Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Discussion about the Quran, hadith, the history of Islam, etc.
ghost
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by ghost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:29 am

beowulf wrote:Could we examine the evidence for Petra?
Yes.

beowulf
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by beowulf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 am

ghost wrote:
beowulf wrote:Could we examine the evidence for Petra?
Yes.
Where is it?

ghost
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by ghost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

beowulf wrote:Where is it?
A just gave you one example: a mosque in Amman faced Petra.

beowulf
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by beowulf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 am

ghost wrote:
beowulf wrote:Where is it?
A just gave you one example: a mosque in Amman faced Petra.

Yes, you did that and I thank you for it. :)
Is this the evidence you are making available for Petra?

“When the old mosque was torn down, the foundation stones of the earlier mosque revealed that the original building faced north towards both Petra and Jerusalem which were in almost exactly the same direction”

ghost
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by ghost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:31 am

beowulf wrote:Is this the evidence you are making available for Petra?
There are more examples on that webpage with the qibla timeline.
“When the old mosque was torn down, the foundation stones of the earlier mosque revealed that the original building faced north towards both Petra and Jerusalem which were in almost exactly the same direction”
That's not Amman. Petra is south of Amman, and Jerusalem is west of Amman.

ghost
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by ghost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:49 am

What you quoted refers to Medina.

http://searchformecca.com/timeline.html
Mosque of the 2 Qiblas faces north towards both Jerusalem and Petra (5 AH)
Masjid al-Qiblatain (Mosque of the two qiblas)

beowulf
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by beowulf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:57 am

ghost wrote:
beowulf wrote:Is this the evidence you are making available for Petra?
There are more examples on that webpage with the qibla timeline.
“When the old mosque was torn down, the foundation stones of the earlier mosque revealed that the original building faced north towards both Petra and Jerusalem which were in almost exactly the same direction”
That's not Amman. Petra is south of Amman, and Jerusalem is west of Amman.
Image

“The original buildings faced Petra, but the newer buildings (built some 40 years later) face Mecca During the period between these two constructions was the Second Civil War when ’Abdallah ibn Zubayr completely destroyed the Ka’ba and rebuilt it, possibly in a new location”

Is this the one Petra?

beowulf
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by beowulf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 am

beowulf wrote:
ghost wrote:
beowulf wrote:Is this the evidence you are making available for Petra?
There are more examples on that webpage with the qibla timeline.
“When the old mosque was torn down, the foundation stones of the earlier mosque revealed that the original building faced north towards both Petra and Jerusalem which were in almost exactly the same direction”
That's not Amman. Petra is south of Amman, and Jerusalem is west of Amman.
Image

“The original buildings faced Petra, but the newer buildings (built some 40 years later) face Mecca During the period between these two constructions was the Second Civil War when ’Abdallah ibn Zubayr completely destroyed the Ka’ba and rebuilt it, possibly in a new location”

Is this the one Petra?

ghost
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by ghost » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 pm

beowulf wrote:Is this the one Petra?
I wasn't talking about mosques in Petra. I was talking about mosques facing Petra.

beowulf
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Early mosques not oriented towards Mecca

Post by beowulf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 pm

ghost wrote:
beowulf wrote:Is this the one Petra?
I wasn't talking about mosques in Petra. I was talking about mosques facing Petra.
OK, This one is my last post, Thank you for your replies.
Is this the one Petra?

Apparently early Muslims were aware of the technical problems to be solved in aligning a building with the Mecca direction.

Are errors important now?
From the eighth century onwards Muslim astronomers dedicated much attention to the problem of determining the qibla of any locality...
Astronomical alignments in Medieval Islamic religious architecture
DAVID A. KING

Post Reply