are these supposed to be sound arguments?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: are these supposed to be sound arguments?

Post by Peter Kirby »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:10 pm "If a monk wanted to record "Clement" why not do it instead in the Clement edition owned in Mar Saba?"
I already supported this today.
The 1715 two-volume folio edition of Clement attested at Mar Saba would be a much more plausible place to annotate a Clement addition then in a Voss Ignatius book, that is not attested as being at Mar Saba.

I could expand on others, but you already ignore my cumulative statement and my onus of proof statement, so can we take that one above or do you as owner here require a book length expansion?
So you actually think this "why not in the Clement edition" stuff is a sound argument in some way, in some degree?

Where do you draw the line on worthless arguments?
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

In some degree---cumulatively. If you had a note about Clement, would you note it with Clement or with Ignatius.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:26 pm In some degree---cumulatively. If you had a note about Clement, would you note it with Clement or with Ignatius.
So you don't see anything wrong with this argument? Nothing? It passes your critical thinking checks?
StephenGoranson

It is an indication. An argument. Or maybe you, as an owner, puts Clement notes in your Ignatius folder.
StephenGoranson

Smith had been previously searching manuscripts. At Mar Saba he went to catalog books not manuscripts, though not a librarian nor bibliographer?
And just happened to find a manuscript in a book near his last day? Coincidence?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:35 pm Smith had been previously searching manuscripts. At Mar Saba he went to catalog books not manuscripts, though not a librarian nor bibliographer?
And just happened to find a manuscript in a book near his last day? Coincidence?
What are you trying to say? What do you mean by "At Mar Saba he went to catalogue books not manuscripts"?
StephenGoranson

He got permission for a project of cataloging books. That was his announced reason--as is published and well known. What I said was what I was trying to say.
StephenGoranson

As owner, you can make rules for civility and good faith but don't need to follow them yourself?
This forum does some good passing of information, sometimes.
This small corner of the world.
StephenGoranson

The falseness of the "Letter to Theodore," unless I'm mistaken, which is surely possible, is becoming increasingly recognized.
Neither you, Peter, nor I own it all.
StephenGoranson

Actually, I am much more interested in who was the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness (Judah), and whether Papias' Aristion is identical with Aristo of Pella, etc.
But a fraud, such as Dirk Obbink misdating then illegally selling stolen mss, must needs be addressed, too.