Judea to Galilee and back or just Galilee to Judea?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Judea to Galilee and back or just Galilee to Judea?

Post by rgprice »

A key different between the reconstructions of Marcion's Gospel and the canonical Gospels is that in the reconstructions of Marcion, the account of Jesus begins in Capernaum of Galilee, where as in all of the canonical Gospel the story of Jesus begins in Judea.

In the Synoptic Gospels we begin with John in the "wilderness of Judea". Jesus comes from Galilee to John in Judea, gets baptized, is "tested by Satan", and then returns back to Galilee. There is an extensive ministry in Galilee, then Jesus returns to Jerusalem in Judea. So the story begins briefly in Judea, then quickly goes to Galilee where the first half of the story is told, then we go to Judea for the second half of the story. So, not counting the birth narratives we have Judea > Galilee > Judea.

In the Gospel of John we begin with John in the "wilderness of Judea". Jesus comes to John, but it is not said where he came from. Peter is there with John when Jesus walks by, but John doesn't baptize him. Then Jesus proposes that they go to Galilee. They go to Cana in Galilee, then they return back to Jerusalem in Judea, then they go back to Galilee, and then back to Jerusalem, then back to Galilee again, then back to Jerusalem. I'm not entirely sure of how many times he goes back and fourth actually. But its something like Judea > Galilee > Judea > Galilee > Judea > Galilee > Judea.

But in the reconstructions of Marcion we have something much simpler, simply that Jesus "comes down" into Galilee where his ministry begins and then he travels to Jerusalem in Judea. So its simply Galilee > Judea.

So in this respect, the Marcionite reconstructions seem the most coherent and plausible. Here the story is quite simple and straight forward. The story begins in Capernaum of Galilee where Jesus begins his ministry, then he travels to Jerusalem where he confronts the priesthood and completes his mission.

The beginning of the Synoptics with the brief appearance in Jerusalem, followed by a sudden shift back to Galilee, is a bit jarring. John of course just doesn't even make sense from this perspective, with Jesus just zooming back and fourth constantly.
Last edited by rgprice on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Judea to Galilee and back or just Galilee to Judea?

Post by Peter Kirby »

This reminds me that I should continue working on my "contrarian synopsis" here (which may agree with your OP).
rgprice

Re: Judea to Galilee and back or just Galilee to Judea?

Post by rgprice »

In the Gospel of Mark especially, the location of the baptism in Judea is very tenuous.

John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 And all the country of Judea was going out to him, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins. 6 John was clothed with camel’s hair and wore a leather belt around his waist, and his diet was locusts and wild honey. 7 And he was preaching, and saying, “After me One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to stoop down and untie the thong of His sandals. 8 I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
14 Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the good news.”

Its just this very brief opening in which Jesus is in Judea, and if you aren't really paying attention you don't even realize that this significant change in location has taken place.

One problem is that the Jordan river extends from Galilee to Judea, so it is possible for Jesus to be baptized in the Jordan near Galilee. But this implies that he's near Judea. However its odd from a story telling perspective to have Jesus start in Judea briefly, then go to Galilee, then go on a journey to Judea. It's like if Frodo came from the Shire, then make a quick trip to Mordor, then went back to the Shire, then went on a journey to the heart of Mordor. Its just odd. Makes more sense that Jesus would begin in Galilee and then go on a journey to Judea.