Ehrman v. Bob Price debate?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Ehrman v. Bob Price debate?

Post by Peter Kirby »

IDK ... Mark Goodacre spoke intelligently with Carrier regarding the subject, on a radio program, and I don't think he needed $5k to do it.

I'd much rather see someone besides Ehrman on the stage, anyway. I doubt that Ehrman would take it seriously or prepare adequately.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
toejam

Post by toejam »

^I want to see Ehrman because he's the one who published a book on the topic. Price was one who Ehrman went after in the book, and Price has been heavily critical on Ehrman's methodology and conclusions. I'm as much interested in the clash of personalities as in the actual question.

The Goodacre-Carrier conversation was fascinating, but it hardly got going given time constraints etc. They only just scratched the surface. A two-hour conversation between Ehrman and Price, with no ad breaks nor Christian host butting in to interrupt, would be much more interesting. This might be the only chance we ever get to coax Ehrman into a live debate on the question of historicity. By the looks of things, I'm probably one of Ehrman's biggest supporters here on this board, but even I think he's overconfident.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Robert Price on Facebook:
Did I mention that the Ehrman-Price debate is now slated for October 21, 2016?
People may be aware that there was a Kickstarter, which raised $0 because it did not reach its goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... rice-debat

I'm not sure what has allowed the situation to change and a date to be put on the debate. Some possibilities (maybe all of the below...):

1) Large donor swooped in and made it happen.
2) Bart Ehrman relaxed his policies.
3) Robert Price offered to forgo a share.

In any case, it looks like we'll be seeing a debate between the two about a year from now... Allah be willing.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
toejam

Post by toejam »

^or 4) another kickstarter is being organised?
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Maybe Bob or Bart will let us know.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

toejam wrote:. By the looks of things, I'm probably one of Ehrman's biggest supporters here on this board, but even I think he's overconfident.
Yes that's a given.

I like him and respect him, but he is just about my least favorite for what I will call a credible scholar.

You might have caught on to something there, his certainty, in certain aspects that are grey at best, was my turn off point.
Blood

Post by Blood »

Mythicist Milwaukee is supposedly going to make the debate happen.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Post by Blood »

"Did I mention that the Ehrman-Price debate is now slated for October 21, 2016?"

-- Price on Facebook
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp