Hot Cross Buns

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Doherty's reading of the Lord's Supper (1 Cor 11)

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ancient representations of bread:

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here is the Konija relief:

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So some authority claims that the twice scored bread was so done so as to break open into quarters. I think I've seen a show about this on TV.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Here it is explicitly in a cookbook:
Use a knife to score the dough with a cross so that the baked bread will divide easily into quarters. https://books.google.com/books?id=hI8C1 ... 22&f=false
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It must have been common practice long before Christianity which only later became a specific symbol of the religion. I just imagine bakers making hundreds of loaves quickly going 'tak, tak' with their knives on the unleavened loaves. Totally unconsciously.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

... but then again a loaf preserved at Pompeii shows that twice scored wasn't always the case:

http://ridiculouslyinteresting.com/2013 ... t-pompeii/
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Maybe it was only twice scored because these were small loaves (why would you put four scores on a cupcake sized loaf?)
DCHindley

Re: Hot Cross Buns!

Post by DCHindley »

Peter Kirby wrote:I'm not sure what to make of it, but this actually surprised me!

D. Jason Cooper, Mithras, p. 142
Murals showing the communion show bread being used, and that bread is sometimes in the form of wafers or small cakes with a cross on them.
D. Jason Cooper, Mithras, p. 143
Other representations of the Sacred Meal of bread and wine show more detail. In the Konjic relief for instance. the Pater and the Heliodromus partake of wine and small cakes or loaves of bread marked with a cross.
I don't know enough about art in antiquity or ancient iconography to rule out the simplest possible explanation -- that this was just a commonplace (??maybe??) for representing bread in art.

Bread was frequently baked in the form of a small bun maybe a half foot (1/6 meter) wide with a knife cut from side to side and top to bottom. It was just the way bread was baked, to be divided into four quarters. I do not think that the " + " that the cuts made need represent the Christian "Cross".

DCH
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

I agree with what has been said about the bread.

Aside from that, there's also the aspect that artists were most probably not working only for a specific faith, which means that artworks for different customers had the tendency to look similar.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

DCHindley wrote:I do not think that the " + " that the cuts made need represent the Christian "Cross".
FWIW, ... I also do not think anyone said that it did.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown