HJ and Christian origins plausibility

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MattMorales

Re: HJ and Christian origins plausibility

Post by MattMorales »

Ah, I hate discovering threads when they are already 8 pages long! :P

On the topic of OT prophecy and things like the "Triumphal Entry" I am split. On one hand, I appreciate the argument from redundancy in that if it was thought of as something the messiah would do, we cannot say for sure that Jesus actually did it (since the gospel writers/rumormongers would have wanted such details to fill out the story). On the other hand, if we do posit an HJ, then he must have done some thing or some things during his lifetime which convinced his followers that he was the messiah. I have yet to see a strong enough argument for the "suffering servant" being interpreted as messianic pre-Christianity (although I am open to the possibility), and find it much more likely these beliefs about him developed before the crucifixion (and then cue cognitive dissonance). So little things like riding into Jerusalem on a donkey could theoretically fit the bill of someone who wanted to give off that he was the One foretold.

On another note, I am hesitant to attribute any atonement theology to Cephas or any of Jesus' relatives/followers. That might be a Pauline innovation. I'm particularly struck by the Didache, which lacks any talk of Christ's atoning death when describing the Eucharist.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

MattMorales wrote:On the topic of OT prophecy and things like the "Triumphal Entry" I am split. On one hand, I appreciate the argument from redundancy in that if it was thought of as something the messiah would do, we cannot say for sure that Jesus actually did it (since the gospel writers/rumormongers would have wanted such details to fill out the story). On the other hand, if we do posit an HJ, then he must have done some thing or some things during his lifetime which convinced his followers that he was the messiah.
An interesting thought, right? In this context, I love the following passage from Luke 22:
36 He said to them, "But now the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one.
37 For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled."
38 They [the disciples] said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "It is enough," he replied. (NRSV)
Isn't this wonderful? The text at the same time implies that this deed of purchasing the swords was done for the sole purpose of fulfilling some OT screen-play and that he actually didn't like doing this. So it actually implies that he only did this to look like the promised messiah.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MattMorales wrote: On the topic of OT prophecy and things like the "Triumphal Entry"

I always find the story as written as rhetoric mythology to match OT prophecy and nothing more.

I leave the chance he could have been mocking Pilates entry per Crossan.

Knowing the trial was fiction, events in the temple for the most part fiction, I put very little faith in any details from people far removed from any event.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

outhouse wrote:Knowing the trial was fiction, events in the temple for the most part fiction, I put very little faith in any details from people far removed from any event.
It's funny. If you take the story at face value, there were no obvious witnesses.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ulan wrote:An interesting thought, right? In this context, I love the following passage from Luke 22:
36 He said to them, "But now the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one.
37 For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered among the lawless’; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled."
38 They [the disciples] said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "It is enough," he replied. (NRSV)
Isn't this wonderful? The text at the same time implies that this deed of purchasing the swords was done for the sole purpose of fulfilling some OT screen-play and that he actually didn't like doing this. So it actually implies that he only did this to look like the promised messiah.
:mrgreen:

Luke was just stu... :silenced:
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
Ulan wrote:An interesting thought, right? In this context, I love the following passage from Luke 22:
:mrgreen:

Luke was just stu... :silenced:
True. In principle, he is telling us here that Jesus was a pretender.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ulan wrote:
outhouse wrote:Knowing the trial was fiction, events in the temple for the most part fiction, I put very little faith in any details from people far removed from any event.
It's funny. If you take the story at face value, there were no obvious witnesses.
Comprehensive issues?

How is saying other elements are fiction taking it at face value?
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

outhouse wrote:
Ulan wrote:
Comprehensive issues?
Whose? Did I contradict you or corroborate your statement?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ulan wrote: Whose? Did I contradict you or corroborate your statement?
OK, I think I understand what your getting at now.

I did not see how it tied into my reply.