Josephus again

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Josephus again

Post by maryhelena »

JarekS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:11 am Outside of Josephus there is no historical evidence for these two figures.
It is not important. Invented hero is even better. Jesus ben Ananias, ben Sepphat, James' brother, and the last one ben Miriam called Christ. Tradition of historical Jesus was invented
My comment, in context, related to the theories based upon the two figures mentioned. Building a theory upon Josephan figures with no outside of Josephus historical evidence, with the idea that the theory somehow relates to the gospel Jesus story, is a futile exercise. One may as well stay with fictional gospel Jesus story.
JarekS

Post by JarekS »

But that's exactly how Jesus was created - Ant's reader found the right man in the book, who supposedly lived 65 years earlier, was loved by Jews and Gentiles, died on a cross. He thought and decided - this is the Messiah. The rest will be added.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Before the finding of a such man in Ant., what did the Christians believe that Jesus was?
JarekS

Post by JarekS »

There was no Christians. It was a fresh idea to find human incarnation of the God as a mere man. Not king but mere man.απλός άνθρωπος.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

JarekS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:50 am But that's exactly how Jesus was created - Ant's reader found the right man in the book, who supposedly lived 65 years earlier, was loved by Jews and Gentiles, died on a cross. He thought and decided - this is the Messiah. The rest will be added.
Why stop at 65 years? Why not go with 75 years and stay in tune with the TF placing in 19 c. e.? Or are you upholding a whole cloth Eusebius interpolation of the TF and thereby negating any relevance to 19 c..e. Which leaves you with putting all the 23 years of Tiberius in a bag, saying abracadabra three times before pulling out a Tiberius date for your Pilate story.
JarekS

Post by JarekS »

Testimonium and Pilate -ca 30AD. Ant was published 94CE.I'm not too attached to this calculation
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

JarekS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 am There was no Christians. It was a fresh idea to find human incarnation of the God as a mere man. Not king but mere man.απλός άνθρωπος.
Resuming: the need of finding a human incarnation of the God (a Messiah?) moved some writers of a sect/school of the Diaspora to find a good stunt double in Ant., just with the same easiness by which they found one (John the Baptist) for Elijah.

What was this sect/school of the Diaspora? Gentilizers (against the strict observance of the Torah)? Judaizers (fanatics of the Torah)?
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

JarekS wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 am Testimonium and Pilate -ca 30AD. Ant was published 94CE.I'm not too attached to this calculation
The TF is set within a context of 19 c. e. It seems your not committed to Josephus dating for your Jesus theory. But I thought you said, or inferred, the gospel writers got their Jesus figure from Josephus Antiquities.
JarekS

Post by JarekS »

The TF is set within a context of 19 c. e. It seems your not committed to Josephus dating for your Jesus theory. But I thought you said, or inferred, the gospel writers got their Jesus figure from Josephus Antiquities.
I think you know more. I didn't know that TF is concerned events from 19CE. Jesus from Ant was chosen by writer of letters and gospels to be a Messiah.
JarekS

Post by JarekS »

Giuseppe. The Hellenistic followers of Judaism, led by the Herodians, lost control of the Temple and sat astride the barricade between the opposing communities that were fighting - the Greeks and the Jews. They chose the Greeks. Jesus was falsely accused by the Jews and crucified by the Romans because the author of this story was a Greek monotheist.