How mythicists are perceived by students and academics

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
PhilosopherJay

Re: How mythicists are perceived by students and academics

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Steve43,

The Greek is Ἡμερῶν δὲ διαγενομένων τινῶν. Translators go with "a few days," "some days," "several days," or "certain days." Ἡμερῶν... τινῶν. "A few days" and "several days" is specific, while "some days" or "certain days" is more general. Note that nobody translates it as a long period of time or many days. "Certain days" or "some days" could just imply that Agrippa did not come on Friday and Saturday because he was observing the Jewish Sabbath.
It was customary for the head of the territory to greet the Roman governor when he arrived. Festus had spent ten days traveling from Caesarea to Jerusalem and back to Caesarea. It would have been an insult if Agrippa had not welcomed him in a few days. Since the logic of the situation requires this interpretation which at least four different Bible translators make, and no Bible translator suggests that it was any longer, it is clear that the best interpretation is that Agrippa met with Festus within a few days of his judgment finding Paul innocent. Here are A number of translations:
New International Version
A few days later King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea to pay their respects to Festus.

New Living Translation
A few days later King Agrippa arrived with his sister, Bernice, to pay their respects to Festus.

English Standard Version
Now when some days had passed, Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and greeted Festus.

New American Standard Bible
Now when several days had elapsed, King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and paid their respects to Festus.

King James Bible
And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
After some days had passed, King Agrippa and Bernice arrived in Caesarea and paid a courtesy call on Festus.

International Standard Version
After several days had passed, King Agrippa and Bernice came to Caesarea to welcome Festus.

NET Bible
After several days had passed, King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea to pay their respects to Festus.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And when some days passed, Agrippa The King and Bernice came down to Caesarea to inquire the welfare of Festus.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Later King Agrippa and Bernice came to the city of Caesarea to welcome Festus.

Jubilee Bible 2000
And after certain days King Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus.

King James 2000 Bible
And after some days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to greet Festus.

American King James Version
And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came to Caesarea to salute Festus.

American Standard Version
Now when certain days were passed, Agrippa the King and Bernice arrived at Caesarea, and saluted Festus.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And after some days, king Agrippa and Bernice came down to Caesarea to salute Festus.

Darby Bible Translation
And when certain days had elapsed, Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea to salute Festus.

English Revised Version
Now when certain days were passed, Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea, and saluted Festus.

Webster's Bible Translation
And after certain days, king Agrippa and Bernice came to Cesarea, to salute Festus.

Weymouth New Testament
A short time after this, Agrippa the king and Bernice came to Caesarea to pay a complimentary visit to Festus;

World English Bible
Now when some days had passed, King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea, and greeted Festus.

Young's Literal Translation
And certain days having passed, Agrippa the king, and Bernice, came down to Caesarea saluting Festus,
Warmly,

Jay Raskin
steve43

Post by steve43 »

Like when I caught you in an error about Herod Philip and Herodias, confronted with the stark reality of Josephus being in Rome in A.D. 62-63 at the same time as Paul and the author of Luke/Acts, presumably Luke of Macedon, you retreat into a world of meaningless off-target "scholarship" and a world of minutia.

Josephus in Rome throws a monkey wrench into the late gospel theory.

Specifically on what you posted, as tangential as it is, I am impressed that you know Greek. All your citations do not imporess me, however, and the time interval between Paul's first "trial" with the Festus and chief priests is still uncertain.

But that was peripheral anyway. When did Festus arrive on the scene in Judea? WSe simply don't know. Agrippa I was appointed to his kingdom by Cauis in A. D. 41 and didn't actually go there for a year. Lamnia was the President of Asia, but record indicate that he never even went to Antioch- preferring to stay in Rome and collect his pay.

Felix was sent to trial for crimes, which was very contentious. Throw into the mix that Felix was the brother of the Treasurer of Empire and was a real mess.

But whether Paul and Luke arrived in Rome in A.D. 60, or 61, or 62 it remains that ACts ends with Paul staying in Rome for at least two more years.

Moving on the to lesser sources of Eusebius and the church fathers, it is reported that Paul and Peter got caught up in the Neronian persecutions.

That would mean that Paul and Luke were most likely in Rome for the entire duration of Josephus' very high-profile visit.

As Luke admits to using many sources for his gospel, it is far more likely this is where he obtained the Jesus in the Temple story in error, rather than postulating a convoluted theory that a vast conspiracy created ACTS after Josephus had completed his writings.

BTW, arguing that Rome wouldn't keep Priest imprisoned for so long, and basing it on events a quarter century earlier, is just plain silly and smacks of desperation.

You're not desperate, are you?

Are you afraid that Acts was actually written in the mid-sixties A.D.? Do you feel threatened, Philospopher Jay?
bcedaifu

Post by bcedaifu »

Steve 43 wrote:You're not desperate, are you?

Are you afraid that Acts was actually written in the mid-sixties A.D.? Do you feel threatened, Philospopher Jay?
He is not desperate.
He is certainly not threatened.

This is not an appropriate rejoinder, in my opinion. If you seek to impeach Jay's excellent post, above, please do so, by means of quotations from the Greek sources.
steve43

Post by steve43 »

He sounds desperate, setting up diversionary straw men to knock down.
PhilosopherJay

Copy From or Interpolation into Josephus?

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Steve43,

I am not desperate about the date of Acts. I have no doubt that it was written around the year 200 CE when it is first mentioned in works by Irenaeus and Tertullian. It is not mentioned in dozens of works written earlier such as Celsus and Justin Martyr (circa 180). If written earlier, we would expect to find citations in earlier works.

Paul's alleged trip to Rome is launched by a Bad Wish motif which is standard in Mythology and folk tales. This is when a wish is granted, but it turns out to have an opposite effect than intended. King Midas is probably the most famous. He gets his wish that everything he touches turns to gold only to find that the food he touches also changes to gold. King Oedipus gets his wish to discover what is causing the plague in Thebes. It turns out, to his dismay, that he is the cause. We also find the bad wish motif in the John the Baptist story, where the Tetrach Herod grants Herodias or her daughter Salome a birthday wish and she asks for the head of John the Baptist. This wish motif seems to be based on a story in Josephus where Herodias demands that her Husband Herod go to the Emperor Claudius in Rome and ask for an enlargement of his empire to match that of his brother Antipater. Instead Claudius takes away his lands and send him and Herodias into exile.

In this case, Paul gets his wish to be sent to Rome to be judged, but his wish backfires as Festus says he would have found him innocent, only he appealed to Caesar to go to Rome to be judged, so he has to send him to Rome. Obviously, Festus was under no obligation to send a man he considered innocent to Rome just because he had asked for it. In fact, given the expense of having an army captain guard a prisoner all the way to Rome, it is quite hilarious and ridiculous.

What I am desperate to know is if the text of Josephus' "Life" was altered, as so many other text were, like the TF, the line about James the brother of the Lord, and the John the Baptist material.

Ordinarily, I would simply say that the author of Acts copied from Josephus the idea of Jewish priests being sent to Rome to be tried and the dramatic shipwreck episode. However, the dating is highly problematic. Josephus says he was born in the first year of Gaius Caesar (AKA Caligula), which was March 18, 37 - March 17, 38. he says he went in his 26th year to Rome. This would be March 18, 62 to March 17, 63. Then he says:
Felix was procurator of Judea there were certain priests of my acquaintance, and very excellent persons they were, whom on a small and trifling occasion he had put into bonds and sent to Rome to plead their cause before Caesar. These I was desirous to procure deliverance for, and that especially because I was informed that they were not unmindful of piety towards God, even under their afflictions, but supported themselves with figs and nuts. (4) Accordingly I came to Rome, though it were through a great number of hazards by sea; for as our ship was drowned in the Adriatic Sea, we that were in it, being about six hundred in number, (5) swam for our lives all the night; when, upon the first appearance of the day, and upon our sight of a ship of Cyrene
Because of the date on the Festus coin (year 5 of Nero), we can establish June of 59 as probably the latest date of Festus coming to Caesarea, although it is possibly more likely he came up to a year earlier in 58. Since Felix sent Josephus' friends, they must have been sent sometime before June 59, again more likely before June 58.

Our problem is that in the next paragraph after describing his trip to Rome, he says:
4. And now I perceived innovations were already begun, and that there were a great many very much elevated in hopes of a revolt from the Romans. I therefore endeavored to put a stop to these tumultuous persons, and persuaded them to change their minds;...5. I was then afraid, lest, by inculcating these things so often, I should incur their hatred and their suspicions, as if I were of our enemies' party, and should run into the danger of being seized by them, and slain; since they were already possessed of Antonia, which was the citadel; so I retired into the inner court of the temple. Yet did I go out of the temple again, after Manahem and the principal of the band of robbers were put to death, when I abode among the high priests and the chief of the Pharisees. [/qc
These events took place in 67.

Thus we have Josephus' friends being sent to Rome for judgment on minor charges in 58 or 59. We have Josephus saying, he went to Rome in 62 or early 63. He seems to have returned from Rome in 67 after the outbreak of the war. It is hard to believe that he would wait 3-5 years to help his friends win a trial on "a small and trifling occasion". It is hard to believe he would be in Rome 3-5 more years helping his friends win a trial on "a small and trifling occasion". The fact that his ship was wrecked and he swam for his life just as Paul did, suggests to me that this passage might have been interpolated into Josephus to back up the wild and fantastic tale that Acts tells.

I thank you again for reminding me about this interesting passage from Josephus that I had forgotten about.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

steve43 wrote:Like when I caught you in an error about Herod Philip and Herodias, confronted with the stark reality of Josephus being in Rome in A.D. 62-63 at the same time as Paul and the author of Luke/Acts, presumably Luke of Macedon, you retreat into a world of meaningless off-target "scholarship" and a world of minutia.

Josephus in Rome throws a monkey wrench into the late gospel theory.

Specifically on what you posted, as tangential as it is, I am impressed that you know Greek. All your citations do not imporess me, however, and the time interval between Paul's first "trial" with the Festus and chief priests is still uncertain.

But that was peripheral anyway. When did Festus arrive on the scene in Judea? WSe simply don't know. Agrippa I was appointed to his kingdom by Cauis in A. D. 41 and didn't actually go there for a year. Lamnia was the President of Asia, but record indicate that he never even went to Antioch- preferring to stay in Rome and collect his pay.

Felix was sent to trial for crimes, which was very contentious. Throw into the mix that Felix was the brother of the Treasurer of Empire and was a real mess.

But whether Paul and Luke arrived in Rome in A.D. 60, or 61, or 62 it remains that ACts ends with Paul staying in Rome for at least two more years.

Moving on the to lesser sources of Eusebius and the church fathers, it is reported that Paul and Peter got caught up in the Neronian persecutions.

That would mean that Paul and Luke were most likely in Rome for the entire duration of Josephus' very high-profile visit.

As Luke admits to using many sources for his gospel, it is far more likely this is where he obtained the Jesus in the Temple story in error, rather than postulating a convoluted theory that a vast conspiracy created ACTS after Josephus had completed his writings.

BTW, arguing that Rome wouldn't keep Priest imprisoned for so long, and basing it on events a quarter century earlier, is just plain silly and smacks of desperation.

You're not desperate, are you?

steve43

Post by steve43 »

Okaaaaay.

Well, I suggest that you sit down and have a quiet read of Josephus' "Wars of the Jews."

Don't try to read too much into it. I would recommend that you just take things at face value as you read and enjoy the story.

If you do, I think several issues that you touched on will come into sharper focus and make more sense.
PhilosopherJay

Smoking Sword That Eusebius Interpolated the Trip to Rome

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi All,

Eusebius was apparently the first person to declare that Paul did not get executed on his first trip to Rome, but that Nero, like Agrippa and Festus and Felix before him found him innocent. Here is Church History Book II, Chapter 22.
1. Festus was sent by Nero to be Felix's successor. Under him Paul, having made his defense, was sent bound to Rome. Aristarchus was with him, whom he also somewhere in his epistles quite naturally calls his fellow-prisoner. Colossians 4:10 And Luke, who wrote the Acts of the Apostles, brought his history to a close at this point, after stating that Paul spent two whole years at Rome as a prisoner at large, and preached the word of God without restraint.

2. Thus after he had made his defense it is said that the apostle was sent again upon the ministry of preaching, and that upon coming to the same city a second time he suffered martyrdom. In this imprisonment he wrote his second epistle to Timothy, in which he mentions his first defense and his impending death.

3. But hear his testimony on these matters: "At my first answer," he says, "no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion." 2 Timothy 4:16-17

4. He plainly indicates in these words that on the former occasion, in order that the preaching might be fulfilled by him, he was rescued from the mouth of the lion, referring, in this expression, to Nero, as is probable on account of the latter's cruelty. He did not therefore afterward add the similar statement, "He will rescue me from the mouth of the lion"; for he saw in the spirit that his end would not be long delayed.

5. Wherefore he adds to the words, "And he delivered me from the mouth of the lion," this sentence: "The Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom," 2 Timothy 4:18 indicating his speedy martyrdom; which he also foretells still more clearly in the same epistle, when he writes, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand."

6. In his second epistle to Timothy, moreover, he indicates that Luke was with him when he wrote, but at his first defense not even he. Whence it is probable that Luke wrote the Acts of the Apostles at that time, continuing his history down to the period when he was with Paul.

7. But these things have been adduced by us to show that Paul's martyrdom did not take place at the time of that Roman sojourn which Luke records.

8. It is probable indeed that as Nero was more disposed to mildness in the beginning, Paul's defense of his doctrine was more easily received; but that when he had advanced to the commission of lawless deeds of daring, he made the apostles as well as others the subjects of his attacks.
Eusebius wants us to know that Nero also found Paul innocent of the charges the Jews laid against him. Thus he forges the passage in Josephus to have Josephus save Paul and Fellow priests. He is sure to set the date of Josephus' rescue in 63, so we understand that Luke left him in 62, two years after his arrival. That is why Acts does not record Paul's death or release. Eusebius even has a Jewish actor and Nero mistress Poppaea intervene on Paul's behalf to make Nero's release more believable.

The statement in Josephus that he went to rescue some good priests who were put in bonds on a "small and trifling occasion" is another smoking gun. Acts 25:
17 When they came here with me, I did not delay the case, but convened the court the next day and ordered the man to be brought in. 18 When his accusers got up to speak, they did not charge him with any of the crimes I had expected. 19 Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive. 20 I was at a loss how to investigate such matters;
This is "the small and trifling occasion." - "a point of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive."

Eusebius expects the reader to put it together and get that Josephus was a friend of Paul and helped rescue him.

That is also why Josephus never gives us the names of the priests he rescued. Eusebius knows that every Christian who has read Acts will know who was arrested by Felix in Jerusalem and who was sent to Rome when Festus first came. It is also why Josephus doesn't identify the men he rescues as Jews, but only as "certain priests of my acquaintance, and very excellent persons."

Again, my thanks to Steve43 for his insight that Josephus met Paul in Rome in 63. He was absolutely right about this. The only detail he missed is that it was Bishop Eusebius who sent him there.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Leucius Charinus

Re: Smoking Sword That Eusebius Interpolated the Trip to Rom

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Hi Philosopher Jay,

Bishop Eusebius is a worry.

Be well,

LC

PhilosopherJay wrote:Hi All,

Eusebius was apparently the first person to declare that Paul did not get executed on his first trip to Rome, but that Nero, like Agrippa and Festus and Felix before him found him innocent. Here is Church History Book II, Chapter 22.
1. Festus was sent by Nero to be Felix's successor. Under him Paul, having made his defense, was sent bound to Rome. Aristarchus was with him, whom he also somewhere in his epistles quite naturally calls his fellow-prisoner. Colossians 4:10 And Luke, who wrote the Acts of the Apostles, brought his history to a close at this point, after stating that Paul spent two whole years at Rome as a prisoner at large, and preached the word of God without restraint.

2. Thus after he had made his defense it is said that the apostle was sent again upon the ministry of preaching, and that upon coming to the same city a second time he suffered martyrdom. In this imprisonment he wrote his second epistle to Timothy, in which he mentions his first defense and his impending death.

3. But hear his testimony on these matters: "At my first answer," he says, "no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion." 2 Timothy 4:16-17

4. He plainly indicates in these words that on the former occasion, in order that the preaching might be fulfilled by him, he was rescued from the mouth of the lion, referring, in this expression, to Nero, as is probable on account of the latter's cruelty. He did not therefore afterward add the similar statement, "He will rescue me from the mouth of the lion"; for he saw in the spirit that his end would not be long delayed.

5. Wherefore he adds to the words, "And he delivered me from the mouth of the lion," this sentence: "The Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom," 2 Timothy 4:18 indicating his speedy martyrdom; which he also foretells still more clearly in the same epistle, when he writes, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand."

6. In his second epistle to Timothy, moreover, he indicates that Luke was with him when he wrote, but at his first defense not even he. Whence it is probable that Luke wrote the Acts of the Apostles at that time, continuing his history down to the period when he was with Paul.

7. But these things have been adduced by us to show that Paul's martyrdom did not take place at the time of that Roman sojourn which Luke records.

8. It is probable indeed that as Nero was more disposed to mildness in the beginning, Paul's defense of his doctrine was more easily received; but that when he had advanced to the commission of lawless deeds of daring, he made the apostles as well as others the subjects of his attacks.
Eusebius wants us to know that Nero also found Paul innocent of the charges the Jews laid against him. Thus he forges the passage in Josephus to have Josephus save Paul and Fellow priests. He is sure to set the date of Josephus' rescue in 63, so we understand that Luke left him in 62, two years after his arrival. That is why Acts does not record Paul's death or release. Eusebius even has a Jewish actor and Nero mistress Poppaea intervene on Paul's behalf to make Nero's release more believable.

The statement in Josephus that he went to rescue some good priests who were put in bonds on a "small and trifling occasion" is another smoking gun. Acts 25:
17 When they came here with me, I did not delay the case, but convened the court the next day and ordered the man to be brought in. 18 When his accusers got up to speak, they did not charge him with any of the crimes I had expected. 19 Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive. 20 I was at a loss how to investigate such matters;
This is "the small and trifling occasion." - "a point of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive."

Eusebius expects the reader to put it together and get that Josephus was a friend of Paul and helped rescue him.

That is also why Josephus never gives us the names of the priests he rescued. Eusebius knows that every Christian who has read Acts will know who was arrested by Felix in Jerusalem and who was sent to Rome when Festus first came. It is also why Josephus doesn't identify the men he rescues as Jews, but only as "certain priests of my acquaintance, and very excellent persons."

Again, my thanks to Steve43 for his insight that Josephus met Paul in Rome in 63. He was absolutely right about this. The only detail he missed is that it was Bishop Eusebius who sent him there.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

2nd blog by same author: The Various Theories about Jesus’s Non-Existence
http://danielngullotta.wordpress.com/20 ... existence/
  • As I explore this topic more, I intend to formulate a best sense of categorization and organization when speaking to the Christ Myth theory and its various theses. Tim O’Neill has already provided an overview of the four main theories when speaking about the Christ Myth theory and its supporters in his article, Did Jesus Exist? The Christ Myth Theory, Again. (LINK: http://armariummagnus.blogspot.com.au/2 ... again.html ) While every thesis needs to rise and fall on its own merits, because of the undeniable similarities that will emerge, better identifiers and categorizes can be formulation that represent these Mythicist’s views better.

I am still exploring and exposing myself to the primary literature of the Christ Myth theory, so these categories are completely open to change, correction, and expansion as well as evolution. Thus far, I see four main trends emerging:
    • The Amalgamation/Syncretism Thesis: The historical Jesus never existed but was rather an amalgamation of various Pagan mythologies and mythological figures (eg. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.). The figure of Jesus was the result of a process of syncretism akin to many religious cults within the ancient world.

The Angelic/Celestial Jesus Thesis: Jesus was understood by the earliest Christians not to be a historical figure, but rather as a celestial/angelic being. In the years following, this celestial/angelic Jesus was historized and later considered a God-Man who actually walked and preached on the earth.

The Fictional/Literary Jesus Thesis: The story and figure of Jesus represent fictional narratives and literary stories that were later mistakenly (or intentionally) understood as historical and theological realities. Jesus was originally mean’t to be understood symbolically/allegorically, not literally.

The Composite Figure Thesis: The figure of Jesus was a composite of an individual or various figures from ancient history and/or Jewish mythology. Given its composition, no single person can be identified with the historical Jesus.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Leucius Charinus,

All four of these theories are non-contradictory and need to be examined as parts of a single theory. Divided into separate theories, they do not account for the full range of Christian mythological construction.

Imagine a biologist saying, "There is the egg theory of human reproduction and the sperm theory of human reproduction. We will examine each of these theories separately and show that they cannot account for human reproduction."

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Leucius Charinus wrote:2nd blog by same author: The Various Theories about Jesus’s Non-Existence
http://danielngullotta.wordpress.com/20 ... existence/
  • As I explore this topic more, I intend to formulate a best sense of categorization and organization when speaking to the Christ Myth theory and its various theses. Tim O’Neill has already provided an overview of the four main theories when speaking about the Christ Myth theory and its supporters in his article, Did Jesus Exist? The Christ Myth Theory, Again. (LINK: http://armariummagnus.blogspot.com.au/2 ... again.html ) While every thesis needs to rise and fall on its own merits, because of the undeniable similarities that will emerge, better identifiers and categorizes can be formulation that represent these Mythicist’s views better.

I am still exploring and exposing myself to the primary literature of the Christ Myth theory, so these categories are completely open to change, correction, and expansion as well as evolution. Thus far, I see four main trends emerging:
    • The Amalgamation/Syncretism Thesis: The historical Jesus never existed but was rather an amalgamation of various Pagan mythologies and mythological figures (eg. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.). The figure of Jesus was the result of a process of syncretism akin to many religious cults within the ancient world.

The Angelic/Celestial Jesus Thesis: Jesus was understood by the earliest Christians not to be a historical figure, but rather as a celestial/angelic being. In the years following, this celestial/angelic Jesus was historized and later considered a God-Man who actually walked and preached on the earth.

The Fictional/Literary Jesus Thesis: The story and figure of Jesus represent fictional narratives and literary stories that were later mistakenly (or intentionally) understood as historical and theological realities. Jesus was originally mean’t to be understood symbolically/allegorically, not literally.

The Composite Figure Thesis: The figure of Jesus was a composite of an individual or various figures from ancient history and/or Jewish mythology. Given its composition, no single person can be identified with the historical Jesus.