Hear What the Ancestor to Our Language Sounded Like

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Secret Alias

Hear What the Ancestor to Our Language Sounded Like

Post by Secret Alias » Fri May 05, 2017 6:35 pm

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

lpetrich

Re: Hear What the Ancestor to Our Language Sounded Like

Post by lpetrich » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

That's a reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European. It's [wiki]Schleicher's fable[/wiki], composed by August Schleicher in 1868. A recent one is The king and the god. Both are intended to illustrate features of reconstructions with connected text.

English version:
The Sheep and the Horses

[On a hill,] a sheep that had no wool saw horses, one of them pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a big load, and one carrying a man quickly. The sheep said to the horses: "My heart pains me, seeing a man driving horses." The horses said: "Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment for himself. And the sheep has no wool." Having heard this, the sheep fled into the plain.
August Schleicher's German version:
Das] schaf und [die] rosse.

[Ein] schaf, [auf] welchem wolle nicht war (ein geschorenes schaf) sah rosse, das [einen] schweren wagen fahrend, das [eine] groſse last, das [einen] menschen schnell tragend. [Das] schaf sprach [zu den] rossen: [Das] herz wird beengt [in] mir (es thut mir herzlich leid), sehend [den] menschen [die] rosse treibend. [Die] rosse sprachen: Höre schaf, [das] herz wird beengt [in den] gesehen-habenden (es thut uns herzlich leid, da wir wissen): [der] mensch, [der] herr macht [die] wolle [der] schafe [zu einem] warmen kleide [für] sich und [den] schafen ist nicht wolle (die schafe aber haben keine wolle mehr, sie werden geschoren; es geht ihnen noch schlechter als den rossen). Dies gehört-habend bog (entwich) [das] schaf [auf das] feld (es machte sich aus dem staube).
From Lehmann and Zgusta:
Owis eḱwōskʷe

Gʷərēi owis, kʷesjo wl̥hnā ne ēst, eḱwōns espeḱet, oinom ghe gʷr̥um woǵhom weǵhontm̥, oinomkʷe meǵam bhorom, oinomkʷe ǵhm̥enm̥ ōḱu bherontm̥. Owis nu eḱwobh(j)os (eḱwomos) ewewkʷet: "Ḱēr aghnutoi moi eḱwōns aǵontm̥ nerm̥ widn̥tei". Eḱwōs tu ewewkʷont: "Ḱludhi, owei, ḱēr ghe aghnutoi n̥smei widn̥tbh(j)os (widn̥tmos): nēr, potis, owiōm r̥ wl̥hnām sebhi gʷhermom westrom kʷrn̥euti. Neǵhi owiōm wl̥hnā esti". Tod ḱeḱluwōs owis aǵrom ebhuget.
(Copied from the Wikipedia article. I haven't tried to translate it into some more easily readable spelling.)

Note that Proto-Indo-European had no definite article, no word for "the". Also note that the preferred overall word order in a sentence is subject-object-verb, not subject-verb-object.

ETA: The Wikipedia article on this fable has versions in several different languages, with translations in them. I'm half-thinking of posting some of them, like the Latin, Proto-Germanic, and Proto-Slavic versions that I found in them.