New Fragment of Mark! Dated 1st century!

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Re: New Fragment of Mark! Dated 1st century!

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Was Jesus mummified?

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Kunigunde,

Thank you for this. It is truly frightening that David Greene, owner of Hobby Lobby, and other wealthy evangelists are apparently destroying history in their attempt to provide historical evidence for the Jesus mythology.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:a little side note

Roberta Mazza, 24 June 2014
Papyri, Collectors and the Antiquities Market: a Survey and Some Questions
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

PhilosopherJay wrote:Hi Kunigunde,

Thank you for this. It is truly frightening that David Greene, owner of Hobby Lobby, and other wealthy evangelists are apparently destroying history in their attempt to provide historical evidence for the Jesus mythology.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

I was surprised to see David Trobisch as the curator of Green's collection of artifacts. I was wondering where he had gone to ...

DCH
Blood

Post by Blood »

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

"To sum up: We are still acting as though living in the colonial, Victorian past, or to rephrase the title of a famous book of Bruno Latour “we’ve never been post-colonial”, which makes me unhappy, and on so many levels."
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Post by Blood »

DCHindley wrote:

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

I was surprised to see David Trobisch as the curator of Green's collection of artifacts. I was wondering where he had gone to ...

DCH

Must be a seriously mixed blessing for Trobisch. He was undoubtedly lured away from academia with a lot of cash, and he gets to work with ancient texts. Sounds like a dream job except that his boss is a fundamentalist of the most cartoonish stereotype.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Not sure if a "lot of cash" or three hots and a cot was the primary motivator.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
toejam

Post by toejam »

I posted the link on Ehrman's blog. This was his reply:

"I think that must be the fragment. It’s highly controversial just now, since apparently the people wanting to get to these papyri have no scruples at all about destroying other antiquities (masks from Egypt) in order to get to them."

This hadn't occurred to me. Yeah, that's pretty messed up when you think about it.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Trobisch is cool. He was raised by missionary parents in Africa. Anyone from Africa is cool. African 'coolifies' people.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Stephan Huller wrote:Trobisch is cool. He was raised by missionary parents in Africa. Anyone from Africa is cool. African 'coolifies' people.
Wow - Having lived in Africa (East and South) for over 50 years - I must be super cool ....... :popcorn:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats