Aristotle and Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Clive

Aristotle and Paul

Post by Clive »

Looking at this, I wonder if there are far more connections than realised!

http://vridar.info/xorigins/engped/engped1.htm

For example
◄ Romans 14:19 ►
Parallel Verses
New International Version
Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification
http://biblehub.com/romans/14-19.htm
(Book 1, I, I 1094a1-3) Nicomachean Ethics: All things aim at some good, which can be called eudaimonia, happiness. Details follow --
Aristotle’s analysis here was taken over entirely by the Stoics

This good/eudaimonia is something “perfect” or “final” (teleion) – the most perfect thing (teleiotaton). It is also something self-sufficient (autarkes) – this when isolated alone makes life desirable and lacking nothing. Thus happiness (eudaimonia) appears to be something perfect and self-sufficient, being the end (telos) of action.
Stoics too

Eudaimonia is thus closely tied to action, thus to practical deliberation which precedes action. It stands for the abstract state of a person’s whole life in which all the individual objectives that a person may have for his acts have been reached. (Thus it is not an object or state to be reached through action; nor is it a feeling or state of mind.) It is an abstract state that constitutes the overall and all-comprehending point (telos) of all a person’s acts and subsumes any particular ends of acts under itself.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
outhouse

Re: Aristotle and Paul

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:Looking at this, I wonder if there are far more connections than realised!
Yes

Take a class on it. It opened my eyes out of everything I have learned, and is applied to all of the NT.

They were artist in persuasion.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Like between Achilles and Jesus?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:Like between Achilles and Jesus?
No.

Take a class on rhetoric. Aristotle's teachings is how Paul learned the art form.

It is an art form. I think it should be a requirement to know this before even debating a single word of any part of the bible. Without it your blind.
Blood

Post by Blood »

There are many passages where Paul comes across as a fifth-rate Aristotle wanna-be.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Blood wrote:There are many passages where Paul comes across as a fifth-rate Aristotle wanna-be.

Helps us to see his community coming and going.

Also helps us to realize how much artistic freedom they had to create fiction and mythology to persuade those to follow their theology.