Paul Without Acts

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
MrMacSon

Re: Paul Without Acts

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:56 pm
Well, since we are talking about Greek epistles....

I doubt that Paul was writing to churches in France. He was writing to churches in Asia.
Yes, I agree. But I made the point b/c we're collectively ranging quite widely here: about the epistles being related to activities of Julius Caesar, about a bce Paul, about terminology changing with language; and I still have a bee in my bonnet about Irenaeus and Gaul (and I think Irenaeus wrote in Latin or his writings are preserved in Latin?
Jax

Post by Jax »

In book 15 chapter 7:3 of Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus has this to say "For he made him a present of those four hundred Galatians, who had been Cleopatra’s guards" http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ection%3D3 . The Greek word he uses for Galatians is Γαλατῶν. Were these Galatians not a detachment left behind of the Legio III Gallica by Julius Caesar when he went north?

This Third Legion was also comprised of Gauls that went with Caesar to Egypt.
Jax

Post by Jax »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:34 pm

I doubt that Paul was writing to churches in France. He was writing to churches in Asia.
Yes, I agree. But I made the point b/c we're collectively ranging quite widely here: about the epistles being related to activities of Julius Caesar, about a bce Paul, about terminology changing with language; and I still have a bee in my bonnet about Irenaeus and Gaul (and I think Irenaeus wrote in Latin or his writings are preserved in Latin?
Yeah. But fun though isn't it? :D
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:34 pm

What is the bee in your bonnet about Irenaeus and Gaul? (And yes, his writings are preserved in Latin, but some of the original Greek has been preserved, both in patristic quotations and in actual manuscript fragments, including an amazingly early specimen from Egypt.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Jax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 pm Yeah. But fun though isn't it? :D
ish ni' ah em, an i on ta sec'an b'ohtle champas, hic
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm What is the bee in your bonnet about Irenaeus and Gaul?
I can't believe Irenaeus was so involved in 'the early church' while essentially isolated so far west in Gaul, France. I tend to think he would have been in Galatia.

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm (And yes, his writings are preserved in Latin, but some of the original Greek has been preserved, both in patristic quotations and in actual manuscript fragments, including an amazingly early specimen from Egypt.)
Cheers. Do you think he would have written primarily in Greek? or in Latin?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm What is the bee in your bonnet about Irenaeus and Gaul?
I can't believe Irenaeus was so involved in 'the early church' while essentially isolated so far west in Gaul, France. I tend to think he would have been in Galatia.
Too many Christians for you? ;)
Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm (And yes, his writings are preserved in Latin, but some of the original Greek has been preserved, both in patristic quotations and in actual manuscript fragments, including an amazingly early specimen from Egypt.)
Cheers. Do you think he would have written primarily in Greek? or in Latin?
If he came from the East as his letter to Florinus implies, then probably Greek.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Jax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 pm In book 15 chapter 7:3 of Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus has this to say "For he made him a present of those four hundred Galatians, who had been Cleopatra’s guards" http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ection%3D3 . The Greek word he uses for Galatians is Γαλατῶν. Were these Galatians not a detachment left behind of the Legio III Gallica by Julius Caesar when he went north?

This Third Legion was also comprised of Gauls that went with Caesar to Egypt.
Opps, my bad, i meant Legio VI Ferrata http://www.livius.org/articles/legion/legio-vi-ferrata/
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm It's 7.20 am here ... :cheers:
Since you are 8 time zones farther west than I am, which us Eastern Time in the US (UT -5hr), are you from ... <gasp!> ... Australia?

DCH
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

DCHindley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 pm Since you are 8 time zones farther west than I am, which us Eastern Time in the US (UT -5hr), are you from ... <gasp!> ... Australia
Yes & No. I reside in Sydeny, but I’m not Australian :D