The Mythicism Files

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: The Mythicism Files

Post by Peter Kirby »

MrMacSon wrote:Interesting b/c it is a non-'astrotheological' proposition by Murdock/Acharya. Interesting b/c it proposes a centre for Hellenism. Interesting b/c it proposes a non-Israel/non_Judean geography for the fate of the Jewish diaspora after the Roman-Jewish wars, and possible consequential processes b/c of that.
I will admit that I've fancied the same idea at times, and I would be interested in knowing if it could find grounds of support.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

It has grounds for discussion, at least.

and I actually meant
  • "Interesting b/c it proposes a key or primary centre for Hellenism", and

Interesting b/c it proposes a key or primary geography for the fate of the Jewish diaspora after the Roman-Jewish wars
cienfuegos

Post by cienfuegos »

John T wrote:
Quixie wrote:The fact that you would go to the length of writing an entire post about her in response to me only adds to my negative impression of your reading comprehension and motives. If it's all the same to you, I'm going to ignore you until you show signs of being a serious individual.
Peace be with you.
Now if I wasn't serious then why would I waste a couple hours of my time reading your blog and researching the authors you recommend?
Still, I'm tired of the guessing game.

So then, after this post, I will step back and wait it out (what you are really trying to sell will manifest to others sooner or later, that I'm sure of)
and until then, you will not have to worry anymore about probing questions from me.

Funny story. When I first started on this forum, I was falsely accused of being Robert Eisenman because I knew too much (imagine that).
But all it was, is that (perhaps like you) I spent some time reading Eisenman, Bart D. Ehrman, Tabor and others.
I was even attacked by someone I thought was the son of Geza Vermes. Funny thing, once the son of Geza Vermes went to jail for slander on Biblical forums, that source of personal attacks against me stopped, just a coincidence I'm sure.

Anyway, I already read several of your blog posts (you write very well) and to your credit you come across as someone who appears to be well read and open-minded but once again I prejudged you wrong.

So, by all means, put me on your ignore list because what you have written on your blog is old hat and I really don't care to go over the errors.

Best wishes in what you hope to get out of this. :)

John T
Either 2 sons of prominent bible scholars went to jail or you are referencing Norman Golb's son Raphael.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

cienfuegos wrote:
John T wrote:Funny thing, once the son of Geza Vermes went to jail for slander on Biblical forums, that source of personal attacks against me stopped, just a coincidence I'm sure.
Either 2 sons of prominent bible scholars went to jail or you are referencing Norman Golb's son Raphael.
Thank you I was wondering why Google turned up nothing.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

John T wrote: Funny story. When I first started on this forum, I was falsely accused of being Robert Eisenman because I knew too much (imagine that).
Was that b/c you were unclear in what you espoused?
Quixie

Post by Quixie »

MrMacSon . . . .

Thanks for the heads up . . . it does sound interesting, I have to confess.
That Alexandria would be a vitally important center is tenable . . . but more important than Asia minor or Edessa or more Western provinces? . . . I'd love to hear the argument, so I might read that one.
I'd like to read something by her that is not "astrotheological."
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Quixie wrote:That Alexandria would be a vitally important center is tenable . . .
Early Alexandrian Christianity - Robert M. Grant
http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/E ... 0Grant.htm

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Quixie wrote: That Alexandria would be a vitally important center is tenable . . . but more important than Asia minor or Edessa or more Western provinces? . . . I'd love to hear the argument, so I might read that one.
Maybe Alexandria was more important (than Asia minor or Edessa or more Western provinces) in the genesis or initial evolution of a more distinct Christianity.

I'm also interested in the links among (i) the Tacitus, Pliny-the-Younger, and Seutonius references to Christians; and (ii) the alleged-Hadrian reference to Christians. All four were intimately link by inter-personal relationships.

That link opens at the appropriate chapter in the 'google-book' - The Alexandrian Roots of Christianity, by DM Murdock/ Acharya S
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
Quixie wrote:That Alexandria would be a vitally important center is tenable . . .
I'd be looking before Origen and Eusebius; around the times of and before Seutonius, Hadrian, Tacitus, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

MrMacSon wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:
I'd be looking before Origen and Eusebius; around the times of and before Seutonius, Hadrian, Tacitus, etc.

Nearly everything that is recorded about the early history of Alexandrian Christianity lies in the Church History of Eusebius. [Grant]

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]