Ehrman v. Bob Price debate?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Ehrman v. Bob Price debate?

Post by Peter Kirby »

toejam wrote:A further response from Price on his FB blog:

"Whoa! My friends, let me make something clear: I have not "challenged" Bart to a debate and would not. I was approached by a third party who said he wanted to arrange an exchange between the two of us, which would of course be a privilege. This person proposed the Kickstarter, not me. Please don't imagine I challenged Bart to a throw-down to vindicate the glorious doctrine of Mythicism. Nothing of the kind. But if it turns out that we share a stage, that's more than fine with me."
Someone from the Ministry of Truth needs to remind Robert Price just how glorious the doctine of Mythicism really is! He seems to have forgotten!

Nothing too serious. Don't leave any marks.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
stevencarrwork

Post by stevencarrwork »

Wow! 5,000 dollars to read out Galatians 1:19 in public. Which is all Ehrman has on his side of the debate.

How much is that per word?
toejam

Post by toejam »

^It all goes to charity, so what's the problem?
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

toejam wrote:^It all goes to charity, so what's the problem?
Is it The Ehrman Trust for the Exposure of Scriptural Corruptions, of which he is executive director, receiving a salary of $5,000 per speech? <made up example>

Carrier, I believe, says he won't debate unless he is paid his usual $80/hr translation fee (beginning when he leaves his front door for the airport and ending when he arrives back at his doorstep), plus expenses (direct connection air fare - so forget it if your city doesn't have an airline hub, a suite at the Hilton - not Red Roof Inn, and one of those places for dinner with $99 20oz steaks you get free if you can eat it all in an hour, plastic - not paper - "doggy" bags, all red M&Ms, a case of Perrier water, and a masseuse). <geeze, is it necessary to say that this is also made up?>

DCH <also made up ... or is he/she/it?>
Last edited by DCHindley on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
toejam

Post by toejam »

DCHindley wrote:Is it The Ehrman Trust for the Exposure of Scriptural Corruptions, of which he is executive director, receiving a salary of $5,000 per speech? <made up example>
Haha!

Ehrman: "The money all goes to the same charities that I support on the blog, dealing with issues related to hunger and homelessness."
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

toejam wrote:
DCHindley wrote:Is it The Ehrman Trust for the Exposure of Scriptural Corruptions, of which he is executive director, receiving a salary of $5,000 per speech? <made up example>
Haha!

Ehrman: "The money all goes to the same charities that I support on the blog, dealing with issues related to hunger and homelessness."
His own hunger and potential homelessness? :cheeky:
toejam

Post by toejam »

^His hunger for more $$ and the lack of a home for his new Ferrari... Carrier would probably argue that we can't rule out this interpretation given that we have some examples of modern people using these terms in such ways ;-)
toejam

Post by toejam »

Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Ehrman's gotta be a millionaire with his book royalties. Price probably needs the speaking fees just to keep the electricity on.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Tenorikuma wrote:Ehrman's gotta be a millionaire with his book royalties. Price probably needs the speaking fees just to keep the electricity on.
Unless you are a very widely read scholar like J D Crossan, I heard that there is not really very much money in academic book sales, even when dum'ed down fo' us ever' day fo'ks to understan'.

Interviewer, to Li'l Abner: Have you ever mugged anybody?
LA: Yas sir, I onest brought a mug of warm milk to Mammy Yokum.
Interviewer tears hair out ... it was not what he wanted to hear.

Years ago on Crosstalk2 (XTalk) there was a lot of criticism heaped on Eisenman for his book on James the Just, as though he was sensationalizing things to make money. However, Eisenman told me privately (although not on his boat, so it may not count) that he has not made any money from his several books.

DCH :silenced: