Where do we go when we die?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
spin

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by spin »

John T wrote:"The question was not about the light, but about the flame--you know, the bright thing at the top end of the candle. You don't seem to have quite grasped the notion of "rephrasing", which does not involve changing the meaning."..Spin

Well, excuse me.
Pray tell just what do you mean by that 'bright thing' at the top end of the candle?
I really didn't want to further burden your already taxed facilities, when all you had to do was look at the end of the candle to see a flame. But as you insist, the bright thing at the top of a candle—the flame—is a body of gas around the wick that is incandescent. The flame produces light, but it is not light, just as an incandescent filament inside an old lightbulb produces light, but is not light. It's better to be silent than to advertise lack of knowledge.
John T wrote:If not light what are you inferring to,..the wick?
This should be fun to watch Spin try to spin his way out of this one. :popcorn:
Ffs, grow a brain.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
John T

Post by John T »

@ Spin,

You wrote: "the flame—is a body of gas around the wick that is incandescent. The flame produces light, but it is not light, just as an incandescent filament inside an old lightbulb produces light, but is not light. It's better to be silent than to advertise lack of knowledge."...spin

However, Incandescent: Emitting visible light as a result of being heated...American Heritage

"incandescent" means light.

Now I suspect Spin will try to spin like Bill Clinton and say it all depends on what the definition of is, is. :lol:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:No argument that all go sub atomic eventually, entropy, but that also means that there is no way for cohesion of consciousness to maintain itself. Unless telepathy is real. Only that I think would show consciousness maintaining cohesion...Gnostic Bishop

Most people don't realize that your question and answer goes way back to the Presocratics, 500 B.C. which is long before the Gnostics put pen to paper. The soul was believed to be made up of the smallest parts of matter (sub atomic).

Two famous atomists were, Leucippus and Democritus from the 6th century B.C.

The mind being part of the soul could not be destroyed unlike the fleshy body or brain.

Modern Gnosticism is presocratic philosophy wrapped up in a new package with a fancy bow on top.
Gnostics haven't thought outside of their box in over 2,000 years.
How could they? They were not around. We are now but that does not mean that we have not evolved.

If God cannot evolve then he is a stagnating pool of ancient garbage.

Further, I see Gnostic Christianity as close to the older Jewish Kabbalah so their tradition is older than 500 BCE.

I don't think we can ever really prove this though from this far up the time line. Christianity destroyed too much evidence when they decimated my founders. I see it as Christianity turning on it's parent religion which was Gnostic Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

Regards
DL
John T

Post by John T »

@Gnostic Bishop,

I watched your short video by Timohty Freke.
Thanks.

He says a lot that is true and good but also says a lot that is false and bad, e.g. Rome [under Constantine] adopted Christianity, [true and good] only to bring on the dark ages [false and bad].

Freke takes offense to dogma, e.g. "you must literally believe in the Son of God to be saved." Yet, Freke substitutes Christian dogma for his own, i.e. you can obtain your own salvation through mystical wisdom.

He did get one thing right, "Everyone has got their own personal Jesus [way to salvation]" and Freke feels he found his own personal savior which is discovering his inner higher spiritual form, I suspect, thus making Freke a god. We are all gods trapped in an earthly body, is that about it? How quaint! Where have I read that before?

Good on Freke but what is the evidence behind his inner wisdom that his salvation is based on?
If it is not based on secret knowledge then what is it?
My guess is you have to go through an expensive $$$$ (copyrighted) indoctrination program to find out.
Freke's philosophy is presocratic and nothing new.
You can find the core of it in ancient philosophy.
If you need help I can show you where he likely got it from.

Still, thanks for sharing.
I wish you the best in seeking your inner-peace.

Regards,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Tom

If not Christianity, what brought on the Dark Ages and the Inquisition?

As to where Timothy Freke and where or how he determined he his Godliness, I don't know. Perhaps the same place I did.

This thinking is the Gnostic Christian’s goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

------------------------------

Are you familiar with, --- as above so below?

Do you have children?
Do you want them to remain less than you or would you prefer that they exceed whatever you are?

I want mine to trump whatever I am. If you want the same for yours, then if we are not all God WIP's, why do you think God would want less for his children than you want for yours?

Is he less of a parent than you and I?

Regards
DL
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:@ Spin,

You wrote: "the flame—is a body of gas around the wick that is incandescent. The flame produces light, but it is not light, just as an incandescent filament inside an old lightbulb produces light, but is not light. It's better to be silent than to advertise lack of knowledge."...spin

However,
One expects some sign of ensuing logic when confronted with the word "however", but let's return to the current reality...
John T wrote:Incandescent: Emitting visible light as a result of being heated...American Heritage

If you cannot make distinctions such as that which emits light and that which is light, you must have grave difficulties confronting the real world. You emit a lot of hot air, but would you go so far as to say you are just hot air? The distinction between source and product is not usually so challenging.
John T wrote:Now I suspect Spin will try to spin like Bill Clinton and say it all depends on what the definition of is, is. :lol:
:tomato:
John T

Post by John T »

"If you cannot make distinctions such as that which emits light and that which is light, you must have grave difficulties confronting the real world."...Spin

Yes, exactly, that is your problem. Now that you know you are in the cave of spin (cognitive dissonance) do you want out?

Have faith in me, you are standing on the next to last step of denial which is, (pun intended) what is the difference between "becoming" and "is".
The bottom step of denial is, wait for it...it depends on what the definition of "is", "is". :banghead:

Go ahead you can do it, go ahead and step down to the bottom step.
I will be here to catch you if you fall due to the blinding light of truth and safely lead you out of the 'allegory of the cave'. :P
John T

Post by John T »

@Gnostic Bishop,

The Gnostic goal is to realize you are equal to God?
Once again it sounds like something that Satan would have you believe. Remember the story of the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden?

I watched, (for a second time) Alan Watts on the book of Eli.
The video reminds me of the ride at Disney World called, Soarin. Really cool!
I like it for the music and the images of flying through clouds but wisdom/clarity, not so much. Watts theory of immortality is a nothing more than a modern version of Pythagoras transmigration.
My guess is Alan Watts is also a vegetarian.

He stated the religion of Jesus was not militant but Watts wants to burn Bibles every Easter. Does Watts also want to storm heaven by force just like Satan?
Nothing new here.
With that, I see nothing more to gain by looking at anything else you have to offer if that was your best stuff.
Still, I thank you for sharing your religious beliefs and wish you all the best in seeking inner-peace.

Regards,
John T
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:"If you cannot make distinctions such as that which emits light and that which is light, you must have grave difficulties confronting the real world."...Spin

Yes, exactly, that is your problem. Now that you know you are in the cave of spin (cognitive dissonance) do you want out?

Have faith in me, you are standing on the next to last step of denial which is, (pun intended) what is the difference between "becoming" and "is".
The bottom step of denial is, wait for it...it depends on what the definition of "is", "is". :banghead:

Go ahead you can do it, go ahead and step down to the bottom step.
I will be here to catch you if you fall due to the blinding light of truth and safely lead you out of the 'allegory of the cave'. :P
:popcorn:

Watching this vapid smokescreen of yours dissipate, let me remind you that you are the brightspark who wrote this:
John T wrote:Incandescent: Emitting visible light as a result of being heated...American Heritage

Your dictionary says that "incandescent" means "emitting visible light...", yet you, contrarily, say it means "light". I recommend to the casual reader to trust the dictionary and overlook your incomprehension. You don't seem to understand analogies. You don't understand the dictionary you used and you can't maintain a logical train of thought.

You can go back to your cave now.

:tombstone:
John T

Post by John T »

You [John T] don't seem to understand analogies...Spin

My original answer was in response to your smart-alack analogy but instead I used the form of a simple scientific fact and I stand by it: "Just because the flame no longer shines does not mean the previous light from that flame died with it."

Now you are trying to spin your way out by switching to the topic of analogies?
Stop spinning and own what you wrote.

You used the word 'incandescent' not me. I provided the definition to show you it is nothing but a fancy word for light.

Now, in your latest attempt at spin, are you trying to say a candle can have a flame but not emit light? Are you thinking of one of those trick birthday candles that you can blow out and it lights back up? :goodmorning:

You are a hoot spin.
Let's play some more.