Are Deut 6:5 and Lev 19:18 Antithetical?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Are Deut 6:5 and Lev 19:18 Antithetical?

Post by Stephan Huller »

My seven year old asked me - how can you love your neighbor when [God] says you have to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength"? It's a contradiction.
And Akiba asked him: "What brought thee hither, Pappus?" "Happy art thou, Akiba," answered Pappus, "for thou art in prison for the sake of the Torah, but I am here for vain things!" When they brought forth Akiba and led him to his death, it was the hour of the Shema. They combed his flesh with iron combs, and he prayed, accepting with love the yoke of the kingdom of heaven. And his pupils cried, "Enough, Master, enough!" But he replied: "Every day I wept over the words: 'And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy soul' (Deut. 6:5) I asked myself: Will that moment ever come? and now that the moment has come shall I not fulfill my desire?" And when he said, "The Lord is one" he dwelt on the word "one" until his soul left his body. (Berakhot 61b.)
The idea at the heart of Deut 6:5 precludes any room for loving anyone or anything else. Hence it is a contradiction. Deut 6:5 and Lev 19:18 together is like saying 'take a cup of water pour it out complete on the head of your sister. Then use it to boil an egg.'
rakovsky

Re: Are Deut 6:5 and Lev 19:18 Antithetical?

Post by rakovsky »

God is everywhere, including in the neighbor.
Panentheism.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com