2 Esdras 7 ref to Jesus & Christ

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

2 Esdras 7 ref to Jesus & Christ

Post by MrMacSon »

2 Esdras 7
28 For my son Jesus shall be revealed with those that be with him, and they that remain shall rejoice within four hundred years.
29 After these years shall my son Christ die, and all men that have life.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjva/2-esdras/7.html
I understand Esdras is a Greco-Latin variation of the name of the scribe Ezra found in the titles of several books in or related to the Bible.

There are several references to Jeshua in Ezra and Nehemiah, but the books are not numbered the same way. Are they similar stories?
Sheshbazzar

Re: 2 Esdras 7 ref to Jesus & Christ

Post by Sheshbazzar »

Ezra of Tanakh fame, and the author(s)/poser(s) of 2nd Esdras are separated by about 500 years.
Ezra of the OT certainly was not the author of that steaming 1st century pile called 2nd Esdras.
The 'four hundred years' part is a weak attempt by the writer(s) to retroject their belated 'prophecy' to the time of Ezra,

(adding a terminal 's' to names was the Greek method of indicating masculine gender. This why so many Biblical names have two spellings, with the Greek ones ending with an 's'. 'Joshua' becoming 'Iasu' then 'Iasus' to Latin 'Iesus' > English 'Jesus'.)
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:2 Esdras 7
28 For my son Jesus shall be revealed with those that be with him, and they that remain shall rejoice within four hundred years.

I understand Esdras is a Greco-Latin variation of the name of the scribe Ezra found in the titles of several books in or related to the Bible.

There are several references to Jeshua in Ezra and Nehemiah, but the books are not numbered the same way. Are they similar stories?
That version of the Bible you used is an updated edition of the 1611 KJV, which originally included the Deutero-Canonical books (aka "the Apocrypha") that fundies stopped including in their reprints and editions of the KJV.

Kevin Edgecomb, an up and coming graduate student of the Eastern Orthodox variety of Christian Fundamentalism, has created the following table of relationships between a bewildering variety of Ezra books:

Version/Document
Book of Ezra (10 chap)
Book of Nehemiah (13 chap)
Paraphrase of 2 Chronicles (35-36); the whole book of Ezra; Nehemiah 7:38-8:12; plus a tale about Darius' bodyguards
Ezra Apocalypse (Latin only, 16 chap)
LXX/Old Greek 2 Esdras (1-10) 2 Esdras (11-23) 1 Esdras N/A
Latin Vulgate Bible 1 Esdras 2 Esdras 3 Esdras 4 Esdras (16 chapters)
Many later Latin MSS 1 Esdras 1 Esdras 3 Esdras 2 Esdras = chs 1-2. 4 Esdras = chs 3-14. 5 Esdras = chs 15-16.
Douay Rheims (1609-1610) 1 Esdras 2 Esdras 3 Esdras 4 Esdras (16 chapters)
Russian Bible Moscow Patriarchate (1956) 1 Esdras Nehemiah 2 Esdras 3 Esdras (16 chapters)
KJV & NRSV Ezra Nehemiah 1 Esdras 2 Esdras (16 chapters)
Scholarly Literature Ezra Nehemiah 3 Ezra 5 Ezra = chs 1-2. 4 Ezra = chs 3-14. 6 Ezra = chs 15-16.

The version of the bible you were citing is the "Third Millennium Bible w/ Apocrypha" (TMBA) which is an update of the 1611 KJV. The KJV was originally published with the Deutero-Canonical books of the Bible (those books that were in Roman Catholic bibles, which included some books that were in the Greek or Latin bible translations used by the church, but were not in the Hebrew bible).

As you can see from the table, what was called 2 Esdras in the KJV (and the TMBA) is what everyone else calls the Latin Apocalypse of Ezra, which does not overlap in content any of the Hebrew books of Ezra or Nehemiah. All that "Scholarly Literature" stuff about breaking down chs 1-2 as 5th Ezra, chs 3-14 as 4 Ezra, and chs 15-16 as 6 Ezra just confuses things, as I am not aware of any scholars using those terms, unless it is peculiar to Eastern Orthodox scholarship. FWIW, chs 3-14 are believed to constitute a Jewish work that no longer survives in whatever language it was written in, and which has been Christianized, while chs 1-2 & 15-16 were written entirely by Christians.

DCH

PS: In 4 Ezra, Ezra gets high on mushrooms and becomes a mad dictator:

From 4 Ezra, chapter 14:
37: So I took the five men, as he commanded me, and we proceeded to the field, and remained there.
38: And on the next day, behold, a voice called me, saying, "Ezra, open your mouth and drink what I give you to drink."
39: Then I opened my mouth, and behold, a full cup was offered to me; it was full of something like water, but its color was like fire.
40: And I took it and drank; and when I had drunk it, my heart poured forth understanding, and wisdom increased in my breast, for my spirit retained its memory;
41: and my mouth was opened, and was no longer closed.
42: And the Most High gave understanding to the five men, and by turns they wrote what was dictated, in characters which they did not know. They sat forty days, and wrote during the daytime, and ate their bread at night.
43: As for me, I spoke in the daytime and was not silent at night.
44: So during the forty days ninety-four books were written.
45: And when the forty days were ended, the Most High spoke to me, saying, "Make public the twenty-four books that you wrote first and let the worthy and the unworthy read them;
46: but keep the seventy that were written last, in order to give them to the wise among your people.
47: For in them is the spring of understanding, the fountain of wisdom, and the river of knowledge."
48: And I did so.

I speculate thusly (in my best imitation of Sheldon from the TV series Big Bang Theory, about crazy nerds with girlfriends, which demonstrates that it could not possibly be a reality show) on the supposition that the liquid he was given to drink was the juice of the Amanita Muscaria mushroom (the red capped mushrooms with white spots often depicted in children's books and Smurf cartoons), which J Gordon Wasson has documented was used by many Asiatics and Germans as an intoxicant, and which he believed was also used among the Indians as Soma, and among Iranians/Zoroastrians as Haoma.
Last edited by DCHindley on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

DCHindley wrote: The version of the bible you were citing is the "Third Millennium Bible w/ Apocrypha" (TMBA) which is an update of the 1611 KJV. The KJV was originally published with the Deutero-Canonical books of the Bible (those books that were in Roman Catholic bibles, which included some books that were in the Greek or Latin bible translations used by the church, but were not in the Hebrew bible).

As you can see from the table, what was called 2 Esdras in the KJV (and the TMBA) is what everyone else calls the Latin Apocalypse of Ezra, which does not overlap in content any of the Hebrew books of Ezra or Nehemiah. All that "Scholarly Literature" stuff about breaking down chs 1-2 as 5th Ezra, chs 3-14 as 4 Ezra, and chs 15-16 as 6 Ezra just confuses things, as I am not aware of any scholars using those terms, unless it is peculiar to Eastern Orthodox scholarship. FWIW, chs 3-14 are believed to constitute a Jewish work that no longer survives in whatever language it was written in, and which has been Christianized, while chs 1-2 & 15-16 were written entirely by Christians.

DCH
Cheers. I was trying to work my way round it all - it is very confusing.

I had found this - http://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html
Authorship and dating of 1 and 2 Esdras are somewhat problematic, and some scholars place the writing of certain portions of 2 Esdras as late as the 2nd century AD

econd Esdras was written too late to be included in the Septuagint and, therefore, does not appear within the more prominent canon (Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox). Second Esdras is also known by many other names, making it difficult to track fully. For example, 2 Esdras contains portions known in some circles as 3 Ezra, 4 Ezra, 5 Ezra, and 6 Ezra. The Ethiopian Church considers 4 Ezra to be canonical, whereas the Eastern Armenian Church labels it as 3 Ezra. Further, some scholars believe these books were written by several authors, including some possibly as late as the second century AD.

Second Esdras is often referred to as the Jewish Apocalypse of Ezra and contains seven visions of Ezra dealing with his angst over the pain and suffering inflicted upon Jews by Gentiles. Some scholars believe the book was written shortly after the AD 70 destruction of the temple in Jerusalem during the reign of Emperor Domitian (AD 81—96).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:Cheers. I was trying to work my way round it all - it is very confusing.

I had found this - http://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html
Authorship and dating of 1 and 2 Esdras are somewhat problematic, and some scholars place the writing of certain portions of 2 Esdras as late as the 2nd century AD

econd Esdras was written too late to be included in the Septuagint and, therefore, does not appear within the more prominent canon (Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox). Second Esdras is also known by many other names, making it difficult to track fully. For example, 2 Esdras contains portions known in some circles as 3 Ezra, 4 Ezra, 5 Ezra, and 6 Ezra. The Ethiopian Church considers 4 Ezra to be canonical, whereas the Eastern Armenian Church labels it as 3 Ezra. Further, some scholars believe these books were written by several authors, including some possibly as late as the second century AD.

Second Esdras is often referred to as the Jewish Apocalypse of Ezra and contains seven visions of Ezra dealing with his angst over the pain and suffering inflicted upon Jews by Gentiles. Some scholars believe the book was written shortly after the AD 70 destruction of the temple in Jerusalem during the reign of Emperor Domitian (AD 81—96).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/first-second-Esdras.html

Yes, it can be extremely confusing! A surprisingly large number of Jewish Greek works, and even some Aramaic or Hebrew ones, were translated into Latin in the 3rd & 4th centuries CE.

The First Esdras and Second Esdras mentioned in the link you provided probably referred to 1st & 2nd Esdras from the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Judean scriptures), where 1st Esdras is a translation of the Hebrew books of Ezra & Nehemiah, and 2nd Esdras is an alternate version which contains a "paraphrase of 2 Chronicles (35-36); the whole book of Ezra; Nehemiah 7:38-8:12; plus a tale about Darius' bodyguards." The person who answered the question himself was thinking of 2nd Esdras of the KJV. There is some speculation that 2nd Esdras of the Septuagint actually represents the text of earlier versions of the books of 2nd Chronicles, Ezra & Nehemiah than what was formalized as the Hebrew versions of these books, which may have occurred as late as the first two centuries CE.

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Note that the text of 2 Esdras 7 vs 28-29 differs among the various ancient versions. The reference to Jesus is probably not original, the RSV reads
28 For my son the Messiah shall be revealed with those who are with him, and those who remain shall rejoice four hundred years. 29 And after these years my son the Messiah shall die, and all who draw human breath.
Andrew Criddle
Sheshbazzar

Post by Sheshbazzar »

The 400 year retrojected Messiah 'prophecy' remaining just as late, contrived, and every bit phony as it is with the Jeezuz reading.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

MrMacSon wrote:2 Esdras 7

The word Jesus means Yahweh saves, so it could be a reference to a label for Messiah.
Or it could be an interpolation, since I think it's only in the Latin version.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com