Clement and the Alexandrians Greatest Chrest Hits

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
davidmartin

Clement and the Alexandrians Greatest Chrest Hits

Post by davidmartin »

Just thought this he should have his own thread
Taken from various of his books
He seems to have thought of the good meaning of Chrest was applicable from his liberal application of it
For Ref. I do not know the Greek behind these quotes (or even if they are in Greek in the MS we have)

Strom book 2:
Now those who have believed in Christ both are and are called Chrestoi (good), as those who are cared for by the true king are kingly. For as the wise are wise by their wisdom, and those observant of law are so by the law; so also those who belong to Christ the King are kings, and those that are Christ's Christians.
Strom book 6 (i think):
For it is not that we may seem good that we believe in Christ, as it is not alone for the purpose of being seen, while in the sun, that we pass into the sun. But in the one case for the purpose of being warmed; and in the other, we are compelled to be Christians in order to be excellent and good

All the faithful, then, are good and godlike, and worthy of the name by which they are encircled as with a diadem
Forgot which book:
But are you so devoid of fear, or rather of faith, as not to believe the Lord Himself, or Paul, who in Christ's stead thus entreats: Taste and see that Christ is God? Faith will lead you in; experience will teach you; Scripture will train you, for it says, Come hither, O children; listen to me, and I will teach you the fear of the Lord . Then, as to those who already believe, it briefly adds, What man is he that desires life, that loves to see good days? It is we, we shall say — we who are the devotees of good, we who eagerly desire good things. Hear, then, you who are far off, hear you who are near: the word has not been hidden from any; light is common, it shines on all men. No one is a Cimmerian in respect to the word. Let us haste to salvation, to regeneration; let us who are many haste that we may be brought together into one love, according to the union of the essential unity; and let us, by being made good, conformably follow after union, seeking after the good Monad.
The Exortation ends thus:
It is time, then, for us to say that the pious Christian alone is rich and wise, and of noble birth, and thus call and believe him to be God's image, and also His likeness, having become righteous and holy and wise by Jesus Christ, and so far already like God. Accordingly this grace is indicated by the prophet, when he says, I said that you are gods, and all sons of the Highest. For us, yea us, He has adopted, and wishes to be called the Father of us alone, not of the unbelieving. Such is then our position who are the attendants of Christ.
As are men's wishes, so are their words;
As are their words, so are their deeds;
And as their works, such is their life.
Good is the whole life of those who have known Christ
some more this time from the Instructor
And He alone, as is befitting, supplies us children with the milk of love, and those only are truly blessed who suck this breast. Wherefore also Peter says: Laying therefore aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisy, and envy, and evil speaking, as new-born babes, desire the milk of the word, that you may grow by it to salvation; if you have tasted that the Lord is Christ.
Behold, therefore, says Paul, the goodness and severity of God: on them that fell, severity; but upon you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness, Romans 11:22 that is, in faith in Christ.
These words contain a description of the conduct of Christians, a notable exhortation to the blessed life, which is the reward of a life of goodness — everlasting life.
For the straight and natural way which is indicated by the Iota of the name of Jesus is His goodness
But he who loves anything wishes to do it good. And that which does good must be every way better than that which does not good. But nothing is better than the Good. The Good, then, does good. And God is admitted to be good. God therefore does good. And the Good, in virtue of its being good, does nothing else than do good. Consequently God does all good. And He does no good to man without caring for him, and He does not care for him without taking care of him. For that which does good purposely, is better than what does not good purposely. But nothing is better than God. And to do good purposely, is nothing else than to take care of man. God therefore cares for man, and takes care of him. And He shows this practically, in instructing him by the Word, who is the true coadjutor of God's love to man. But the good is not said to be good, on account of its being possessed of virtue; as also righteousness is not said to be good on account of its possessing virtue— for it is itself virtue— but on account of its being in itself and by itself good.
In another way the useful is called good, not on account of its pleasing, but of its doing good
PS His note on the Iota, i think he said elsewhere it stood for something as well, it is a meditation on the shape not some grammatical derivation I mean