Only Fantastically Amazing People Think We Have The Ur-Canon

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Re: Only Fantastically Amazing People Think We Have The Ur-C

Post by Stephan Huller »

Well you might be right, you might be wrong. Que-sais je?
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

89 the Marcionite text = the precursor of the Western text, the Western text = the Diatessaron
Burkitt (Evangelion da-Mepharreshe, 2 vols., 1904) holds that the Assyrian Christians first knew the Syriac Gospels in the interwoven Diatessaron of Tatian, because the later title of the Four Gospels in Syriac, Evangelion da-Mepharreshe or 'the gospel of the separate ones.' “No one would be likely to speak of our four Gospels in that way who had not been earlier accustomed to use them in the combined form” (Souter, Text and Canon of the N. T., p. 55). The type of text in Tatian's Diatessaron is the ὁ or Western text. Souter (op. cit,. p. 56) notes that it is more like D and the Old Latin than it is like the Old Syriac text, though the Diatessaron and the Old Syriac do have some common renderings. [A. T. Robertson An Introduction to New Testament Criticism 2014 p. 144]
Ulrich Schmid - "Schmid's work clearly showed evidence of Marcion's text being related to a 'pre-Western' text in his Apostolikon" http://books.google.com/books?id=tTnRzX ... 22&f=false
Dieter Roth's dissertation -
"Both Marcion’s Apostolikon and Euangelion reveal affinities to the so-called ‘Western’ textual tradition, though the text is definitely not the ‘ὁ-text’ and likely represents a precursor to the ‘Western’ text."
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

90 it appears that Tertullian’s words more closely match the order and content of the text found in Mk (or possibly Mt) than that in the Majority Text of Lk:

Tertullian

Then, having taken the bread and given it to His disciples, He made it His own body, by saying, "This is my body," that is, the figure of my body…
He likewise, when mentioning the cup and making the covenant to be sealed in His blood, affirms the reality of His body…
In order, however, that you may discover how anciently wine is used as a figure for blood, turn to Isaiah…
Mk 14:22-25

And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take it: this is my body. [c.f. v. 22:19a]
And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. [c.f. v. 22:17]
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the covenant, [c.f. v. 22:20b]
which is shed for many. [c.f. v. 22:20c]
Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, [c.f. v. 22:18a]
until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. [c.f. v. 22:18b]
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I have cleaned these arguments up and posted them on my blog
http://stephanhuller.blogspot.com/2014/ ... r.html?m=1

Still have much more to do but its a start
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Up to 133.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Up to 160 at my blog
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Stephan Huller wrote:Up to 160 at my blog
Stephan, you are an eagle, flying over the vast landscape of your knowledge. But I fear a bit that no one can follow you or have the time for that ;)
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

what's so hard to follow? Christianity would never have developed from canonical Mark. Too short. So the neo-Protestants say "a ha that makes it believable, primitive." Not necessarily. Mark is called "cut fingers" because it was shortened not "primitive."
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Stephan Huller wrote:what's so hard to follow? Christianity would never have developed from canonical Mark. Too short. So the neo-Protestants say "a ha that makes it believable, primitive." Not necessarily. Mark is called "cut fingers" because it was shortened not "primitive."
I just meant the mass of your information
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

well that's my fault I guess. I always strive for a tout comprendre at the expense of disorienting myself (and those who bother to listen to me). But information has been taken away from us. Critical pieces of the puzzle. It's not like the Roman Church were faithful stewards of the canon. Whatever Christianity was before Irenaeus it was subversive enough to warrant persecutions - likely in Gaul and Egypt and perhaps elsewhere too. Those are never good preconditions for meticulous record keeping.