Where do we go when we die?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
John T

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by John T »

Not a problem.

I was not claiming to know the specific doctrines of your particular denomination. You asked for any source to back up my claim that modern day Gnostic's do indeed have a need for hell in their doctrine and believe in reincarnation. I thought I provided a good source but you did not acknowledge it.

As far as what your church of Universalist Gnostic Christians believe, I really am not interested but wish you well in your inner-search for peace.

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:Not a problem.

I was not claiming to know the specific doctrines of your particular denomination. You asked for any source to back up my claim that modern day Gnostic's do indeed have a need for hell in their doctrine and believe in reincarnation. I thought I provided a good source but you did not acknowledge it.

As far as what your church of Universalist Gnostic Christians believe, I really am not interested but wish you well in your inner-search for peace.

Sincerely,
John T
You are not a woman or you might care because of the discrimination of the mainstream religions against women.

Even moral men will care for justice for their wives, daughters and mothers. :confusedsmiley:

Regards
DL
John T

Post by John T »

"Modern Gnostic Christians do not believe in reincarnation nor do we believe in reading any scriptures literally."...Gnostic Bishop

I'm not at all surprised to read that.

Still, that doesn't change my point which was, Gnosticism was founded upon the belief that reincarnation was for those who failed to obtain enlightenment.

Gnosticism: The doctrines and practices of several pre-Christian pagan, Jewish, and early Christian sects in which it was held that a secret knowledge could secure release for the soul from imprisonment in the material body... American Heritage

Gnosticism (past and present) reads too much like what Genesis warns mankind about. Satan wants all women (men as well) to believe they will become like God if only they could get the secret knowledge contained within the forbidden fruit. Genesis 3:1-6

Still, I wish you well in finding the inner-peace that you are searching for.

Best wishes,

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Since people of today are better educated than the ancients, secret knowledge is a phrase that means nothing. There is no longer any secret knowledge other than the lying that all the churches do to their sheep.

Regards
DL
spin

Post by spin »

cmarie wrote:Okay, I'm just going to ask it. What happens when we die?
What happens to a candle flame when the candle is used up?
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
John T

Post by John T »

spin wrote:
Allow me to rephrase the question: What happens to the light when the candle flame goes out?
Answer: Light continues to travel until it is absorbed and takes on a new form.

Just because the flame no longer shines does not mean the previous light from that flame died with it.
Just because the flesh dies does not mean the soul dies with it.
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:
spin wrote:
Allow me to rephrase the question: What happens to the light when the candle flame goes out?
The question was not about the light, but about the flame--you know, the bright thing at the top end of the candle. You don't seem to have quite grasped the notion of "rephrasing", which does not involve changing the meaning.
John T wrote:Answer: Light continues to travel until it is absorbed and takes on a new form.

Just because the flame no longer shines does not mean the previous light from that flame died with it.
The coprolite the archaeologist finds does not indicate the depositor lives.

If you'd like to answer the question I asked, do go ahead.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:
spin wrote:
Answer: Light continues to travel until it is absorbed and takes on a new form.

No argument that all go sub atomic eventually, entropy, but that also means that there is no way for cohesion of consciousness to maintain itself. Unless telepathy is real. Only that I think would show consciousness maintaining cohesion.

Without telepathy and cohesion of consciousness somehow, all will die if entropy is real, and it seems to be.

Regards
DL
John T

Post by John T »

"The question was not about the light, but about the flame--you know, the bright thing at the top end of the candle. You don't seem to have quite grasped the notion of "rephrasing", which does not involve changing the meaning."..Spin

Well, excuse me.
Pray tell just what do you mean by that 'bright thing' at the top end of the candle? If not light what are you inferring to,..the wick?
This should be fun to watch Spin try to spin his way out of this one. :popcorn:
John T

Post by John T »

No argument that all go sub atomic eventually, entropy, but that also means that there is no way for cohesion of consciousness to maintain itself. Unless telepathy is real. Only that I think would show consciousness maintaining cohesion...Gnostic Bishop

Most people don't realize that your question and answer goes way back to the Presocratics, 500 B.C. which is long before the Gnostics put pen to paper. The soul was believed to be made up of the smallest parts of matter (sub atomic).

Two famous atomists were, Leucippus and Democritus from the 6th century B.C.

The mind being part of the soul could not be destroyed unlike the fleshy body or brain.

Modern Gnosticism is presocratic philosophy wrapped up in a new package with a fancy bow on top.
Gnostics haven't thought outside of their box in over 2,000 years.