Jesus Not Nailed to the Cross?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Jesus Not Nailed to the Cross?

Post by maryhelena »

outhouse wrote:
maryhelena wrote:Sure, the gospel Jesus crucifixion is a literary construct..
Nothing you will ever be able to substantiate.
And you can establish the alternative?

:banghead:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

maryhelena wrote:
outhouse wrote:

It already is. Sorry the crucifixion has historicity at this time.

wiki

Jesus' crucifixion is described in the four canonical gospels, referred to in the New Testament Epistles, attested to by other ancient sources, and is established as a historical event confirmed by non-Christian sources
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

maryhelena wrote:
outhouse wrote:

It already is. Sorry the crucifixion has historicity at this time.

wiki

Jesus' crucifixion is described in the four canonical gospels, referred to in the New Testament Epistles, attested to by other ancient sources, and is established as a historical event confirmed by non-Christian sources
:popcorn:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote:
cienfuegos wrote: what historical record do you have that claims Jesus of Nazareth was a zealot? Or even a rebel of any kind at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilean

Generically, a Galilean is an inhabitant of Galilee. Galileans (or Galilæans) were also the members of a fanatical sect (Zealots), followers of Judas of Galilee, who fiercely resented the taxation of the Romans, and whose violence contributed to induce the latter to vow the extermination of the whole race.

Some of his closest disciples were said to be Zealots
Jesus's description as a zealot seems to be a recent phenomenon coinciding with Reza Azlan's assertion he was.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote: Jesus' crucifixion ... is established as a historical event confirmed by non-Christian sources
It would be appropriate for you to at least name those 'sources'.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:
outhouse wrote:
cienfuegos wrote: what historical record do you have that claims Jesus of Nazareth was a zealot? Or even a rebel of any kind at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilean

Generically, a Galilean is an inhabitant of Galilee. Galileans (or Galilæans) were also the members of a fanatical sect (Zealots), followers of Judas of Galilee, who fiercely resented the taxation of the Romans, and whose violence contributed to induce the latter to vow the extermination of the whole race.

Some of his closest disciples were said to be Zealots
Jesus's description as a zealot seems to be a recent phenomenon coinciding with Reza Azlan's assertion he was.

I think you have known me long enough, to know that I held that position before his book was even known.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:
outhouse wrote: Jesus' crucifixion ... is established as a historical event confirmed by non-Christian sources
It would be appropriate for you to at least name those 'sources'.

^ Eddy & Boyd (2007) The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition Baker Academic, ISBN 0-8010-3114-1 page 127 states that it is now "firmly established" that there is non-Christian confirmation of the crucifixion of Jesus.

^ Jesus of Nazareth by Paul Verhoeven (Apr 6, 2010) ISBN 1-58322-905-1 page 39

4.^ Jump up to: a b c Jesus Remembered by James D. G. Dunn 2003 ISBN 0-8028-3931-2 page 339
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Eddy & Boyd (2007), Paul Verhoeven (2010), & James D. G. Dunn 2003 are beyond secondary 'sources', unless they cite primary sources
(yet no primary sources have ever been found).
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

MrMacSon wrote: Jesus's description as a zealot seems to be a recent phenomenon coinciding with Reza Azlan's assertion he was.
outhouse wrote:I think you have known me long enough, to know that I held that position before his book was even known.
My point wasn't about you.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:Eddy & Boyd (2007), Paul Verhoeven (2010), & James D. G. Dunn 2003 are beyond secondary 'sources', unless they cite primary sources
(yet no primary sources have ever been found).
Changes nothing.

You have not refuted their work. You certainly do not get to judge its credibility either.