Distinguishing some questions about the "Letter to Theodore"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Distinguishing some questions about the "Letter to Theodore"

Post by Peter Kirby »

I'm suggesting that "deflection" could characterize how we've gone a whole page without answering this:
Peter Kirby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:15 am The question becomes which arguments are persuasive that it was:

"a modern, later, anomalous imitation of c.18th-century handwriting"
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

He, the best expert, already gave them.
My restatement, in this case, like yours, is of less value.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Tselikas on a paleographer's ability to detect inauthentic handwriting:

"I dare not, I dare not - articulate word for consulting graphology. Or to determine authenticity, match a signature on a check. No. Because this is a purely professional matter, people have their business, it's over and done with." https://www.archaiologia.gr/blog/2014/0 ... %BB%CE%B1/
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

More:

Η γραφολογία ξεκινάει από αλλού. Είναι τώρα τρία χρόνια που έρχεται αυτή η ομάδα των γραφολόγων εδώ. Για ποιο λόγο ήρθε; Και πώς εξελίχθηκε η σχέση με το χώρο; Εσείς που ακούτε «γραφολόγος», για παράδειγμα, μπορεί να έχετε μια διαθήκη του παππού σας χειρόγραφη κι επειδή τώρα το μάτι μας δεν έχει συνηθίσει να βλέπει χειρόγραφη γραφή, έχει συνηθίσει στον τύπο, δεν μπορείτε να τη διαβάσετε. Πολύ ωραία. Και λέτε, «A, ποιος μπορεί να τη διαβάσει; Α, ένας γραφολόγος». Λογικό. Έλα όμως που οι γραφολόγοι δεν ασχολούνται μ’ αυτά. Οι γραφολόγοι βασικά ασχολούνται με τη διαπίστωση της γνησιότητος ή μη μιας υπογραφής, της ταυτοποίησης μιας υπογραφής ή όχι, και με ό,τι ακολουθεί όλη αυτή τη διαδικασία. Και επίσης ασχολούνται και με την αναλυτική λεγόμενη γραφολογία, τη συμβουλευτική γραφολογία, με τον ψυχισμό του ανθρώπου που γράφει με τον άλφα ή τον βήτα τρόπο. Αυτό το τελευταίο κομμάτι, αυτό το παρατηρούμε και εμείς εξετάζοντας τις γραφές στις διάφορες εποχές.

Graphology starts from somewhere else. It has been three years now that this group of graphologists has been coming here. Why did they come? And how did the relationship with the space evolve? You, who hear "graphologist," for example, may have a handwritten will of your grandfather, and because now our eye is not accustomed to seeing handwritten script, it has become accustomed to type, you cannot read it. Very well. And you say, "Who can read it? Oh, a graphologist." Logical. But the graphologists do not deal with that. Graphologists basically deal with determining the authenticity or not of a signature, identifying a signature or not, and with everything that follows in this process. And they also deal with analytical, so-called graphology, advisory graphology, with the psyche of the person who writes in an alpha or beta way. This last part, we also observe, examining the scripts in different eras.
StephenGoranson

His dating was from paleography!
Not from graphology!
Why, do you suppose, most game-changing conversations don't happen here?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Passage in greater context:

Εν τω μεταξύ, εγώ προσωπικά, τώρα σας λέω έτσι μια μικρολεπτομέρεια, διαπιστώνοντας το πρόβλημα ορολογίας της γραφής –ξέρετε δεν είναι απλό πράγμα, είναι πάρα πολύ σύνθετο–, όταν ήμουνα στο Παρίσι αγόρασα κάποια βιβλία γραφολογίας για να δω κυρίως πώς οι γραφολόγοι ονοματίζουν τις γραφές. Εμείς, ας πούμε, χρησιμοποιούμε, από τη μια μεριά, κάποιους όρους εντελώς συμβατικούς για να ονομάσουμε γραφές του 10ου αιώνα, του 13ου, του 15ου αιώνα, εντελώς συμβατικές, παραστατικές ονομασίες αλλά, ερχόμενοι στα νεότερα χρόνια, τι άλλη ορολογία μπορούσαμε να χρησιμοποιήσουμε; Ξέρω κι εγώ; Να είναι δεξιοκλινής η γραφή, αριστεροκλινής η γραφή, όρθια, ξαπλωμένη, ας πούμε τέτοιου είδους όρους, κι ήθελα να δω τι γίνεται ή και πώς περιγράφουν κάποιοι γραφολόγοι τα γράμματα. Και πραγματικά είχα αγοράσει κάποια βιβλία όταν ήμουν στη Γαλλία, γύρω στο ’77 –και δεν θέλει πολύ να περάσεις τον Ρουβίκωνα–, είχα πάρει ό,τι μου αρκούσε από εκεί, είχα καταλάβει τι κάνουν οι άνθρωποι, το είχα αφήσει όμως το θέμα. Ωραία, δεν θα έκανα εγώ τον γραφολόγο. Και συνέπεσε να έρθουν αυτοί οι άνθρωποι εδώ, να υπάρξει και μια σύμπνοια και μια αμοιβαία διάθεση ανταλλαγής γνώσεων, απόψεων κ.λπ. και, βλέποντας και τον ενθουσιασμό των ανθρώπων αυτών, λέμε εντάξει, εσείς τα γραφολογικά σας, εγώ τα παλαιογραφικά μου, και εσείς να μάθετε, και εγώ σιγά-σιγά να μπω στον προβληματισμό σας, χωρίς προς Θεού –δεν τολμώ, δεν τολμώ– να αρθρώσω λέξη για συμβουλευτική γραφολογία. Ή για να αποφανθώ περί της γνησιότητας, να ταυτίσω μια υπογραφή σε μια επιταγή. Όχι. Γιατί αυτό είναι θέμα καθαρά επαγγελματικό, οι άνθρωποι έχουν τα επαγγελματικά τους, πάει και τελείωσε. Έχει όμως μεγάλη σημασία τώρα ότι προχτές, που είχαμε το σεμινάριο αυτό, ακούσαμε από τους Ιταλούς καθηγητές να λένε ότι, πέρα από την παρατήρηση που λέγαμε και ως προς την οποία ταυτιζόμαστε, σιγά-σιγά μας προσεγγίζει πλέον και η χρήση κάποιων οργάνων. Όπως φερ’ ειπείν, κάτι που κάναμε κι εμείς παλαιότερα με τη χρήση της φωτογραφίας: φωτογράφιζες κάτι, το μεγέθυνες κι έβλεπες κάποιες λεπτομέρειες. Ή, όπως ας πούμε στα παλίμψηστα, για τα οποία δεν έχουμε μιλήσει ακόμα, χρησιμοποιούσαμε ανέκαθεν το υπεριώδες φως. Μετά εμφανίστηκε και η χρήση του υπέρυθρου φωτός, τώρα επίσης κυκλοφορούν και κάτι «γκατζετάκια» που μπορούν να παρακολουθήσουν και την κίνηση του χεριού σου χωρίς να ακουμπάει το κοντύλι επάνω στην επιφάνεια του χαρτιού, που λέει ο λόγος. Εντάξει, η τεχνολογία προχωράει και συνδυάζονται πράγματα, οπότε ο καθένας από εκεί βγάζει τα συμπεράσματά του ανάλογα με τις παρατηρήσεις που κάνει και το τι θέλει ακριβώς να αποδείξει. Ίσως να κλείσω μ’ αυτό, η γραφολογία είναι ένας τομέας που δεν έχει καλλιεργηθεί στην Ελλάδα, είναι ένας εξαιρετικά σπουδαίος και σοβαρός τομέας, που δεν θα ήταν καθόλου άσχημο να επεκταθεί. Και δεν εννοώ, βέβαια, ότι όλοι πρέπει να γίνουν γραφολόγοι, όχι προς Θεού, γιατί ο πληθωρισμός φέρνει και την πτώση της ποιότητας, έτσι δεν είναι;

!
Meanwhile, personally, let me tell you a little detail, noticing the terminology problem of writing - you know it's not a simple thing, it's very complex - when I was in Paris, I bought some graphology books mainly to see how graphologists name writings. We, let's say, use, on the one hand, some completely conventional terms to name writings from the 10th century, the 13th, the 15th century, completely conventional, descriptive names, but coming to more recent years, what other terminology could we use? I don't know? Should the writing be right-leaning, left-leaning, upright, slanted, let's say such terms, and I wanted to see what happens or how some graphologists describe letters. And I had actually bought some books when I was in France, around '77 - and it doesn't take much to cross the Rubicon - I had taken whatever I needed from there, I had understood what people were doing, but I had left the matter. Alright, I wouldn't become a graphologist. But it happened that these people came here, there was also a synergy and a mutual willingness to exchange knowledge, opinions, etc. and, seeing the enthusiasm of these people, we said okay, you with your graphology, me with my palaeography, and you to learn, and me gradually to get into your thinking, without, God forbid - I don't dare, I don't dare - to utter a word about advisory graphology. Or to decide on the authenticity, to identify a signature on a check. No. Because that's strictly a professional matter, people have their professions, it's over and done with. But it's very important now that the day before yesterday, when we had this seminar, we heard the Italian professors say that, beyond the observation we were talking about and with which we identify, the use of some instruments is now also approaching us. Like, for example, something we did in the past with the use of photography: you photographed something, enlarged it, and saw some details. Or, as we say in the old days, about which we haven't talked yet, we always used ultraviolet light. Then the use of infrared light appeared, now there are also "gadgets" that can monitor the movement of your hand without touching the tip on the surface of the paper, so to speak. Alright, technology advances and things are combined, so everyone draws their conclusions according to the observations they make and what they exactly want to prove. Maybe I'll close with this, graphology is a field that has not been cultivated in Greece, it is an extremely important and serious field, which would not be bad to expand. And of course, I don't mean that everyone should become a graphologist, by no means, because inflation brings about the decline in quality, isn't that so?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So he's qualified to say it's like an eighteenth century handwriting. He's not qualified to say that it's not really eighteenth century.
StephenGoranson

He is qualified, and did say, that it is not 18th-century writing.
He is not qualified to say which modern writer imitated it.
Is that too hard for you to see?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Anyone can imagine what they want. He has no expertise in that area.
StephenGoranson

A. T. is indeed paleographically expert in dating writing.
Do you ever tire of obscurantist deflection?