Church Histories

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
winningedge101

Church Histories

Post by winningedge101 »

Hey friends I just ordered Eusebius's church history. Can someone tell me what the other earliest church histories that are still preserved and I can buy? Thanks! :D
DCHindley

Re: Church Histories

Post by DCHindley »

winningedge101 wrote:Hey friends I just ordered Eusebius's church history. Can someone tell me what the other earliest church histories that are still preserved and I can buy? Thanks! :D
There were several, and what's more, they're free!

In The Podium, look at my posts regarding a series of translations of The Nicene & Post Nicene Fathers (NPNF), series II. There are no links, but I downloaded the relevant volumes as PDF files from CCEL.org so I know they are there.

Good luck!

DCH
winningedge101

Post by winningedge101 »

Thanks man, really appreciate it. :)
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

For the ante-Nicene period, the best you can really do is to cross-reference Eusebius against the texts likely to have been written earlier.

There are other authors, but they generally just build on Eusebius and focus their own efforts on later periods.

But there is also a sneaky way to get more of "Eusebius": look at Jerome's Chronicon. It's based on the one Eusebius made (pre-325), but we don't have that one anymore.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Peter Kirby wrote:For the ante-Nicene period, the best you can really do is to cross-reference Eusebius against the texts likely to have been written earlier.

There are other authors, but they generally just build on Eusebius and focus their own efforts on later periods.

But there is also a sneaky way to get more of "Eusebius": look at Jerome's Chronicon. It's based on the one Eusebius made (pre-325), but we don't have that one anymore.
See http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/index ... echronicle

Andrew Criddle