4:13-18.

In short, when you die you are dead and will not know/feel anything until the resurrection.

The gnostic version of heaven is from Greek mythology and not what Jesus taught to his disciples.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

User avatar
Leucius Charinus
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 pm
Location: memoriae damnatio

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Leucius Charinus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:26 pm

cmarie wrote:What happens when we die?
Where do we come from when we were born?
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 pm

John T wrote:You asked a serious question from a Christian point of view, so you should get a biblical answer and not Catholic dogma or smart-aleck comments from atheists.

1. The dead know nothing (Ecc 9:5) and are not in heaven or hell. The Bible does not mention anything about limbo.
2. Christ is the firstborn of the dead. Rev 1:5.
3. Upon the return of the Lord himself, the dead in Christ will awaken in heaven. 1 Thess 4:13-18.

In short, when you die you are dead and will not know/feel anything until the resurrection.

The gnostic version of heaven is from Greek mythology and not what Jesus taught to his disciples.
Really. Gnostic Christian hell is like the Greek myths.

As a Universalist religion, Gnostic Christians should not have a need for a hell.

This I have to read so please, link me up to anything that makes that connection.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Leucius Charinus wrote:
cmarie wrote:What happens when we die?
Where do we come from when we were born?
From a womb.

How does that relate to the question?

Regards
DL

User avatar
Peter Kirby
Site Admin
Posts: 5371
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 pm
Location: Santa Clara
Contact:

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Peter Kirby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:
cmarie wrote:What happens when we die?
Where do we come from when we were born?
From a womb.

How does that relate to the question?

Regards
DL
The question doesn't refer to the physical body. We all know where the physical body goes - in the dirt.

The question refers to the "I," consciousness, or what some call spirit or soul.

In which case the answer does relate to the question - the answer suggests that the implied experience of consciousness prior to life (remember much?) may be very much like that after death - i.e., it is implied to be nothing.

It's not so much a deduction as a primer for understanding as far as arguments go (but it's not like there's much argument to the contrary either).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Gnostic Bishop » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I get it now.

This pertains to reincarnation.

Has you ever noticed that at their conventions and gatherings there are always 2 or 3 Lincolns, Joans of Arks and Ghengis Khans?

Strange eh?

Regards
DL

Post Reply