Annas = Ananus/Annanus (& Ananais)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Annas = Ananus/Annanus (& Ananais)

Post by MrMacSon »

There some interesting discrepancies between accounts of Annas (aka Ananus, Annanus, and Ananais) and the NT accounts to Annas.

Josephus also refers to Ananus in Antiquities 20.9.1; and a Jesus ben Ananais, though Jesus ben Ananais does not appear to be listed anywhere as one of the five sons of Annas/Ananus.

The alleged chronology of the NT narratives don't fit with the Annas's alleged history, however, with Annas supposedly being relieved of his priesthood ~15 CE.

In referring to John the Baptist, Luke 3.2 says
  • "during the high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness."

John 18 has Jesus was first brought before Annas
12 Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him 13 and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. 14 Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jewish leaders that it would be good if one man died for the people.
  • <snip>
19 Meanwhile, the high priest [Annas, aka Ananus] questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
  • <snip>
24 Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.
  • <snip>
28 Then the Jewish leaders took Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness they did not enter the palace, because they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. 29 So Pilate came out to them and asked, “What charges are you bringing against this man?”

30 “If he were not a criminal,” they replied, “we would not have handed him over to you.”

31 Pilate said, “Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law.”

“But we have no right to execute anyone,” they objected. 32 This took place to fulfill what Jesus had said about the kind of death he was going to die.

33 Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”

34 “Is that your own idea,” Jesus asked, “or did others talk to you about me?”

35 “Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What is it you have done?

Matt. 26:57-68 refers to Caiaphas, the teachers of the law and the elders, the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin

When Peter and John are brought before the Sanhedrin in Acts 4, Annas & Caiaphas also feature -
Acts 4 (NIV)

1 The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2 They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people, proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead. 3 They seized Peter and John and, because it was evening, they put them in jail until the next day. 4 But many who heard the message believed; so the number of men who believed grew to about five thousand.

5 The next day the rulers, the elders and the teachers of the law met in Jerusalem. 6 Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and others of the high priest’s family. 7 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: “By what power or what name did you do this?”
As noted above; Annas is only supposed to have been a High Priest until 15CE (?)

Could the NT writers have used the then historical narratives of Annas as a basis for their their narratives?
MattMorales

Re: Annas = Ananus/Annanus (& Ananais)

Post by MattMorales »

Even after Annas was relieved, he apparently enjoyed a certain dignity (and acted as somewhat of an adviser, or so we are led to believe), being the father/father in law of several high priests after him. I don't think there is any connection to Jesus ben Ananias (although the thought has crossed my mind, admittedly), who was supposedly a commoner--that is if the character isn't simply an urban legend.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

There is also an Ananias (sic) in Acts 5

Acts 5 (NIV)
1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”

“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

@Mac: There are a number of Ananias's in the non canonical texts. Here's two ...

(1) Acts of Pilate
  • MEMORIALS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
    DONE IN THE TIME OF PONTIUS PILATE
    Prologue - (Absent from some manuscripts and versions).

I Ananias (Aeneas Copt., Emaus Lat.), the Protector, of praetorian rank,
    learned in the law, did from the divine scriptures recognize our Lord Jesus Christ
    and came near to him by faith and was accounted worthy of holy baptism:
    and I sought out the memorials that were made at that season
    in the time of our master Jesus Christ, which the Jews deposited with Pontius Pilate,
    and found the memorials in Hebrew (letters), and by the good pleasure of God
    I translated them into Greek (letters) for the informing of all them
    that call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    in the reign of our Lord Flavius Theodosius, in the seventeenth year,
    and of Flavius Valentinianus the sixth, in the ninth indiction

[corrupt: Lat. has the eighteenth year of Theodosius,
    when Valentinian was proclaimed Augustus, i.e. 425 CE].

(2) Syriac Acts of Philip

• On board was a Jew, Ananias,
    who blasphemed (sotto voice, it seems)
    and said:

May Adonai
    recompense thee,
    and the Christ
    on whom thou callest,
    who is become dust
    and lies in Jerusalem,
    while thou livest and leadest
    ignorant men astray
    by his name.

A wind came and filled the sail.

The Jew rose to help
    to hoist the sail,

and an angel bound him
    by the great toes
    and hung him head down
    on the top of the sail

The ship flew onward
    and the Jew cried out.

Philip said:
    You shall not come down
    till you confess.
As far as I can see both of these, especially the second one, have "Monty Pythonish" overtones.

A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Cheers. It may have been a commonish name(?)
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Ananias is a Hebrew name that means "compassion for God"........... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananias_of_Damascus
MrMacSon wrote:There is also an Ananias (sic) in Acts 5

Acts 5 (NIV)
1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”

“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.
That's pretty heavy.

The moral to the story is obviously that when one sells a property and makes a donation to the apostles of the church one must hand over the whole and complete amount, and NOT keep anything for oneself. Otherwise, the Holy Spirit of the Lord of the Holy Materialistic Church will take one's life away and one will die the death.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]