Were the Gnostics mythicists?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Were the Gnostics mythicists?

Post by Leucius Charinus »

In a recent thread referencing a debate between Trent Horn and Richard Carrier, the former asked the question, if Jesus was in fact non historical and a myth, then where did the mythicists (who believed in the historical reality of a Jesus Myth) go?

SEE: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1173

Horns 3rd problem with Mythicism (18:00 / 2:00:00) runs as follows ...
  • SLIDE 3: Where did the mythicists go?

a) Gnostic heresy (CHECK)
    b) Judaizer heresy (CHECK)
    c) Mythicist Heresy (33 CE) (WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE??)

If the mythic version of Jesus were true we would expect it
    to survive as a heresy just as the Gnostic and Judaizing
    heresies survived for centuries. But we have no documents
    affirming a mythic jesus, nor do any of the church fathers
    argue against this view. Rather than embrace the
    implausible mythicist view that these Christians simply
    vanished from the historical record, it make more sense to
    say there was no mythic heresy.
    (Trent Horn)

The question I would like to discuss is this. What evidence exists to suggests that the Gnostics themselves were not mythicists? In answering this question it should be AFAIK borne in mind that the primary documents for the Gnostics are the so-called Gnostic Gospels and Acts and in general the NT Apocryphal literature including most of the texts within the Nag Hammadi Codices. NOTE that for the moment, until this primary evidence is reviewed I would like to totally ignore the secondary evidence of the "Church Fathers".

Were the Gnostics the mythicists in antiquity? For example does the gnostic literature (as defined briefly above) suggest more of a "Mythical Jesus" or more of an "Historical Jesus". If there are sufficient references in the Gnostic literature to a mythical conception of Jesus (as opposed to an historical conception) at what stage would it make sense to think of the Gnostic authors of antiquity as the very first mythicists?

The Docetic heretics, most of whom appear to have been gnostic also, represent a subset of these "possibly mythicists". Their doctrine was that Jesus only "seemed to exist". They are often linked to the people described in the letters of John "who refused to confess that Jesus had appeared in the flesh". Isn't this just a form of mythicism in that it represents a belief that is closer to the mythicist perspective than it is to the historicists perspective? A modern day docetist might describe the appearance of Jesus not as a human being but as a hologram.

So were the Gnostics the mythicists in antiquity? We have many of their texts before us.
To what extent (if any) do the Gnostic texts reveal a mythical Jesus as distinct from an historical Jesus?

Thanks for any opinions.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
GakuseiDon

Re: Were the Gnostics mythicists?

Post by GakuseiDon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:So were the Gnostics the mythicists in antiquity? We have many of their texts before us.
To what extent (if any) do the Gnostic texts reveal a mythical Jesus as distinct from an historical Jesus?

Thanks for any opinions.
Is there any textual evidence that the Gnostics believed that Jesus never came to earth? As far as I know, the Gnostics believed that Jesus came to earth, performed miracles, taught people, etc. There were also Docetists who didn't think he came in the flesh. Some believed that Jesus was not crucified -- someone else was crucified in his place. All this seems quite different to proposed mythicist theories, which has a Jesus in the flesh (though not on earth) who was crucified by demons.

So I'd say "No, the Gnostics and Docetists were not the mythicists in antiquity." Is there any evidence that early Christians actually believed in a mythical rather than a historical Jesus who interacted with people on earth before crucifixion?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

GakuseiDon wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:So were the Gnostics the mythicists in antiquity? We have many of their texts before us.

Thanks for any opinions.
Is there any textual evidence that the Gnostics believed that Jesus never came to earth? As far as I know, the Gnostics believed that Jesus came to earth, performed miracles, taught people, etc. He just didn't come in the flesh. Some Gnostics believed that Jesus was not crucified -- someone else was crucified in his place.
Thanks GakuseiDon.

AFAIK the Jesus who appears in all the gnostic gospels and acts is invariably a "Post Resurrection" Jesus.

What are the implications of this (if the claim is in fact true)?

Is there any evidence that early Christians actually believed in a mythical rather than a historical Jesus who interacted with people on earth before crucifixion?
IMO Jesus is always cast in "Post Resurrection" contexts within the Gnostic literature, the authors of this literature didn't portray Jesus as a normal human being.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote:

Thanks for any opinions.
Is there any textual evidence that the Gnostics believed that Jesus never came to earth? As far as I know, the Gnostics believed that Jesus came to earth, performed miracles, taught people, etc. He just didn't come in the flesh. Some Gnostics believed that Jesus was not crucified -- someone else was crucified in his place.
Thanks GakuseiDon.

AFAIK the Jesus who appears in all the gnostic gospels and acts is invariably a "Post Resurrection" Jesus.

What are the implications of this (if the claim is in fact true)?
It would be fascinating. So in all gnostic gospels and acts, Jesus died and only after he is resurrected does he appear on earth? What is the earliest example of this that you have in mind?
Last edited by GakuseiDon on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
toejam

Post by toejam »

Leucius Charinus wrote:AFAIK the Jesus who appears in all the gnostic gospels and acts is invariably a "Post Resurrection" Jesus.
Gospel of Thomas?

Saying 79
A woman in the crowd said to him, "Lucky are the womb that bore you and the breasts that fed you."

Post-resurrection? And the saying implies Jesus' physical birth.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

toejam wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:AFAIK the Jesus who appears in all the gnostic gospels and acts is invariably a "Post Resurrection" Jesus.
Gospel of Thomas?

Saying 79
A woman in the crowd said to him, "Lucky are the womb that bore you and the breasts that fed you."

Post-resurrection? And the saying implies Jesus' physical birth.
Yes, Leucius Charinus's claim of "all" is dead in the water. But I'd be interested in any examples he can find that provides positive support for his claim, and the date of the earliest one that fulfills his criterion. That might be positive evidence for mythicism.
toejam

Post by toejam »

I thought Horn's point was valid. We don't have direct evidence of any early Christian group claiming that Jesus was exclusively celestial. The closest we get are those saying he was here, only in some apparition form. Instead, Carrier wants us to infer that such a group existed.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

toejam wrote:I thought Horn's point was valid. We don't have direct evidence of any early Christian group claiming that Jesus was exclusively celestial. The closest we get are those saying he was here, only in some apparition form. Instead, Carrier wants us to infer that such a group existed.
Carrier covers this in OHJ from pages 349 to 356. I've reproduced some points raised by Carrier in that section below, though not all points. Starting on page 350:
  • And yet we do have hints that some sectarian Christians were indeed gainsaying the new historicist reliance on the exoteric myths as actual his­tories. A hint of the existence of doubters of Jesus' historicity appears in the character of the Jewish opponent created by Justin Martyr in his fictional Dialogue with Trypho in the mid-second century:
    • But the Christ, if he has indeed been born, and exists anywhere, is unknown, and doesn't even yet know himself, and has no power until Elijah comes to anoint him, and make him appear to all. But you, on the basis of groundless hearsay, invent a Christ for yourselves, and for his sake you are now irresponsibly doomed. 114
    This could simply reflect a natural second-century Jewish criticism, not too unlike that found in the pagan critic Celsus of the same period, who argued (in his now-lost anti-Christian treatise that Origen critiques in Against Celsus) that the Gospels were the only evidence of historicity the Chris­tians had, and yet were at best groundless hearsay. Celsus argues from the unproven assumption that they embellish a real story, while Justin's Trypho takes it one step further and suggests they might have been wholly fabri­cated.
I don't see the hint there personally, and it seems to be a stretch, which Carrier seems to acknowledge.

Also, on page 351:
  • This [2 Peter] is a second-century forgery, passed off as written by the apostle Peter, an example of how readily Christians fabri­cated not only their own history but the documents attesting it (see, again, Element 44). 116 There we see an attack upon certain fellow Christians who were actually teaching that the story of Jesus was (as Justin also denies) a 'cleverly devised myth' [sesophismenois mythois] and who were thereby forged creating a 'destructive heresy'. Similar hints can be found in other Epistles (e.g. I Tim. 1 .3-4; 4.6-7; 2 Tim. 4.3-4; 1 Jn 1.1-3; 4.1-3; 2 Jn 7-1 1 ; etc.). In 2 Peter we also see a related anxiety over the strange celestial Jesus found in Paul's letters-to the extent that now only the properly 'informed' were authorized to interpret them (2 Pet. 3 15-17).

Obviously the forgers of 2 Peter would have to represent these Chris­tians as introducing a novel heresy. But in reality, these may have been Christians still connected to the original mysteries who knew the exoteric myths were only cleverly constructed allegories. The fact that this is all we ever hear of them demonstrates that we cannot expect to have heard more-for here, clearly, 2 Peter is attacking some Christian heresy we know nothing else about and have no documents from. Instead, we get a forged 'eyewitness testimony' cleverly designed to refute the claim that the Gospel was a myth-refuting it, that is, with a fabricated historical report. This letter is therefore a decisive proof-of-concept for the entire transition from the original Christian mysteries to a historicizing sect fabricating its own historical testimonies to 'prove' its claims.
2 Peter 1:

"[16] For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
[17] For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
[18] And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount."

Is 2 Peter attacking "some Christian heresy we know nothing about"? He seems to be attacking Christians who denied that Christ was more than a man. Why isn't this "proof-of-concept" of a transition from an early Chrisitianity where Jesus was considered just a man (as per Arnal's view of Q and Justin Martyr's comment that he knew such Christians) to a proto-orthodox one? It doesn't seem prima facie to be attacking Christians who thought Jesus didn't die in outer space.

Also, page 354:
  • The Ascension of Isaiah is another example of this: we can tell the origi­nal redaction had Jesus die in outer space (it therefore was composed by a Christian sect who clearly adopted what I am calling minimal mythicism), but later, some historicizing Christians inserted a section that had Jesus incongruously die on earth at the hands of Pilate in a summary of their own...
The original redaction does NOT have Jesus "die in outer space." Carrier is simply wrong here.

Also, page 353:
  • We have already seen Origen admitting that this tactic [creating a human tradition] had utility in mobilizing the obedience of the vast majority of 'simpletons' in the Christian movement who (he claimed) were not sophisticated enough to grasp allegory but needed to rest their faith on literal truths (see Element 14). So there evidently was 'gainsaying' after all. We just weren't allowed to hear much about it. Hence the objection that we would have more evidence of it does not have merit. Clearly the probability of that is too low to credit; it was all erased or destroyed or left to crumble into dust.
Part of the problem here is that Carrier doesn't really cover Second Century writings. If 2 Peter and Justin Martyr have 'hints' about the celestial Jesus view, then this would suggest that the celestial Jesus sect existed at least until 100-160 CE, and was important enough to address by the proto-orthodox in their epistles at that time.

Also, page 354:
  • ... In fact Jesus was said to have been famous all across not just Judea but the whole province of Syria (Mt. 4.24; 9.26, 31; Lk. 4.14). Yet we have no surviving record of anyone from those regions challenging this. Remarks like this create a logical conundrum for the historicist. For it is much eas­ier to invent a man than to invent a famous man, yet Jesus is depicted as incredibly famous in the Gospels. But if he were so famous, then the silence of other writers and historians about him, indeed the lack of any litera­ture about him being generated by any of the thousands of contemporaries impressed or intrigued by his fame (see the survey again in §2), is all but impossible. That is, extremely improbable. The consequent probability of this pervasive and thorough silence on the hypothesis that Jesus actually was that famous (much less that any of the incredibly famous events associ­ated with him in the Gospels actually occurred-and I gave only a select list of examples) is extremely small.

So if the historicist wishes to maintain Jesus was really that famous, then historicity is refuted by the complete silence of all other literate per­sons of that age and region and of all who wrote about that region or about any famous persons and events like those. The consequent probability of that evidence (of silence) is so small that it guarantees historicity will also have a very small posterior probabil ity, and must therefore be rejected as improbable. Just as for the darkening of the sun, as I have demonstrated before: we can be sure that never happened, because if it did, someone would have mentioned it (other than just the Synoptic Gospels).
[/list]
I suppose that the above is only a concern for those who want to claim the Gospel Jesus. Note that Carrier's argument above is not consistent with his 'minimal historical Jesus.'

I haven't reproduced all his arguments from that section, but the above provides some examples of how Carrier has addressed the topic of the 'missing celestial Jesus cult' writings.
Blood

Post by Blood »

Leucius Charinus wrote: AFAIK the Jesus who appears in all the gnostic gospels and acts is invariably a "Post Resurrection" Jesus.
No, Jesus appears on earth prior to the crucifixion in Gnosticism. The Christ "spirit" descends from the pleroma and enters the body of the earthling Jesus. He is not crucified, but rather witnesses the crucifixion scene as someone else is crucified in his place, unbeknownst to his persecutors, who are under the power of the archons.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Post by Blood »

toejam wrote:I thought Horn's point was valid. We don't have direct evidence of any early Christian group claiming that Jesus was exclusively celestial. The closest we get are those saying he was here, only in some apparition form. Instead, Carrier wants us to infer that such a group existed.
I think we could infer from Revelation that the author believed in a celestial Christ figure. Whether the author believed Christ had existed on earth for awhile as a human, or represented a group of believers, is impossible to say of course.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp