John the Baptist, redivivus of a 2015 article

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

John the Baptist, redivivus of a 2015 article

Post by Peter Kirby »

My 2015 blog article on the passage regarding John the Baptist in the Antiquities is receiving attention recently in 2024. I'm taking this as a compliment. That article is here:

https://peterkirby.com/john-the-baptist-authentic.html

Neil Godfrey has replied here and here:

https://vridar.org/2024/01/11/where-doe ... phus-pt-1/

https://vridar.org/2024/01/12/where-doe ... phus-pt-2/

I just noticed this today, following a link from this forum to Vridar, and I have left this comment:

Hi Neil, thank you for this discussion. I am glad to see that the 2015 article is seen as a valuable point of reference for discussion of the passage about John in the 18th book of the Antiquities. Since I am not a reader on a regular cadence, please drop me a line next time to let me know.

Without responding to everything you have written, I would like to make a comment on the purpose of my article. I took up the same pattern as my article on the Testimonium – at https://www.earlychristianwritings.com/testimonium.html – where I am inclined to regard both references to Jesus as spurious. Which is to say, I attempted to canvas all of the arguments with which I am familiar. These arguments may be “of various quality” (as also in the Testimonium article). I did not omit arguments that agreed with the conclusion I reached even if I viewed some of them as indecisive, weak, or possibly even inconsequential.

For this article on the passage regarding John, I gave a guide to the reader on which arguments I considered to stand out as more than “slight indications.” I gave credit to “The Statements Regarding Baptism and Sin in the Passage” as an argument for inauthenticity. And I referenced these arguments for authenticity:

(2) The Unlikelihood of an Interpolation on John Being Inserted First
(3) The Unlikelihood of a Christian Interpolation on John Saying Nothing of Jesus
(6) A Poor Chronological Fit with the Timeline of the Gospels
(7) The Reason for the Execution of John in Disagreement with the Gospels
(8) Political Contextualizing More Characteristic of Josephus
(13) The Word for “Sin” in the Passage Characteristic of Josephan Usage
(14) The Word for “Baptism” in the Passage Uncharacteristic of Christian Usage
(15) Ant. 18.120 Incongruous without Ant. 18.116-119 (and Appropriate As-Is)

Accordingly, if it is directed at me, I take some exception to the comment (without considering myself a serious scholar in any case), “The serious scholar of ancient texts should never adopt a defensive position against the possibility that any particular passage might be an interpolation.” I wrote here, “This argument by itself is certainly not decisive … The most that _might_ be said, on this basis alone, is that a suggestion of interpolation here should require some decent arguments to substantiate it.” This was only a modest affordance to the person who might want to try to take up this point, in an attempt to give a fair account.

For (5), I write explicitly “This particular argument, however, is not completely sound” and “Credit for this point thus does not rightfully belong in the authenticity column, in the final accounting.” The unfortunate reply to my section (5) is: “And the gospels disagree among themselves about the baptism of John. Yet Kirby overlooks at this point that Nir explains at some length that the baptism described in the Josephan passage was entirely consistent with other Christian and fringe Jewish sects (the kind Josephus would not be favourable towards) at the time.” This is an argument that was introduced only to be explicitly rejected. Not only that, but I also explicitly give credit to Nir in this section. I wrote, “Indeed, the lengthy article by Rivka Nir and one of the points made by Robert Price, in favor of interpolation, as well as the earlier discussion of Israel Abrahams (responding to an argument similar to that of Nir and Price), revolve around precisely this.” Furthermore, this was the argument for inauthenticity (“The Statements Regarding Baptism and Sin in the Passage”) that I specifically remarked upon as being cogent in the conclusion to the article.

Regarding matters of style, most of them were relegated to being no more than slight indications in the conclusion. This includes both points that you reply to specifically, i.e. (11) and (12). Based on the conclusion – trust me, I’m going based only on what I can read because I don’t remember much from what I was thinking in 2015 – only the points (13) and (14) were given real credit in this regard. Yet (11) and (12) receive comments, while (13) and (14) get no specific comments.

Taking it the other way, looking at what I called out as arguments for authenticity, I can see:

(2) has a response based on Rivka Nir that suggests that Origen was not referring to the passage on John in the 18th book of the Antiquities. I must agree with you that I hadn’t considered that suggestion when I wrote my essay, which must explain why I presented the argument based on the assumption that Origen did.

(3) also has a response that quotes Rivka Nir: “Conversely, had the author presented John in connection to Jesus and the Christian gospel, and had his testimony been fully aligned with the Gospel account, Eusebius’s proof for the veracity of the Gospel narratives (‘confirming the description of him contained in the gospel narrative’) would be weakened considerably and the forgery would not achieve its purpose—to prove John’s historical existence independently of Gospel events.” I don’t agree that Rivka Nir has made an effective rebuttal here, but that can be a separate discussion. It seems to be the crux of your response, so more than a brief comment would be warranted.

(6) gets no comment other than a reference back to (3).

(7) also gets no comment other than a reference back to (3).

(8) also references back to (3). That quote from Rivka Nir quote is doing a lot of work. This also elicits another quote from Nir, which includes: “How could Josephus claim that the Jews credited Herod’s defeat to John’s death, which preceded it by six years?” There are several assumptions here: the implied assumption that this is a valid argument against it having happened, the assumption regarding a particular dating of the death of Jesus, and the assumption that John died before Jesus did (which is necessary for the point to have force – the gospels could just have the time John died wrong). Would that Nir could be put under the same magnifying glass.

(13) and (14) receive no specific comment, and (15) does receive discussion from you in some detail, in the next blog post, which stands out for the virtue of presenting detailed interaction with the points I made, with specificity and via your own discussion.

My original article is quite long, and I understand the inclination towards brevity in your response to it. I do recommend that anyone interested review it themselves. There’s quite a bit more to it than the article’s headings that give title to the arguments.

As I wrote above, your response to (3) appears to be the crux here. If someone agrees with you and/or Rivka Nir, that the passage has been crafted to give confirmation for the veracity of the historicity of John, without being “stupid,” whittling away what can make it look like it came from someone with the concerns of a Christian, adding back what would make it look like it came from someone with a perspective like that of Josephus, and doing so quite effectively, then sure, they could also agree that this waves away completely several arguments for the passage being authentic. For now, since this is quite long enough for a comment and since that point is deserving of fuller treatment, let the reader decide.

I have no additional comment here right now, but I will let Neil Godfrey know that I have started a discussion on the forum.

So, discuss amongst yourselves.
Giuseppe

Re: John the Baptist, redivivus of a 2015 article

Post by Giuseppe »

As I have written, this point is decisive:
(2) has a response based on Rivka Nir that suggests that Origen was not referring to the passage on John in the 18th book of the Antiquities. I must agree with you that I hadn’t considered that suggestion when I wrote my essay, which must explain why I presented the argument based on the assumption that Origen did.
...since who are us to exorcise the suspicion, and only the suspicion, that Origen was quoting Hegesippus also about John the Baptist, so rapidly he leaps from the reference to James (verified by critical exegesis as deriving from Hegesippus) to the reference to John the Baptist ?

Hence the best case for the authenticity of the Baptist Passage can't overcome this obstacle, hence at most allowing only for an agnostic position as final verdict.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I didn't say it was a good suggestion. I said that I must not have considered it when I was writing in 2015.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

And now that you consider it? I think that the conclusion would be too much obvious, as specified in my post above.

My point is that the question is so undecidable (about who was quoted really by Origen) that, even if in whiletime (for sake of discussion) you (or another person) accumulate all the best internal arguments for the authenticity of the Baptist Passage in Josephus, well, even so, the said undecidability cannot be overcome.

The possibility that for the death of James Origen relied on some Christian interpolation into Josephus, or drew the James's testimony from Hegesippus, namely, from an anterior Christian source that he confused with Josephus, may suggest that his testimony about John the Baptist likewise relied on some Christian interpolation into Josephus or an anterior Christian source. That Eusebius does not make it explicit that the Baptist testimony is based on Hegesippus, as he does in the case of James, is no ground for dismissing this possibility outright, as all agree that Eusebius relied on Hegesippus much more than he was willing to concede. The fact that Origen's two testimonies are continuous, coming one after the other, may serve as indirect proof that both were borrowed from the same source and may conceivably have appeared in this order in Hegesippus.

(Rivka Nir, The First Christian Believer, p. 40-41, my bold)
Last edited by Giuseppe on Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

maryhelena wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am https://www.academia.edu/45103888/Natha ... n_Believer

Review might be of interest.
Note the foxiness of this 'reviewer':
She thus speculates that Origen may have relied on “an anterior Christian source that he confused with Josephus” (40).

In the entire article he avoids any mention of Hegesippus by Rivka Nir, as if Origen had not already confused him with Josephus only a second before he wrote about John the Baptist. Surely that confusion (that is a fact about the reference to James, and Peter would agree) gives more consistency to the 'speculation' that Origen was based on a Christian source also about John the Baptist.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:25 am And now that you consider it? I think that the conclusion would be too much obvious, as specified in my post above.

My point is that the question is so undecidable (about who was quoted really by Origen) that, even if in whiletime (for sake of discussion) you (or another person) accumulate all the best internal arguments for the authenticity of the Baptist Passage in Josephus, well, even so, the said undecidability cannot be overcome.

The possibility that for the death of James Origen relied on some Christian interpolation into Josephus, or drew the James's testimony from Hegesippus, namely, from an anterior Christian source that he confused with Josephus, may suggest that his testimony about John the Baptist likewise relied on some Christian interpolation into Josephus or an anterior Christian source. That Eusebius does not make it explicit that the Baptist testimony is based on Hegesippus, as he does in the case of James, is no ground for dismissing this possibility outright, as all agree that Eusebius relied on Hegesippus much more than he was willing to concede. The fact that Origen's two testimonies are continuous, coming one after the other, may serve as indirect proof that both were borrowed from the same source and may conceivably have appeared in this order in Hegesippus.

The speculative suggestion that Origen on James comes not from Josephus but Hegesippus is used to support the even more speculative suggestion that Origen on John the Baptist comes from Hegesippus. I feel this is methodologically unsound.

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

andrewcriddle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:08 am
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:25 am And now that you consider it? I think that the conclusion would be too much obvious, as specified in my post above.

The speculative suggestion that Origen on James comes not from Josephus but Hegesippus is used to support the even more speculative suggestion that Origen on John the Baptist comes from Hegesippus. I feel this is methodologically unsound.

Andrew Criddle
insofar you recognize as 'speculative' the possibility of a confusion between Josephus and Hegesippus by Origen about James (and the causal link 'death of James ---> fall of Jerusalem'), then yes, I recognize that your conclusion from that specific premise is intellectually honest.

Hence I can refine my point: if you concede that a confusion is happened about James, then accordingly you have to concede that only a row after the same confusion is in action about John the Baptist.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Giuseppe wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:24 am

Andrew Criddle
insofar you recognize as 'speculative' the possibility of a confusion between Josephus and Hegesippus by Origen about James (and the causal link 'death of James ---> fall of Jerusalem'), then yes, I recognize that your conclusion from that specific premise is intellectually honest.

Hence I can refine my point: if you concede that a confusion is happened about James, then accordingly you have to concede that only a row after the same confusion is in action about John the Baptist.
No you don't.

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

andrewcriddle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:29 am
Giuseppe wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:24 am

Andrew Criddle

No you don't.
In yellow I have put the words of Origen while Origen is victim of the confusion between Josephus and Hegesippus about James:
I would like to say to Celsus, who represents the Jew as accepting somehow John as a Baptist, who baptized Jesus, that the existence of John the Baptist, baptizing for the remission of sins, is related by one who lived no great length of time after John and Jesus. For in the 18th book of his Antiquities of the Jews, Josephus bears witness to John as having been a Baptist, and as promising purification to those who underwent the rite. Now this writer, although not believing in Jesus as the Christ, in seeking after the cause of the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, whereas he ought to have said that the conspiracy against Jesus was the cause of these calamities befalling the people, since they put to death Christ, who was a prophet, says nevertheless — being, although against his will, not far from the truth— that these disasters happened to the Jews as a punishment for the death of James the Just, who was a brother of Jesus (called Christ), — the Jews having put him to death, although he was a man most distinguished for his justice. Paul, a genuine disciple of Jesus, says that he regarded this James as a brother of the Lord, not so much on account of their relationship by blood, or of their being brought up together, as because of his virtue and doctrine. If, then, he says that it was on account of James that the desolation of Jerusalem was made to overtake the Jews, how should it not be more in accordance with reason to say that it happened on account (of the death) of Jesus Christ, of whose divinity so many Churches are witnesses, composed of those who have been convened from a flood of sins, and who have joined themselves to the Creator, and who refer all their actions to His good pleasure.

It seems improbable that Origen had changed book (from the book of Josephus to the book of Hegesippus) on his desk within not even the writing of a row. Hence the confusion is probably incumbent on the entire passage.