Did Jesus Die in Outer Space?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Did Jesus Die in Outer Space?

Post by maryhelena »

Peter Kirby wrote:But the best possible case could put the critics on their heels. It could show that Tacitus wrote about Jesus and that this is more likely if Jesus were historical. It could revive the Josephus argument. It could pull the rug on attempts to find Christians without a belief in a historical Christ crucified under Pilate. Most importantly, it could show that the Gospels make the most sense if they are about a historical person. But somebody needs to do the hard work to make that best possible case.
Nobody can establish historicity for the gospel Jesus, of whatever type it's proposers dream up. A case can be made for "political fiction" - that the gospel story has a political component. Carrier has already made the point that a "political fiction" approach to the gospel story "suits the gospels well'.

McGrath has given some space for a celestial crucifixion theory - perhaps Carrier could give more attention to what "suits the gospels well".

Richard Carrier:
If 'Jesus Christ' began as a celestial deity' is false, it could still be that he began as a political fiction, for example (as some scholars have indeed argued - the best examples being R.G. Price and Gary Courtney). But as will become clear in following chapters....such a premise has a much lower prior probability (and this is already at a huge disadvantage over Premise 1 even before we start examining the evidence) and a very low consequent probability (though it suits the Gospels well, it just isn't possible to explain the evidence of the Epistles this way, and the origin of Christianity itself becomes very hard to explain.) Although I leave open the possibility it may yet be vindicated, I'm sure it very unlikely to be, and accordingly I will assume it's prior probability is too small even to show up in our maths. This decision can be reversed only by a sound and valid demonstration that we must assign it a higher prior or consequent, but I leave to anyone who thinks it's possible. Page 53/54

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Bernard Muller wrote:Gakuseidon,
"I don't have "End of Christianity" so can't check that. I'll try Google Books when I get a chance. (If anyone else with those books can confirm whether there is support or not for "half-corrupt imitations" in the firmament, it would be great if you let us know.)
The whole text of Jaco Gericke, "Can God Exist if Yahweh Doesn't? ', in End of Christianity (ed. Loftus), pp. 131-54 (esp pp. 144-49) is available here:
https://www.academia.edu/2442558/Can_Go ... weh_doesnt (but with no pagination).

Something possibly relevant in it:
(snipped)

That's it, I read the whole thing.
Thanks for checking, Bernard. So nothing like "half-corrupt imitations existing in the firmament" there. I've also now gone through Babinski's chapter 'The Cosmology of the Bible' in "Christian Delusion" more thoroughly, and I can't see any reference to anything like that there either. And that's both of Carrier's references. I wonder what he read that gave him that idea?

Probably not critical since he is hanging his hat on "as above so below", which has its own problems as we've already pointed out. But the idea of "half-corrupt imitations" existing in the firmament is very strange.
Last edited by GakuseiDon on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Bernard Muller wrote:
I guess I'm hoping for something more. We need the historicity case to be made as strongly as it can, hopefully someday soon.
It really hurts. I wonder if I exist. I wonder if my all encompassing website on the matter is visible.
What's wrong with my case? I have the feeling my work is an elephant in the room.
http://historical-jesus.info/
http://historical-jesus.info/digest.html

Cordially, Bernard
I feel your pain! I guess it is because what is wanted is that someone in modern academia makes that case, rather than an amateur like you or me. I must admit I've never gone through that part of your website, even though you've obviously put a lot of work into it and I see you've gotten a lot of praise for its contents.

If I get a chance I'll look through it. Maybe a mythicist supporter can look through your case and provide some feedback?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

andrewcriddle wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:
It just occurs to me, reading through this thread, that Christian "Middle Platonism" (or whatever you want to call it) has been hiding in plain sight this entire time, for thousands of years, recited billions and billions of times.

I'm referring, of course, to the Lord's Prayer.

Matthew 6:10
Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.

You don't have to go poking around in obscure texts like the Ascension of Isaiah to find this...
IMO the petition in the Lord's prayer implies that God's will is already being done in Heaven (but not on Earth) and prays that God's will should not only be done in Heaven but on Earth as well.

i.e. the point is ethical; what happens in Heaven should happen on Earth. It is not the metaphysical; claim that what happens in Heaven necessarily has a reflection on Earth.

Andrew Criddle
That is certainly how I've always read it before. I'm not really sure there's much to the alternative reading suggested in my post above.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:
I guess I'm hoping for something more. We need the historicity case to be made as strongly as it can, hopefully someday soon.
It really hurts. I wonder if I exist. I wonder if my all encompassing website on the matter is visible.
What's wrong with my case? I have the feeling my work is an elephant in the room.

Cordially, Bernard
Nothing's wrong with it. It's one of the best.

However it is, like many other bodies of work, more investigative than judicial.

In other words, you're brilliant at chasing leads, but that doesn't mean we've been able to shut the case thanks to your work. We're not even properly in order to file the brief with the court and press charges. See what I mean with the analogy? We need something laser-focused on producing conviction on the main proposition, that there was a historical Jesus of Nazareth.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Bernard Muller wrote:

Cordially, Bernard
Nothing's wrong with it. It's one of the best.

However it is, like many other bodies of work, more investigative than judicial.

In other words, you're brilliant at chasing leads, but that doesn't mean we've been able to shut the case thanks to your work. We're not even properly in order to file the brief with the court and press charges. See what I mean with the analogy? We need something laser-focused on producing conviction on the main proposition, that there was a historical Jesus of Nazareth.
Your not serious are you? Much better option for the Jesus historicists is to drop the *historical* and simply run with the assumption that there was a flesh and blood Jesus in the gospel story. Argue that this assumption is a more plausible assumption than the alternative. Once *historical* enters the debate the Jesus historicists have lost their case. There simply is no irrefutable evidence for a claim of historicity.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
GakuseiDon

Crucifixion in the firmament?

Post by GakuseiDon »

In OHJ, Carrier writes on page 41 that "My perspective on this document [Ascension of Isaiah] has been inspired by the analysis in Earl Doherty, Jesus: Neither God nor Man". That's interesting, because Carrier seems to make the same mistake that Doherty made in J:NGNM, as I explained earlier in this thread. Carrier seems to imply that "in your form" in 9.13 is not in the earlier S/L texts. As Doherty noted, this is "a reference to human form and probably a reference to earth." (See my website for details here. Given that the Beloved's form is explicitly stated in the other levels of descent, I can't see it referring to any other level except earth.

Carrier writes, again on page 41:
  • In other words, instead of conducting a ministry on earth, Jesus is commanded to go straight to the firmament and die... The 'tree' on which he is crucified (9.14) is thus implied to be one of the 'copies' of trees that we're told are in the firmament (7. 10).
As both Bernard Muller and I pointed out, the text doesn't claim that there are "copies" of anything in 7.10. But leaving that aside, is the implication in 9.14 that the tree was in the firmament?

Let's look at 9.12 to 9.14: (items enclosed with [**] below are missing from some texts)
  • 12. And he said unto me: "Crowns and thrones of glory they do not receive, till the Beloved will descent in the form in which you will see Him descent [**into the world in the last days the Lord, who will be called Christ.**]
    13. Nevertheless they see and know whose will be thrones, and whose the crowns when He has descended and been made in your form, [**and they will think that He is flesh and is a man**].
    14. And the god of that world will stretch forth his hand against the Son, and they will crucify Him on a tree, and will slay Him not knowing who He is.
Now, "made in your form" appears in all texts. Since the Beloved takes on the form of firmament creatures in the firmament, and the form of air creatures in the air, then "in your form" would seem to be a reference to earth (as Doherty conceded in my review of J:NGNM, link above.)

But if 9.13 is a reference to a descent to earth, doesn't that suggest that the tree in 9.14 is also located on earth? I can't see it any other way, at least for the extant texts.

And from where does Carrier get "Jesus is commanded to go straight to the firmament and die"?

If my analysis is correct, then Carrier's use of AoI as support for his mythicist theory evaporates completely, as far as I can see.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

MrMacSon wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote: ... The earliest versions -- Slavonic and Latin -- have a docetic type of Christ on earth that representing a belief that exists in known literature. But Carrier constructs an even earlier version which supports his version of mythicism, but which does not appear to be representative of a belief in known literature. The question is whether Carrier's reasons for attempting to 'reconstruct' that earlier version are valid or not.
Versions of what?
I think G'Don is referring to the version of the "Ascension of Isaiah" but I could be wrong.

Be well,

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote: ... The earliest versions -- Slavonic and Latin -- have a docetic type of Christ on earth that representing a belief that exists in known literature. But Carrier constructs an even earlier version which supports his version of mythicism, but which does not appear to be representative of a belief in known literature. The question is whether Carrier's reasons for attempting to 'reconstruct' that earlier version are valid or not.
Versions of what?
I think G'Don is referring to the version of the "Ascension of Isaiah" but I could be wrong.
Yes, that's right. There are a few versions, generally breaking into earlier ones like the Slavonic and Latin (S/L), and a final one called the Ethiopian version. The Ethiopian version contains Gospel details. The earlier versions seem to show a docetic Christ character. See Bernard Muller's excellent website article on the AoI that details what is in each version: http://historical-jesus.info/100.html
MattMorales

Post by MattMorales »

Bernard Muller wrote:

Cordially, Bernard
I appreciate your work, Bernard. :thumbup:

Actually, my views have come pretty close in line with your own. Btw, I see you got an endorsement from Mahlon Smith. I'm an old student of his. Nice fellow. He really introduced me to NT criticism.