Fernando Bermejo-Rubio

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Fernando Bermejo-Rubio

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:56 am Interesting to you, ok, but I think it remains true that folks back then mostly didn't know these 100-year markers.

Folks back then mostly didn't know..... . Care to ask an Irishman about Oliver Cromwell?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwel ... of_Ireland

Not all folks back then we're ignoramuses... Philo and Josephus......

For evidence that even Josephus got some of his year counts wrong, e.g.:
Josephus and the Reconstruction of the Judean Restoration
Lester L. Grabbe
Journal of Biblical Literature
Vol. 106, No. 2 (Jun., 1987), pp. 231-246
Did Josephus get stuff wrong.... By all means seek to correct any historical errors you find him guilty of.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Lester Grabbe showed some dating stuff Josephus got wrong; I don't wish to retype; read if interested.

Oliver Cromwell used a calendar much the same as our calendar, which makes it easier to tell 100-year differences.

People 2000 or so years ago did not have our calendar, but several different calendars.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 am Lester Grabbe showed some dating stuff Josephus got wrong; I don't wish to retype; read if interested.

Oliver Cromwell used a calendar much the same as our calendar, which makes it easier to tell 100-year differences.

People 2000 or so years ago did not have our calendar, but several different calendars.
If your after exact dating, year, month and day, then I think you will be disappointed. I'm content with around about dates. 37 ce is approximately 100 years from 63 bc. Two dates of interest to Roman history. The death of Tiberius also being of interest to the gospel writers.... as they placed their Jesus crucifixion story during the time of Tiberius..... . who died in 37 ce.... 100 years from 63 bc.
StephenGoranson

I am not quibbling about exact days.
I am, though, saying that folks back then had several different calendars, such as from the founding of Rome, and the Olympiads, and year X of king Y, or king Z; or Egyptian dynasty; Jewish versions, plural, Qumran Yom Kippur different from Sadducee Yom Kippur; different moon siting authorities, intercalation or not options; Persian calendar, etc. etc. and, that this fact makes later-claimed centennial years as a method of history and literature causation proposing rather doubtful, questionable.
Or, do you have ancient centennial mentions--mentions by relevant ancients--that I should reconsider?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:53 am I am not quibbling about exact days.
I am, though, saying that folks back then had several different calendars, such as from the founding of Rome, and the Olympiads, and year X of king Y, or king Z; or Egyptian dynasty; Jewish versions, plural, Qumran Yom Kippur different from Sadducee Yom Kippur; different moon siting authorities, intercalation or not options; Persian calendar, etc. etc. and, that this fact makes later-claimed centennial years as a method of history and literature causation proposing rather doubtful, questionable.
Or, do you have ancient centennial mentions--mentions by relevant ancients--that I should reconsider?
Stephen..... I've said my piece on dating. I've nothing else to add. I'm not interested in nit picking all the calendar 'trees'..... It's the 'forest' that interests me. One can spend too much time on dissecting the 'trees' that the 'forest' never comes into view.
StephenGoranson

To try to be clear, centennial observances are mostly a modern thing, aided by our Julian-Gregorian calendar.
They may be celebrations, say for a birthday, or times of mourning, such as for the 9/11 attacks.
But, ancient or modern, they aren't usually the cause of something new. imo.
If so, not a cause for writing NT.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:37 am To try to be clear, centennial observances are mostly a modern thing, aided by our Julian-Gregorian calendar.
They may be celebrations, say for a birthday, or times of mourning, such as for the 9/11 attacks.
But, ancient or modern, they aren't usually the cause of something new. imo.
If so, not a cause for writing NT.
If..... Jesus was not a historical person.... Then what?

Big little word....but who knows, it could change our perception of the gospel story.
StephenGoranson

Given that you, maryhelena, have presented no ancient evidence that your retrojected modern-view 100 year measurements are relevant, the question of Jesus historicity is decided on other grounds.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

StephenGoranson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:50 pm Given that you, maryhelena, have presented no ancient evidence that your retrojected modern-view 100 year measurements are relevant, the question of Jesus historicity is decided on other grounds.
Oh dear...
Stephen, those who support a historical Jesus have no facts, no historical evidence to support their assertion

Historical facts:

1) 63 bc. The Roman, Pompey, entered the Jerusalen temple. Judaea became subject to Rome.
2) 37 ce. Roman Emperor Tiberius died.
3) There is around 100 years between these two historical events.

The gospel writers placed their Jesus story in the time of Pilate. Pilate being governor of Judaea during the time of Tiberius.
The gospel crucifixion story canot go beyond 37 ce.

Why did the gospel writers confine their Jesus crucifixion story to the time of Tiberius ? A Jesus historicist would simply answer that was because Jesus lived under Tiberius. But that is an assertion. An ahistoricist, someone who rejects the notion of a historical Jesus, would answer the question with an argument based on history.

37 ce is 100 year from 63 bc. Indicating that the gospel writers were not only interested in the death of Tiberius but also interested in Hasmonean Jewish history.

The gospel writers could have placed their Jesus story, a story about a literary Jesus figure, in any time slot. That they chose the time of Tiberius, a time ending in 37 ce, indicates that this time slot had, for them, historical relevance. That relevance being the 100 year connection to 63 bc. That relevance being Hasmonean history.

Rejection of the historical Jesus assumption throws open the door to history. History that can throw light upon the origins of what became early christianity. Stay with the historical Jesus assumption and one will live in history's shadow not it's reality.
StephenGoranson

You're stuck with your 100 year fixation--unlike gospel writers, and pretty much everyone else.