20 new verses of Gilgamesh discovered

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Blood

20 new verses of Gilgamesh discovered

Post by Blood »

http://www.livescience.com/52372-new-ta ... -epic.html

Other newfound lines of the poem confirm details that are alluded to in other parts of the work. For example, it shows that Enkidu and Humbaba were childhood buddies and that, after killing the ogre, the story's heroes feel a bit remorseful, at least for destroying the lovely forest.

"Gilgamesh and Enkidu cut down the cedar to take home to Babylonia, and the new text carries a line that seems to express Enkidu's recognition that reducing the forest to a wasteland is a bad thing to have done, and will upset the gods," George said. Like the description of the forest, this kind of ecological awareness is very rare in ancient poetry, he added.

The tablet, now mud-free and fully translated, is currently on display at the Sulaymaniyah Museum. A paper outlining Al-Rawi and George's findings was published in 2014 in the Journal of Cuneiform Studies.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
shunyadragon

Re: 20 new verses of Gilgamesh discovered

Post by shunyadragon »

I am a long time fan of Gilgamesh, and I would like to find a good translation of the new text. In my search there may be two newly discovered texts. Is this true.
go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.