Pontius Pilate

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
pneuma

Re: Pontius Pilate

Post by pneuma »

Ya I seen that but what does in all senses mean?

Here is what I am struggling to understand. The translation I gave says procurator and the translation you said was a better translation also says procurator. So why do you say it means prefect from the word aparchos?

This is from the link you gave and it also translates it procurator.

book 18, section 55:  BUT now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem,

[55] BUT now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem, to take their winter quarters there, in order to abolish the Jewish laws.

So even the link you gave for understanding the Greek usage of words backs up the use of procurator.
spin

Post by spin »

pneuma wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 am Ya I seen that but what does in all senses mean?

Here is what I am struggling to understand. The translation I gave says procurator and the translation you said was a better translation also says procurator. So why do you say it means prefect from the word aparchos?

book 18, section 55:  BUT now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem,

[55] BUT now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem, to take their winter quarters there, in order to abolish the Jewish laws.

So even the link you gave for understanding the Greek usage of words backs up the use of procurator.
18.55 calls Pilate "the ruler of Judea" (hgemwn, another—more generic—term again). There is no reason for Feldman to use "procurator" other than fatigue.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

spin wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:34 pm
pneuma wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 am Ya I seen that but what does in all senses mean?

18.55 calls Pilate "the ruler of Judea" (hgemwn, another—more generic—term again). There is no reason for Feldman to use "procurator" other than fatigue.
Are you telling me that all the translators of Josephus were just being lazy every time they used the term procurator?

So these 25 translations are all in error (as well as another 23 in WARS)

book 12, section 257: ... of this part of the country, and to Nicanor, the procurator of thy affairs, to give us no disturbance, nor

book 14, section 143: ... , leaving the determination to himself; so he made him procurator of Judea. He also gave Hyrcanus leave to raise
book 15, section 62: ... way to avoid it. So he left his uncle Joseph procurator for his government, and for the public affairs, and
book 15, section 403: ... who was president of Syria, and Cuspius Fadus, who was procurator of Judea, enjoined the Jews to reposit those vestments
book 16, section 271: ... not perhaps of equal authority, but the latter like a procurator under the former, as the very learned Noris and
book 17, section 68: ... irritated the king against his son was one Antipater, the procurator of Antipater the king's son, who, when he
book 17, section 250: ... ; for after Varus was gone away, Sabinus, Caesar's procurator, staid behind, and greatly distressed the Jews, relying on
book 18, section 23: ... began to grow mad with this distemper, who was our procurator, and who occasioned the Jews to go wild with
book 18, section 29: ... was sent along with Cyrenius, was exercising his office of procurator, and governing Judea, the following accidents happened. As the ... third emperor; and he sent Valerius Gratus to be procurator of Judea, and to succeed Annius Rufus. This man
book 18, section 55: BUT now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem,
book 18, section 151: ... to set sail; but Herennius Capito, who was the procurator of Jamhis, sent a band of soldiers to demand
book 18, section 224: ... one of equal weight. He also sent Marullus to be procurator of Judea.
book 19, section 353: ... AND UNSKILFULNESS OF AGRIPPA, JUNIOR, SENT CUSPIUS FADUS TO BE PROCURATOR OF JUDEA, AND OF THE ENTIRE KINGDOM.
book 19, section 360: ... to be reasonable. Accordingly he sent Cuspins Fadus to be procurator of Judea, and of the entire kingdom, and paid
book 20, section 1: ... of Syria. But Fadus, as soon as he was come procurator into Judea, found quarrelsome doings between the Jews that
book 20, section 10: ... I have written about these affairs to Cuspius Fadus, my procurator. The names of those that brought me your letter
book 20, section 49: ... 5. sect. 2, that "Tiberius Alexander succeeded Cuspius Fadus as procurator," he immediately subjoins, that" under these procurators there happened
book 20, section 97: ... NOW it came to pass, while Fadus was procurator of Judea, that a certain magician, whose name was Theudas, This Theudas, who arose under Fadus the procurator, about A.D. 45 or 46, could not
book 20, section 125: ... the Samaritans and of the Jews, as also Cumanus the procurator, and Ceier the tribune, to go to Italy to
book 20, section 134: ... then should be slain. FELIX IS MADE PROCURATOR OF JUDEA; AS ALSO CONCERNING AGRIPPA, JUNIOR AND HIS
book 20, section 141: ... time afterward dissolved upon the following occasion: While Felix was procurator of Judea, he saw this Drusilla, and fell in ... a proselyte of justice, and to marry Felix, the heathen procurator of Judea, Tacitus, Hist. V. 9, supposes her to
book 20, section 160: ... it was who had desired Caesar to send him as procurator of Judea. So Felix contrived a method whereby he ... good high priest Jonathan, by the contrivance of this wicked procurator, Felix, was the immediate occasion of the ensuing murders
book 20, section 189: ... At these doings both king Agrippa, and principally Festus the procurator, were much displeased; and Festus ordered them to pull
book 20, section 197: ... hearing the death of Festus, sent Albinus into Judea, as procurator. But the king deprived Joseph of the high priesthood, ... put him to death without the approbation of the Roman procurator; nor could therefore Ananias and his sanhedrim do more
book 20, section 247: ... concerning our high priests. CONCERNING FLORUS THE PROCURATOR, WHO NECESSITATED THE JEWS TO TAKE UP ARMS AGAINST
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

Spin can you give me anything other then what you say these words to mean? You seem like a good person and I thank you for trying to help me out but it looks to me, so far at least, that you want me to take your word as to how Josephus should be translated over the translation already in existence.
spin

Post by spin »

pneuma wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 pm Spin can you give me anything other then what you say these words to mean? You seem like a good person and I thank you for trying to help me out but it looks to me, so far at least, that you want me to take your word as to how Josephus should be translated over the translation already in existence.
I'm sorry. I pointed you to the facts that Josephus simply does not use the word "procurator" and that the usual word for "procurator" in Greek is epitropos. They are all you need. Take your issue up with the translator who does not explain his apparently erroneous translation.

I can tell you that it was during the reign of Claudius that procurators were given control of small provinces. This is reflected in Josephus when he starts using the term epitropos for the provincial ruler, so from AJ 20.2 onward (20.97, 142, 162) there is justification for using the word "procurator".
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
arnoldo

Was Pontius Pilate’s Ring Discovered at Herodium?

Post by arnoldo »

arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:54 am In the Gospels, during the trial, the verb “to release” (or “to deliver”) is associated with Pilate in a remarkable way:
  • 4 times in Mark:

Mark 15:6

Now at that feast he released unto them one prisoner, whomsoever they desired.

Mark 15:9
    But Pilate answered them, saying, Will ye that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

Mark 15:11
    But the chief priests moved the people, that he should rather release Barabbas unto them.

Mark 15:15
    And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.

• ...and 4 times in Matthew:

Matthew 27:15
    Now at that feast the governor was wont to release unto the people a prisoner, whom they would.

Matthew 27:17
    Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?

Matthew 27:21
    The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye that I release unto you? They said, Barabbas.

Matthew 27:26
    Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

• ...5 times in Luke:

Luke 23:17
    (For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)

Luke 23:18
    And they cried out all at once, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas:

Luke 23:20
    Pilate therefore, willing to release Jesus, spake again to them.

Luke 23:22
    And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him: I will therefore chastise him, and let him go.

Luke 23:25
    And he released unto them him that for sedition and murder was cast into prison, whom they had desired; but he delivered Jesus to their will.

• ...and 5 times in John:

John 18:39
    But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

John 19:10
    Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?

John 19:12
    And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.

• ...same association in Acts 3:13 :

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

This insistence is understandable when we know that the name Pilate has the same root (PLT) as the Hebrew verb PâLaT which means “to save”, “to deliver”.
Interesting. . .