How did the Byzantines withdraw from Greater Syria?

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.

Moderator: JoeWallack

ghost

How did the Byzantines withdraw from Greater Syria?

Post by ghost »

Any ideas how to find the sources about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab%E2%8 ... ntine_wars
Clive

Re: How did the Byzantines withdraw from Greater Syria?

Post by Clive »

I think the comments there about sea battles may be important. Has anyone connected the Vikings to the Arab successes? ? Were there important technological innovations? I understand the Vikings were using mass production in ship building.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Thor

Post by Thor »

Clive wrote:I think the comments there about sea battles may be important. Has anyone connected the Vikings to the Arab successes? ? Were there important technological innovations? I understand the Vikings were using mass production in ship building.
The Vikings connection to period of Byzantine resurgence, from the middle of the 9th- to the 11th century, is perhaps more clearer.

It is important to understand Viking naval vessels for what they were. Methods of transportation. The strength of the Vikings ships did not come from their capabilities in sea battles, but their ability to avoid them by own choice. important technological innovations regarding shipbuilding was the Norse innovation of "Clinker" built ships. Mass production was more the result of a cultural institution implemented as "law", than a technological development.

For the Viking connection with Byzantine, which was centered around Constantinople, referred to by Vikings as Miklagard
( The great city ). The best elaboration can probably be found by reading about the history of the "Varangians". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians
Clive

Post by Clive »

Those articles lead to discussions about what caused the Viking incursions! Climate change is noted.

I have a couple of timeline history books! My impression is that what causes what is a continuing debate, one cause that is not given much weight is an angel speaking to someone in a cave, but maybe it is more important than is realised!
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"