The Early Christian Depiction of Jesus as a.God

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Blood

Re: The Early Christian Depiction of Jesus as a.God

Post by Blood »

Sold.

"One of the major problems Litwa points out is that within the current climate of Biblical scholarship is that any sort of comparisons made between Jesus and other Mediterranean mythology, legends, and stories is almost certainly accused of presenting “parallelomania.” "

Academics outside of Biblical Studies/SBL, especially those with a PhD in Ancient History, writing about the Bible and Biblical figures is hopefully a growing trend.
After all, according to the SBL crowd, all of this is historical, so why shouldn't it be studied by Ancient Historians?
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

The earliest Jesus was declared a God in soon before 54 AD (my dating for "Hebrews"):
1:8-10
"but of the Son he [God] says,
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
The scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your Kingdom.
You have loved righteousness, and hated iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your fellows."
And,
"You, Lord, in the beginning, laid the foundation of the earth.
The heavens are the works of your hands
."

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
toejam

Post by toejam »

Yep. Definitely on my 'to read' list. I also like Gullotta's blog. Would be good for him to tackle some more controversial stuff as he seems to be playing it pretty safe so far.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

To give Daniel credit, he does hang out and interact with us over at Dr. Price's Bible Geek fb page.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Clive

Post by Clive »

Two mosaics inside the church — one covered with fish, an ancient Christian symbol that predated the widespread use of the cross symbol — tell the story of a Roman officer and a woman named Aketous who donated money to build the church in the memory “of the god, Jesus Christ.”
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9950210/ns/te ... Il7F4sUcYU

Maybe Jesus was always a god?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Clive wrote:
Two mosaics inside the church — one covered with fish, an ancient Christian symbol that predated the widespread use of the cross symbol — tell the story of a Roman officer and a woman named Aketous who donated money to build the church in the memory “of the god, Jesus Christ.”
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9950210/ns/te ... Il7F4sUcYU

Maybe Jesus was always a god?

“This was a time of persecution and in this way it is quite surprising that there would be such a blatant expression of Christ in a mosaic, but it may be the very reason why the church was destroyed,” Pfann said.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

-Giuseppe
Clive

Post by Clive »

That Pfann has said a sentence that is impressive for its use of assumption, assertion and speculation! Why not read the inscription as direct evidence of an unnamed saving anointing god?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Isn't it in nomina sacra?

-Giuseppe
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote:The earliest Jesus was declared a God in soon before 54 AD

Cordially, Bernard
Maybe by some.

I see grand diversity in what different people believed.

Litwa would make a better point if he explained better in context, it was part of wide varied early beliefs that took hundreds o years to funnel into orthodoxy which included much of what he posits.