New papyrus about Apion, Josephus' antagonist

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
ficino

New papyrus about Apion, Josephus' antagonist

Post by ficino »

The new volume of the Oxyrhynchus papyri includes a work honoring the (probably) Alexandrian poet and intellectual, Apion, known to us from Josephus' Against Apion.

see link to review of the volume:

http://www.bmcreview.org/2014/11/20141143.html

Josephus' statement that Apion came from an oasis is shown up as false, according to Wm. Slater, the reviewer.
Roger Pearse

Re: New papyrus about Apion, Josephus' antagonist

Post by Roger Pearse »

Very interesting - thank you! I wonder what it actually says?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

ficino wrote:The new volume of the Oxyrhynchus papyri includes a work honoring the (probably) Alexandrian poet and intellectual, Apion, known to us from Josephus' Against Apion.

see link to review of the volume:

http://www.bmcreview.org/2014/11/20141143.html

Josephus' statement that Apion came from an oasis is shown up as false, according to Wm. Slater, the reviewer.
I was not happy to see the reviewer jump to so many conclusions about any relationship between Josephus' nemesis Apion and the Apion mentioned in one of the papyri. I just felt he was venting about Apion (he nemesis of Josephus) as if the just published papyri is proof that the man was a bald swindler bald-ass liar as bad as, probably even worse, than the one described by Josephus.

But that's just me I guess ... DCH
Blood

Post by Blood »

I think we have Josephus's "Against Apion" to blame for the whole pathetic genre of Christian apologetics.

So an anti-Jewish writer inspires a Jewish writer who then inspires 2,000 years of anti-Jewish writers.

Sad reminder that we are half a chromosome away from chimpanzees.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Blood wrote:I think we have Josephus's "Against Apion" to blame for the whole pathetic genre of Christian apologetics.

So an anti-Jewish writer inspires a Jewish writer who then inspires 2,000 years of anti-Jewish writers.

Sad reminder that we are half a chromosome away from chimpanzees.
Oot grickle et gook?

Oot geek!

DCH