Was Paul the First to Assert that Jesus was Crucified?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Was Paul the First to Assert that Jesus was Crucified?

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:

Extant Writings seem to indicate that Paul was the first to write the assertian that Jesus was crucified. Was Paul also the first to assert that Jesus was crucified, without any qualifications?

The starting point to try and answer this question is the earliest extant direct claim that Jesus was Crucified. By "Direct" I mean that the author claims that Jesus was crucified and not just that someone else the author knew made the claim. Here is one of Paul's Direct claims:

http://www.errancywiki.com/index.php/1_Corinthians_2

2:1 And I, brethren, when I came unto you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.
2:2 For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
2:4 And my speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
2:5 that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
2:6 We speak wisdom, however, among them that are fullgrown: yet a wisdom not of this world, nor of the rulers of this world, who are coming to nought:
2:7 but we speak God`s wisdom in a mystery, [even] the [wisdom] that hath been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds unto our glory:
2:8 which none of the rulers of this world hath known: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory:
2:9 but as it is written, Things which eye saw not, and ear heard not, And [which] entered not into the heart of man, Whatsoever things God prepared for them that love him.
2:10 But unto us God revealed [them] through the Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
2:11 For who among men knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of the man, which is in him? even so the things of God none knoweth, save the Spirit of God.
2:12 But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God.
2:13 Which things also we speak, not in words which man`s wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual [words].
2:14 Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged.
2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, and he himself is judged of no man.
2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
JW:
Note especially:

"2:8 which none of the rulers of this world hath known: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory:"

Paul never gives any detail regarding specifically who these rulers were. Subsequent Christian writings vary as to who exactly did the supposed crucifying. All seem to agree though that it was some type of ruler(s), Roman, Israel, Priests, Pharisees, El-satira. Is the subsequent Christian assertian based mainly/exclusively on Paul's statement here in 1 Corinthians?

Also note that Revelation is smeared all over the above quote and there is no indication of any historical witness source for Paul's assertian. It's almost as if Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza created this religion:
  • George: Why don't we create a new religion.

Jerry: What would our evidence be?

George: (Having a Revelation). Nothing!

Jerry: How can you have a religion with no evidence?

George: We'll say you have to have Faith.

Jerry: And how would you know that?

George: Revelation!

Jerry: So how would you get it started?

George: With a Revelation! (George and Jerry point at each other in agreement). The first "Episode" will be a Revelation about Nothing!

Jerry: I think you've got Something.

Joseph

REVELATION, n.
A famous book in which St. John the Divine concealed all that he knew. The revealing is done by the commentators, who know nothing.
Stephan Huller

Re: Was Paul the First to Assert that Jesus was Crucified?

Post by Stephan Huller »

The debate in De Recta in Deum Fide between a Marcionite (Megethius) and a Catholic (Adamantius) hints at a similar doctrine albeit held in secret:

MEG. Did the Lord Himself write that He was crucified, and rose on the third day? Does He write in this way?
MEG. The Apostle Paul added that.
AD. Was Paul present at the crucifixion of Christ?
MEG. He himself plainly wrote the Gospel. 
AD. If now I should show that he was not present, but even persecuted the members of the Church after this, would you become a Christian?
MEG. But surely I am a Christian? 
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

JoeWallack wrote:Extant Writings seem to indicate that Paul was the first to write the assertian that Jesus was crucified. .
This is an assertion from severe ignorance and bias, combined with historical methods similar to how a YEC cherry picks science.

Paul also tells us others were out teaching and that there were other forms of the "good news"

He also tells us he was hunting the people in the movement down.

He also tells us he wrote from a community and even names the people that wrote with him.

Your biggest failure is how you ignore how fast and far the movement spread in 100 years, and the impossibility that one community could not spread it so fast and far. You leave a laughable trial of questions you don't even know how to answer.

Really, this is nothing but a pathetic attempt not followed by anyone with credibility that wreaks of conspiracy minded mentality and YEC methodology. :popcorn:

Have you ever thought about taking a class and understanding what knowledge your opponents possess before embarrassing yourself?
Last edited by outhouse on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

outhouse wrote:Paul also tells us others were out teaching and that there were other forms of the "good news"
Where does Paul tell us that that these other forms of good news taught Christ crucified?
outhouse wrote:He also tells us he was hunting the people in the movement down.

Where does Paul tell us that those he was hunting down taught Christ crucified?
outhouse wrote:He also tells us he wrote from a community and even names the people that wrote with him.
Where does Paul tell us people before him taught Christ crucified?
outhouse wrote:Your biggest failure is how you ignore how fast and far the movement spread in 100 years, and the impossibility that one community could not spread it so fast and far. You leave a laughable trial of questions you don't even know how to answer.

outhouse wrote:Really, this is nothing bit a pathetic attempt not followed by anyone with credibility that wreaks of conspiracy minded mentality and YEC methodology. :popcorn:
outhouse wrote:Have you ever thought about taking a class and understanding what knowledge your opponents possess before embarrassing yourself?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

The evidence that Paul tells us that people before him taught Christ crucified has been revealed through Cultural Anthropology

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

If there was a Johanine school in opposition to Paul it could be telling that there is no crucifixion in the Apocalypse.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

neilgodfrey wrote:Where does Paul tell us that that these other forms of good news taught Christ crucified?
Where there other forms of "good news" that had to do with this movement? By Pauls communities personal accounts, there were other teachers of "THIS" movement.

By your methodology, Paul didn't tell us he was not worshipping Bulls so maybe he was teaching a version of Mythra's :popcorn:
cienfuegos

Post by cienfuegos »

Leucius Charinus wrote:The evidence that Paul tells us that people before him taught Christ crucified has been revealed through Cultural Anthropology

LC
Mere mortals, ummm, I mean non-bible scholars, are unable to employ the complicated methods of cultural triangulation necessary to perceive the obvious evidentiary traces left by Jesus of Nazareth, son of Mary.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

outhouse wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:Where does Paul tell us that that these other forms of good news taught Christ crucified?
Where there other forms of "good news" that had to do with this movement? By Pauls communities personal accounts, there were other teachers of "THIS" movement.

By your methodology, Paul didn't tell us he was not worshipping Bulls so maybe he was teaching a version of Mythra's :popcorn:
So you have no evidence that Christ crucified was taught before Paul. (There were indeed other gospels being taught and not all were about the crucified Christ but you know that because you've told us how well read you are so we know you're just pretending to be ignorant now. Good game. Have fun.)
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

neilgodfrey wrote: So you have no evidence that Christ crucified was taught before Paul.
No I have evidence that you do not. I have evidence the movement was based on the Crucified perceived messiah. I have evidence that this movement existed before Paul.

You DO NOT have evidence, that Paul created the crucifixion.