Codex Sinaiticus - the white parchment Friderico-Augustanus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Maestroh

Re: Codex Sinaiticus - the white parchment Friderico-Augustanus

Post by Maestroh »

Steven Avery wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm A good starting point is the

Sinaiticus Authenticity Research Team
www.sinaiticus.net

Oh what a pity, John T.

You've asked him for help and he's given you a site of his own self-appointed group of "researchers," full of misinformation.

You'll be going to the wrong place. This, in fact, is the absolute worst starting point to learn anything accurate about Sinaiticus.

Steven Avery wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm And I have a lot of MISinformation at:
FIFY.

Steven Avery wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm Sinaiticus - authentic antiquity or modern?
http://www.purebibleforum.com/forumdisp ... -or-modern

Two groups on Facebook - PureBible and Sinaiticus - have a lot of material and discussion.

This forum has a number of excellent threads. Remeber, the issues are multi-faceted, modern scholars tend to be atomistic and thus reliant on "consensus" - not keeping up on new material that makes earlier conclusions obsolete.

Steven
You'll note this "researcher" does nothing but regurgitate a long ago refuted claim from a lying forger named Simonides in 1840.

"Hey, they don't know about this new stuff."

There's not a single thing Avery has brought out in the five years he's wasted that wasn't known 150 years ago.

The fact he just recently learned about it doesn't make it new.
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Steven Avery wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:58 pm Here is an example of the issue in 2010:

[textualcriticism] CSNTM's - request assistance on Codex Sinaiticus Project misinformation
Steven Avery
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tex ... opics/5716

Eventually, the CSP site put up an easy-to-miss disclaimer. I had had a number of emails back and forth with the CSP. This was before we realized that Sinaiticus was actually produced in the 1800s.

Afaik, you will not find an English translation of Sinaiticus.
The combination of corrections and corruptions would make it a joke.

Steven
Thanks for the link.
I like the CSP cite because you can zoom in on the photos and closely look at the scribal errors/corrections.
Too bad no one with the money will fund a project to give it an English translation, flaws and all.

Now as far as the Codex Sinaiticus being made in the 1800's, well, that is something I would very much like to explore. I'm sure DNA and radiocarbon dating would quickly determine the proper age.
If it hasn't already been done I would be quite surprised.
Do you have any sources/web-sites for that?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

John T
John T,

They don't tend to carbon date manuscripts because it destroys the material. Besides, Avery (once again) is hiding the fact from you that he doesn't actually accept carbon dating or anything scientific that contradicts his Young Earth Creationist worldview. Hence, you're going to find that almost every single thing you deal with with him is like dealing with a lawyer - he tries to make you think he's saying one thing, but he's saying something else, which is why one poster on CARM correctly labeled him "the word merchant."

Now as far as this conspiracy nonsense goes and the 1840s date....long story short.

In 1862, a lying forger named Constantine Simonides wrote to a couple of English journals and claimed he BY HIMSELF had written Sinaiticus on Mount Athos between November 1839 and November 1840. Those are the dates we can deduce FROM HIS OWN WORDS. The SART team, of course, isn't very fond of this timeline since nobody in his right mind - including Avery - actually believes that Simonides did this by himself. Simonides was a boastful little bozo, claimed he had all these eyewitnesses (NONE of whom he ever produced btw) who was ticked at Tischendorf for exposing him as a forger in 1856. (Whether that is his actual motive or not, I neither know nor care).

Of course, Simonides presented all kinds of problems.....for himself. Every time someone pointed out he couldn't possibly have done something because of fact X, he or his benefactor Hodgkin would come up with a new wrinkle. Basically, he lied about pretty much everything, so much so that James Farrer, who wrote one of the more sympathetic views of Simonides even admitted the guy was basically a lying forger (the SART team and Chris Pinto don't seem to want to quote THAT portion of Farrer).

Avery's basic story, for all of the hands in motion that you get from these folks - is really simple:

"Hey, if you look at the Leipzig leaves they're white and the London ones are dark, so, this means somebody tried to darken Sinaiticus and make it look older. Oh, and Simonides and Kallinikos actually said this, too!!! Prove me wrong!!"

That is his position regardless of how often he's been pointed in the right direction.

He and David Daniels have made slandering Tischendorf their life's ministry. (Well, and Daniels goes so far as to say this is part of the - ready? - "New World Order," so you know, we're not dealing with intellectual coherence here). So in the Avery Daniels tale, Tischendorf stains Sinaiticus with lemon juice to make it look older, and they INTENTIONALLY DECEIVE YOU about the date. Let me explain why.

In the Avery Daniels tale, Sinaiticus was once totally white, you know, like virgin clean white. That was in 1844. But then the 1859 portion is dark. So somewhere in there, Tischendorf stained it. (More on this in a moment). Except there's a HUGE problem. They love to cite Uspenski seeing it "white" in 1850, so they narrow the dates and will tell us it was done "in the 1850s." THIS DECEPTION IS INTENTIONAL!!!!

Uspenski tells us he saw it white in 1850.
Simonides tells us he saw it darkened in 1852.
Tischendorf saw the first portion in 1844 and the rest in 1859. (He made one other trip where he says he didn't see it - in 1853).

Now, one doesn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to look at those dates and realize there is NO WAY Tischendorf stained this manuscript (even if that actually happened). One could merely be Larry Holmes and realize this.....after all, if Tischendorf was nowhere near the manuscript between 1844 and 1853 (at a minimum), he could not possibly have stained it PRIOR to 1852.

Rather than just admit Simonides lied - which is what happened - the SART team CREATES a narrative. "Simonides fudged" (meaning he lied).
Fair enough. So then what date did Simonides actually go to Sinai and see this? Hmm????

So the other thing that happened was letters were published that allegedly came from a guy named Kallinikos. Now let me tell ya: Kallinikos is the Forrest Gump of textual criticism. He bloviates about how he was "on the spot" and SAW Simonides writing this ALL BY HIMSELF in 1840 on Mt Athos. And then he was "on the spot" and SAW Tischendorf cut out 43 leaves and steal the first portion of the MS in 1844. And then he was "on the spot" and SAW Tischendorf staining it with lemon juice!!! And then he was "on the spot" on Sinai and SAW Tischendorf steal the rest of it in 1859.

Now...John T......do you REALLY believe such a person even existed to see all those things? I mean, a guy is somehow on Athos just to see Simonides writing it ALL BY HIMSELF (Eric Carmen music starts....). And then he's on Sinai at all the crucial dates......Wanna know the reality? Simonides simply wrote the Kallinikos letters and signed the other guy's name to them. Yes, there was a Kallinikos....in fact, if the SART team is consistent, they'll have to say there were two of them (you know, like the two Oswalds in Dallas?) because the REAL Kallinikos actually wrote the journals and DENIED everything the other letters claimed.

Now.....Avery's inept response to me is going to be to introduce "but he didn't mention X," because that's what he does, it's his modus operandi. The above isn't intended to be an exhaustive response to every stupid idea proposed by the SART team. We simply stick with irreducible minimum - the rest "but what about" is just window dressing. The reality is that OJ Simpson killed his ex-wife and Ron Goldman; the fact that there were occasional ruffles that couldn't fully be explained by anyone doesn't alter the material reality.

So let's look at what the SART team (and Steven Avery) has REFUSED to answer now for two years. In April 2016, I posted this list of questions on CARM. TO THIS DAY NOT ONE WORD of response has come from this so-called researcher. And these are relevant questions. The fact none of these people has any expertise in any related area ties directly to the "this is why nobody takes you folks seriously." Note the bold below.

1) Where did David Daniels train in paleography?

2) How does the manuscript coming online in 2009 change Avery's 2011 strongly worded opinion about how if one is just familiar with the details, it's OBVIOUS that it is NOT a 19th century document?

3) How many of these scholars have ever come down on the side of saying Simonides told the truth and Sinaiticus dates to the 19th century?

4) Does ANY paleographer in the world date Sinaiticus to the 19th century?

5) Who made the accusation that the manuscript was darkened?

6) Where did Steven Avery study 'forensic history'?

7) How much study of paleography have you (note: Steven Avery) ever done?

8) Does your source Brent Nongbri have ANY papyri that he thinks are dated wrongly by 1500 years?

9) How many Greek MSS has Steven Avery actually handled?

10) How are they to be handled, as in 'what precautions are necessary?'

11) How many Greek MSS has Steven Avery read?

12) How many Greek manuscripts has Steven Avery photographed?

13) How is the lighting to be set?

14) How long did it take you to take the photographs?

15) Can you, Steven Avery, READ Sinaiticus?

16) Do you have ANY EXPERIENCE with photographing manuscripts?

17) Do any of the OTHER two members of the SART team have any REAL experience in linguistics?

18) What are the published works of those in question 17?

19) Do the people at the CSP who host the manuscript online SAY it is an 1800s production?

20) What date then do they give it?

21) How does Steven Avery actually KNOW the manuscript at CSP is really Sinaiticus?

22) How much parchment has Steven Avery actually studied?

23) How many experiments have you ever done on parchment?

24) What date does Brent Nongbri give Sinaiticus?

Now, I happen to know that Nongbri endorses the fourth century date. I have NO DOUBT that Steven Avery knows this, too.
Steven Avery wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm I like Brent Nonbri's papers because they are sensible and logical. Far more so than those who try to put an ultra-tight restriction of 50 to 100 years on the papyri. Bremt understamds that such tight dates are really only possible when there are compelling external evidences outside the script. Which is rare with the papyri.
He LOVES to quote Nongbri as a scholarly source with the papyri to suggest paleography is all wrong.......but he doesn't bother to disclose what Nongbri's ACTUAL VIEWS are on the date of Sinaiticus......because it doesn't fit what Avery WANTS to believe.

Here's the fundamental reality: there's simply no color variance worth getting all worked up about. He's asserting Tischendorf tried to color it. Have him prove it. Looking online at computer images doesn't impress me or anyone else familiar with the field. He likes to quote what he claims Gavin Moorhead told him about the color variation but given his long history of misrepresenting sources (as with Nongbri above), I'm going to have to see an ENTIRE letter or email to give it any credence. Besides, Moorhead still holds to the fourth century date so this is hardly a problem.

The fact is that the SART team isn't a research team, it's an apologetics team majoring in conspiracy theories. (After all, if Tischendorf didn't stain it then they just move the goalposts and say someone else did it - by definition that's a conspiracy).

You would do well to read Parker's two books on the subject to get a well-rounded view. As for the SART team, none has accomplished anything in the field, and I wouldn't take their recommendation of which ice cream to buy from Sonic.
John T

Post by John T »

Here's the problem.

I'm not picking sides here but trying to get some quick answers. I'm quite capable of looking it up but I was hoping the answers would be readily available.

I would like to believe the legend that the Codex Sinaiticus was used as a primary source for making the 50 Bibles ordered by Emperor Constantine in the 4th century but being a man of science I want to see the evidence.

Those who already know the documents are fake do not want them tested. Those who know they are very, very old would welcome such testing.

So, has the Codex Sinaiticus has gone under DNA and/or radiocarbon dating tests?
Yes or No.

Please don't give me the lecture of how DNA/radiocarbon testing cannot be trusted. I agree there can be problems and the margin of error can be significant but an error of +/- of 1,5000 years would not be credible in this case, much like the Shroud of Turin.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm Here's the problem.

I'm not picking sides here but trying to get some quick answers. I'm quite capable of looking it up but I was hoping the answers would be readily available.

I would like to believe the legend that the Codex Sinaiticus was used as a primary source for making the 50 Bibles ordered by Emperor Constantine in the 4th century but being a man of science I want to see the evidence.
That part is disputed. Maybe, maybe not.
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm Those who already know the documents are fake do not want them tested. Those who know they are very, very old would welcome such testing.
This is a rhetorical argument.
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm So, has the Codex Sinaiticus has gone under DNA and/or radiocarbon dating tests?
Yes or No.
No.
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm Please don't give me the lecture of how DNA/radiocarbon testing cannot be trusted. I agree there can be problems and the margin of error can be significant but an error of +/- of 1,5000 years would not be credible in this case, much like the Shroud of Turin.
I'm not. I'm telling you that he's pretending it would matter when it wouldn't to him.

No carbon dating has been done on Sinaiticus. But then again, it hasn't been done on hardly anything else, either.
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

John T,

One more thing: the "non-believers" (e.g. the non-Christians) would in many cases LOVE to expose this as a fraud if it were. I believe J.K. Elliott is an atheist, but he has no problem whatsoever with the 4th century date. And he's seen it. Dan Wallace is an evangelical - same thing. But dating of biblical manuscripts isn't "usually" done that way, either.

I would welcome it and be fine with it; but the SART team isn't going to accept those answers - but since they know it won't happen any time soon, they pretend they would.
Maestroh

Post by Maestroh »

Note: also when I say carbon dating hasn't been done on "hardly anything else," It's OBVIOUS from context I mean biblical manuscripts.

Thank you for the interactin.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

As an example, on October 14, 2013, I received this email from Claire Breay,

===================

Dear Steven Avery,

Following on from your correspondence with Scot McKendrick, I have had some text added to the Library's online gallery webpage about Codex Sinaiticus, clarifying the status of the English translation on the Codex Sinaiticus Project's website. We are also going to contact Leipzig University Library, which hosts the Codex Sinaiticus Project website, to seek to have similar text added to that site.

Yours sincerely,

Claire Breay
Lead Curator, Medieval and Earlier Manuscripts

===================
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

James Snapp, Jr. understood this issue, and was the only other person, afaik, who actively brought it forth on the textual Net. (Although it was clear that some people had asked the CSP or the British Library about this problem.)

Here is an example from 2016 (as I said, their disclaimer was really insufficient, easy to miss.)

Why Codex Sinaiticus Doesn't Say What Its Website Says It Says
http://www.thetextofthegospels.com/2016 ... -what.html

James had been on this in earlier days, as well, although afaik he did not have correspondence with the libraries and CSP. We are on opposite sides of the Sinaiticus authenticity issue, however, his diligence on the Sinaiticus faux translation issue has been excellent.

Steven
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm I would like to believe the legend that the Codex Sinaiticus was used as a primary source for making the 50 Bibles ordered by Emperor Constantine in the 4th century but being a man of science I want to see the evidence.
An interesting theory with many difficulties. Sinaiticus seems to be more a "mark-up" copy, whenever made. It might have begun as a real edition, but it went south. If I remember right, this was discussed in the SImonides controversies.
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pm Those who already know the documents are fake do not want them tested. Those who know they are very, very old would welcome such testing.
True. Leipzig had a change of heart about testing from 2014 to 2015, when the issues of authenticity were becoming more public.
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pmSo, has the Codex Sinaiticus has gone under DNA and/or radiocarbon dating tests?
Yes or No.
Nothing at all. Here is a thread on this forum that is helpful.

non-invasive testing of inks, parchment, stains and threads
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1067
John T wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:03 pmPlease don't give me the lecture of how DNA/radiocarbon testing cannot be trusted. I agree there can be problems and the margin of error can be significant but an error of +/- of 1,5000 years would not be credible in this case, much like the Shroud of Turin.
You have a typo in the years.

Steven
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 am
Ulan wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 amWhy would this even matter? The original is online for everyone to peruse, and serious researchers read the Greek text in the original anyway. Using translations just brings new issues into the understanding, because you never know whether differences from other versions of the text are due to the underlying text or due to the translation. That's why translations are not used in serious comparisons.
Another issue which would accompany an English translation is what to do about the corrections in the manuscript itself. Sinaiticus famously contains several layers of corrections throughout the text. I once read what purported to be a faithful English translation of at least part of Sinaiticus, a part which included Acts 8.5, but it gave only the corrected form of that verse, with "Samaria" (in agreement with most/all other manuscripts), instead of the truly interesting original form of that verse in Sinaiticus, with "Caesarea." (I forget where I found this translation.) The only way to properly clue someone without knowledge of Greek into what is going on in the manuscript would seem to be, therefore, to include all the corrections in footnotes or some such. Such an endeavor would amount to producing in a scholarly manner a tome which no scholar would use, since of course the Greek is what ought to be consulted.
That's an important point. Many of the old Bible manuscripts are interesting for scholars who want to study the typical editing process of Bible manuscripts of that time. Even Latin manuscripts like Codex Fuldensis are mostly mentioned because the bishop himself made some of the finishing touches to the text. For most laymen, reading Sinaiticus wouldn't be that interesting anyway, as the text isn't really fundamentally different from today's text, except a few changed words, half sentences, etc. The truly interesting differences are few. Most interested people would probably be happy enough with something like the list of Textual variants in the New Testament on Wikipedia, or the list of major variants linked there. Of course, the issues of inerrantists are kind of special.
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 am
Think of the problems using translations like the KJV causes. The English language has changed since that translation was done, which means modern people, even if they are native English speakers, tend to misunderstand the KJV text even though it is in English, because word meanings have shifted since. That's a problem that is completely independent from the additional issues of the underlying Greek and Latin texts and one of the reasons why the Bible is translated again and again.
I once encountered a tract by some KJV-Only person who thought that the "scrip" of Luke 22.36 meant "script," which the author interpreted as "scripture," thus advising missionaries always to carry a Bible with them. Tautological but true: if you are going to read the King James translation of the Bible, you ought to know King James English.
Heh, that's a good one. Admittedly, "scrip" is a rare word. I think the changes in the meaning of more familiar words, like "worship", are even more important though, as the reader may not be aware of them.