Basic reason why the name of Pilate was absent in the Earliest Passion Story extrapolated from Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Basic reason why the name of Pilate was absent in the Earliest Passion Story extrapolated from Mark

Post by Giuseppe »

DrSarah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:11 am I don’t even know where to start with this. How would inventing a trial and sentence that didn’t happen have anything to do with proving that Jesus was the Messiah or the son of YHWH?
The two things have to be separated. The Roman trial was the "technical" translation of the celestial event (the earthly archontes, i.e. the Romans, replacing the celestial original archontes of this age). Hence a technical expedient, not the "goal".

The goal, i.e. the main reason for the invention of an earthly life of Jesus on the earth, is revealed by John 20:31:

But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Evidently, testimonia had to be invented to prove that Jesus was the Christ (these testimonia being the Gospels). Why?

I can only think that the reason was polemical: Christians had to be reassured definitely and decisively about the fact that Jesus was the Christ, against deniers who claimed the total estrangement of Jesus from the world of the creator god, and against Jews who denied the Jewishness of Jesus.

If Jesus had continued to be a celestial aeon (as he is in Paul), then the direction of the Christianity would have been towards the "Gnostic" anti-demiurgist (anti-YHWH) sects and not towards the Jewish roots. By historicizing Jesus, the first evangelist could point out that YHWH was the supreme god. A Jesus-aeon was a potential threat for the celestial supremacy of YHWH (and the historicist Marcion is evidence that even an earthly but docetic Jesus could still continue to threat the YHWH's supremacy).
DrSarah

Re: Basic reason why the name of Pilate was absent in the Earliest Passion Story extrapolated from Mark

Post by DrSarah »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:15 am
DrSarah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:11 am I don’t even know where to start with this. How would inventing a trial and sentence that didn’t happen have anything to do with proving that Jesus was the Messiah or the son of YHWH?
The two things have to be separated. The Roman trial was the "technical" translation of the celestial event (the earthly archontes, i.e. the Romans, replacing the celestial original archontes of this age). Hence a technical expedient, not the "goal".

The goal, i.e. the main reason for the invention of an earthly life of Jesus on the earth, is revealed by John 20:31:

But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Evidently, testimonia had to be invented to prove that Jesus was the Christ (these testimonia being the Gospels). Why?
Sorry, I meant my question in a slightly different sense: Why would inventing a trial before the Romans and a crucifixion make people believe that Jesus was the Messiah?

Jews didn’t want to believe in a Messiah who’d died a humiliating death, and crucifixion wouldn’t have fitted well with their existing concepts and images of sacrifice. Romans, and other Hellenised members of the ancient world, had very strong beliefs in the importance of law and order, and would be predisposed to reject someone who’d been executed as a criminal. While the early Jesus-followers clearly did in the end manage to argue enough people round to accepting the crucifixion that Christianity survived and eventually flourished, it was very much an ‘in spite of’ rather than ‘because of’.

And so it’s very hard to see why someone starting from a perspective of deliberately trying to think up ways to make this new religion palatable to others would make up a story of a trial before Roman authorities culminating in a crucifixion. That would be the exact opposite of palatable.

This is one of many things that is explained much more easily if it did come from a true story. If the starting point for the stories was an actual Yeshua who was actually crucified by the Romans, then that neatly explains why later followers passed on that he’d been crucified by the Romans. If you want to hypothesise that this was a deliberate invention, then that hypothesis requires a good and plausible motive as to why someone would invent a very off-putting story. (Not why they'd invent a story, but why they'd invent one that was so off-putting.)
Giuseppe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:15 am I can only think that the reason was polemical: Christians had to be reassured definitely and decisively about the fact that Jesus was the Christ, against deniers who claimed the total estrangement of Jesus from the world of the creator god, and against Jews who denied the Jewishness of Jesus.

If Jesus had continued to be a celestial aeon (as he is in Paul),
Jesus isn’t a celestial aeon in Paul. See https://freethoughtblogs.com/geekyhuman ... -9-part-3/.
Giuseppe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:15 am then the direction of the Christianity would have been towards the "Gnostic" anti-demiurgist (anti-YHWH) sects and not towards the Jewish roots. By historicizing Jesus, the first evangelist could point out that YHWH was the supreme god. A Jesus-aeon was a potential threat for the celestial supremacy of YHWH (and the historicist Marcion is evidence that even an earthly but docetic Jesus could still continue to threat the YHWH's supremacy).
Giuseppe, I’m trying to figure out what you think the earliest members of this new organisation actually believed. From what I can make out, you think they believed that Jesus was some kind of heavenly being, but despite this was still Jewish and still the Messiah. You also think they believed they had to invent stories about Jesus living an earthly life because they thought they wouldn’t gain followers otherwise. Have I got that straight so far? Can you please explain what led you to those conclusions? Your explanations don’t really make a lot of sense, so I want to check whether I’m at least interpreting your premises accurately.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

DrSarah wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:34 am Sorry, I meant my question in a slightly different sense: Why would inventing a trial before the Romans and a crucifixion make people believe that Jesus was the Messiah?

Jews didn’t want to believe in a Messiah who’d died a humiliating death, and crucifixion wouldn’t have fitted well with their existing concepts and images of sacrifice. Romans, and other Hellenised members of the ancient world, had very strong beliefs in the importance of law and order, and would be predisposed to reject someone who’d been executed as a criminal. While the early Jesus-followers clearly did in the end manage to argue enough people round to accepting the crucifixion that Christianity survived and eventually flourished, it was very much an ‘in spite of’ rather than ‘because of’.
your argument is the famous argument that the death by crucifixion is so embarrassing that it has to be historical. An easy rebuttal here would be the mention of a long list of scholars arguing for the existence of the pre-Christian belief of a Messiah suffering.

What you say becomes virtually true after the 70 CE, when the view of the victorious Messiah becomes really the mainstream view. Hence only after the 70 the Christians found bluntly themselves, ex abrupto, in strong need of justifying their belief in a suffering Messiah.

In this sense it becomes true that an apology was necessary: how Jesus could be the victorious Messiah despite of the his suffering. Only after the 70.

DrSarah wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:34 am Giuseppe, I’m trying to figure out what you think the earliest members of this new organisation actually believed. From what I can make out, you think they believed that Jesus was some kind of heavenly being, but despite this was still Jewish and still the Messiah. You also think they believed they had to invent stories about Jesus living an earthly life because they thought they wouldn’t gain followers otherwise. Have I got that straight so far? Can you please explain what led you to those conclusions? Your explanations don’t really make a lot of sense, so I want to check whether I’m at least interpreting your premises accurately.
before the 70, Jesus was a Jewish deity considered crucified in heaven. The best Pauline evidence of the heavenly location of the crucifixion is the following:

Perhaps Doherty's strongest point is Paul's assertion (1 Cor. 2:8) that Jesus was crucified by supernatural forces (the archontes). I take this to mean that they prompted the action of human agents: but I must admit that the text ascribes the deed to the archontes themselves.

(my bold)
https://infidels.org/library/modern/g_a ... liest.html

In order to overcome that Mythicist evidence, the historicists need really to give better evidence of the contrary but they have not given it, ceteris paribus.

After the 70, two threats:
  • The anti-demiurgist trend of gentile origins, a trend that wanted to de-ethnicize radically Jesus from the his Jewish soil. (evidence: Marcion of Sinope was a gentile, not a Jew);
  • The mainstream view in growing rabbinical Judaism about the Messiah being only victorious and never suffering. Evidence: Bar-Kokhba is immediately deprived of the title of Messiah, after the defeat.
The only way to resist against these two threats was the insistence that Jesus was really a Jew (pace Marcion) and really the Messiah (pace the only-now-mainstream view about the Messiah).

The earliest canonical gospel, Mark, is precisely devoted to insist on these two frontlines.
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

The OP of this thread uses a really cool rhetorical device. I enjoyed reading all the peeling backs very much, and I would go so far as to say that I'm convinced of the larger point being made...

I gotta wonder though, was it really created by accretion? How many editions did Mark have to go through to accumulate all of these layers? Over how many years? Why do all the versions we have of this story pretty much contain all of these parts?

If virtually everything is a "late midrashical addition based on (some reference from the Septuagint)" maybe the whole thing is just a late gospel allegorized from the Septuagint. (a la RG Price).

If you look at all of these midrashi, you see they all have the same intent: to connect the story back to OT/old book prophecies of bad things happening to bad jews, because a just God makes bad things happen to bad people. I.e. God is good, even though he blasted the jews, because they had it coming. It's a theodicy. A *really dark* theodicy. But it's a theodicy, to justify the ways of God to men.

Since they all were created by the same mechanism, and all for the same purpose, to convey the same message---why not just conclude the whole thing was written at one time, by one author? The larger point, that its pure fiction, with every plot-point being crafted deliberately to make a point, and not to record anything historical, still stands. It may be even more plausible; one person doing this seems more likely than generations of people making exactly the same kind of edits to an evolving document.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

RandyHelzerman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:25 pm why not just conclude the whole thing was written at one time, by one author?
The "giant midrash" could be added by only an editor, while the original author had only the short survived (not-historical) nucleus about Jesus being given to an anonymous Roman Governor who ordered the his crucifixion. Period.

The rest has been added, included the name of Pilate, since the irony of
  • Pilate who wants to release Jesus
  • Pilate who releases Barabbas
  • Pilate who releases the corpse of Jesus to Joseph of Arimathea
...is all abundantly explained by PLT (Semitic root for all the verbs as 'release'/'released').

In short, between Paul (celestial crucifixion or crucifixion in a remote past) and *Ev (giant midrash)
I have detected an intermediate Passion story as epilogue of the original (lost) first gospel:

So they bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to the governor.

He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

24 And they crucified him.

Jesus breathed his last.

The Governor is assumed to be a Roman governor, but the name was absent.