Where do we go when we die?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Gnostic Bishop

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:@Gnostic Bishop,
The Gnostic goal is to realize you are equal to God?
Once again it sounds like something that Satan would have you believe.

Yet is Jesus showing the way. Are you saying Jesus is Satan?

Remember the story of the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden?
There was no fruit. It was knowledge of almost everything. God wanted to keep A & E as bright as bricks and Eve di the right thing by choosing knowledge over ignorant bliss.
I watched, (for a second time) Alan Watts on the book of Eli.
The video reminds me of the ride at Disney World called, Soarin. Really cool!
I like it for the music and the images of flying through clouds but wisdom/clarity, not so much. Watts theory of immortality is a nothing more than a modern version of Pythagoras transmigration.
My guess is Alan Watts is also a vegetarian.

I don't know and don't care. It is the word of Jesus and his message that are important. But thanks for trying to deflect.
He stated the religion of Jesus was not militant but Watts wants to burn Bibles every Easter. Does Watts also want to storm heaven by force just like Satan?
Nothing new here.
With that, I see nothing more to gain by looking at anything else you have to offer if that was your best stuff.
Still, I thank you for sharing your religious beliefs and wish you all the best in seeking inner-peace.

Regards,
John T
Eagerness to talk of anything but what Jesus said and taught shows how devoid of wisdom you are and how uncomfortable it makes you.

Regards
DL
John T

Post by John T »

I'm reading a book by Bart D. Ehrman, "Did Jesus Exist?".

Ehrman took the time to expose Gnostics like Freke and Peter Gandy by compiling a short list of "patently false information and inconsistencies" from their book: "The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus: a Pagan God?"

You may call their version of Gnosticism wisdom but it demonstrably false and nonsensical to me.
Still, may you find your inner-peace.

Regards,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:I'm reading a book by Bart D. Ehrman, "Did Jesus Exist?".

Ehrman took the time to expose Gnostics like Freke and Peter Gandy by compiling a short list of "patently false information and inconsistencies" from their book: "The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus: a Pagan God?"

You may call their version of Gnosticism wisdom but it demonstrably false and nonsensical to me.
Still, may you find your inner-peace.

Regards,
John T
He also did quite a job of showing us what the bible is.

Pseudepigrapha forgeries and plagiarized works.

Yep. Lets trust the bible.

Regards
DL
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:You [John T] don't seem to understand analogies...Spin
Yup, You couldn't cope with the analogy so you went off on a tangent about light. I showed you the stupidity of your approach with another analogy regarding you producing a lot of hot air, so that you might see that the producer was not the product and hence the flame is not the light. Again you failed to grasp the issue, derailed by your own vain commitments.
My original answer was in response to your smart-alack analogy...
The reason you gave your simplistic polemical response was that you refused to deal with the analogy honestly. You call it here "smart-aleck", showing your unwillingness to consider the analogy rationally. The song and dance you have performed thus far merely shows how poorly you allow yourself to think freely.
...but instead I used the form of a simple scientific fact and I stand it now...
You simply demonstrate that you are refractory and are still not dealing with the topic.
"Just because the flame no longer shines does not mean the previous light from that flame died with it."
The statement is basically correct, but irrelevant, as the topic was not the light, but the flame.. And as you are analogy-challenged, you make it hard for yourself to see your blunder.
Now you are trying to spin...
You've had enough opportunity to stop breaking netiquette, but you continue to misuse my nick. You attempts at wit merely show your puerility.
...your way out by switching to the topic of analogies?
Stop spinning and own what you wrote.

You used the word 'incandescent' not me. I provided the definition to show you it is nothing but a fancy word for light.
You can't even see how fucked up you are! You gave a dictionary definition which was correct and you proceeded to contradict it. That which produces light (incandescent) is not light. The producer is not the product, ie "flame" is not a fancy word for light, but a producer of light. But there's no backing down here: you've made your blunder and you're sticking to it. You could not respond to the original candle analogy honestly now if you tried.
Now, in your latest attempt at spin, are you trying to say a candle can have a flame but not emit light?
This is an enthrallingly stupid conjecture on your part. The flame, we have noted, is incandescent, ie it produces (=emits) light. How can you persist with such blundering? It is only entertaining up to a point and then one starts feeling embarrassed for you.

And let's just remember that you are equivocating regard the significance of light: Light continues to travel until it is absorbed and takes on a new form. Clearly you are talking on a subatomic level as to the significance of light, ie particles (photons) that continue to travel until they are absorbed into bigger particles. The term "light" is also commonly used for a light producer, as in "turn on the light", "headlight", "flashlight". You exclude the common usage of "light" when you talk of light traveling until absorbed. A flashlight does not travel until it is absorbed. :roll:

(For any other person who might venture to read this stuff: the problem regarding the significance of light evinced by John T is similar to the use of certain terms used on this forum frequently. Consider the usage of "historical" which has a common meaning of "factual" and a number of more complex meanings. One can slip from one meaning to another without being aware.)
Are you thinking of one of those trick birthday candles that you can blow out and it lights back up? :goodmorning:

You are a hoot spin.
Let's play some more.
Don't you think you've made enough a fool of yourself for one day?
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
John T

Post by John T »

Now you got it!
You may take your seat, Spin.
So, class, what did we learn?

The body is the candle, flame is life and the light is the soul.

You can use up the body (candle) and extinguish the life (flame) but that does not destroy the soul (light). See 1 John 1:5-10.

Gnosticism 101, class dismissed. :D

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:Now you got it!
I got it at the first when you lost the plot. The rest has been attempts to bring you back and you dodging reality.
John T wrote:You may take your seat, Spin.
I sat down when the John T comedy hour began.

:popcorn:
John T wrote:So, class, what did we learn?
How some christians have difficulties with reality.
John T wrote:The body is the candle, flame is life and the light is the soul.
The one constant in your thought is how to weasel out of the original analogy. At least you have now stopped contradicting the dictionary you cited. However, you are now selling what turns out to be a weird variety of reincarnation, for naturally that entity which you nominate here as the "soul", ie light, ends up in all sorts of different bodies after it is emitted.

Hilariously, we are asked, in this poorly thought-out rehash of yours, to imagine a body slowly losing its soul as it continues to exist, as a candle gives off its light and that light/soul being absorbed in all sorts of diverse bodies. This is certainly a new gospel, John. Think of it, the Church of the Dissipating Soul!
John T wrote:You can use up the body (candle) and extinguish the life (flame) but that does not destroy the soul (light). See 1 John 1:5-10.

Gnosticism 101, class dismissed. :D

John T
You've skewered yourself once again.

:facepalm:
John T

Post by John T »

I must confess, I had a self-serving agenda.

I did it to see if you had any humility, even in humor.

I was not surprised.
Still it was fun verifying it.

We do have to play this game again, it's quite a hoot watching you twist and spin.
Until then,
Best wishes,
John T
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:I must confess, I had a self-serving agenda.

I did it to see if you had any humility, even in humor.

I was not surprised.
Still it was fun verifying it.

We do have to play this game again, it's quite a hoot watching you twist and spin.
Until then,
Best wishes,
John T
Yes, John Boy, it's true, you did show a self-serving agenda... regarding your religious commitments and how they manipulate your thinking processes.

You long ago earned a place on my ignore list, but I was interested to see if you could give a rational response to the candle analogy. What I saw was, well,.. some christian selling christianity. Dogma does not inspire a humorous response. So, back to ignore.

Goodnight, John Boy.
John T

Post by John T »

The problem with people who suffer from cognitive dissonance, (rejection of factual information that is inconsistent with their false beliefs) is that in severe cases they tend to default to nastiness/threats towards those who are only trying to help them face reality.

If spin, ad hominem attacks and lies don't make the source of truth go away, they will stick their fingers in their ears, i.e. hit the "ignore button" and turn their back on the source.

What is sad is they will do that to family members who love them very much just as much as they will do it to a stranger who is only trying to help, such is the power of cognitive dissonance. :banghead:

"I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others."...Socrates

For those who can not stand being questioned about the truthfulness of their beliefs they should not post on such forums as this.

Sincerely,

John T
spin

Post by spin »

John T wrote:The problem with people who suffer from cognitive dissonance, (rejection of factual information that is inconsistent with their false beliefs) is that in severe cases they tend to default to nastiness/threats towards those who are only trying to help them face reality.

If spin, ad hominem attacks and lies don't make the source of truth go away, they will stick their fingers in their ears, i.e. hit the "ignore button" and turn their back on the source.

What is sad is they will do that to family members who love them very much just as much as they will do it to a stranger who is only trying to help, such is the power of cognitive dissonance. :banghead:

"I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others."...Socrates

For those who can not stand being questioned about the truthfulness of their beliefs they should not post on such forums as this.

Sincerely,

John T
Thanks for more logorrhea, but you've made your blunder, you've failed to cover up with your tangents and now you're just prolonging your agony.

:roll: