Craig Evans talking about Wallace's mummy mask Mark fragment

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ficino

Re: Craig Evans talking about Wallace's mummy mask Mark frag

Post by ficino »

yalla wrote:From a comment by Roberta Mazza on her blog post here:
https://facesandvoices.wordpress.com/20 ... ics-again/

" .....2. there is not a single example of New Testament papyrus coming from mummy cartonnage so far,
3. the use of recycled papyrus for making mummy cartonnage ends in the Augustan era according to current scholarship and findings,
4. there is methodology developed in the 1980 that allows the extraction of fragments with minimal damages to the mummy cartonnage: "

Thanks.

Mazza discusses dates of papyri from mummy cartonnage in this post from May 2014:

https://facesandvoices.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

I have to say, the involvement of Josh McDowell does not inspire confidence. I can't imagine him being associated with anything legitimate.

PJ Williams posted this today:
We come now to a central paragraph:

"Evans says that the text was dated through a combination of carbon-14 dating, studying the handwriting on the fragment and studying the other documents found along with the gospel. These considerations led the researchers to conclude that the fragment was written before the year 90."

As the source is demonstrably not particularly careful and as this is also not a direct quotation from Evans it is difficult to know what Evans actually said.

However, C14 dating will not render a date as precise as 'before 90'; nor will palaeography. That leaves us with two other methods of dating: archaeological context and associated writings.

If for convenience we suppose that other manuscripts in the mask are ones with dates that survive (remembering that for a majority of texts no date survives) and that the mask luckily enough contains four texts with firm date formulae (which would be really nice, but quite unlikely) and that these date formulae show manuscripts from the years 50, 60, 70 and 80, that would still not mean that they could not be put together with a manuscript from considerably later than the year 90 to make a mummy mask.

Finally, it might be possible that archaeological context would date a mummy mask to a particular date, but that would be highly unusual, and would not accord well with Dan Wallace's earlier emphasis on the expertise of an unnamed palaeographer as the basis for the dating. Palaeographers don't normally deal with archaeological dating.

Therefore the public claims about the basis for dating this fragment appear incoherent.
cienfuegos

Post by cienfuegos »

outhouse wrote:
Diogenes the Cynic wrote:
I'm like 99% sure this will turn out to be bullshit.

Why?

Evans has done some great work in the past.
Make some predictions based on your favorite pet theory. If you hold that all the Gospels are later, as in late 2nd century, then you are likely to predict that some verifiable and trustworthy dating will place this material later. Otherwise, you will predict an earlier date. As toejam observed, a dating to the 90s or so doesn't impact the Carrier/Doherty theory. If it can be dated so precisely as to determine late first, early second, I will say no earlier than 100 CE. That's my prediction based on my position that Mark is dependent on Josephus, so 70s for the original creation of Mark at the earliest, some time for the gMark to itself disseminate to where it is preserved in an Egyptian mask. My prediction: no earlier than 100 CE.

My concern also is that with this all being an evangelical endeavor, what steps would be taken to preserve material that does not support an evangelical position? A double tragedy could occur here: the destruction of Egyptian antiquities and then the destruction or burying of valuable evidence and insights into the origins of Christianity.
Blood

Post by Blood »

ericbwonder wrote:I think--if it ever amounts to anything--evangelicals will argue that an 80ce date and Egyptian provenience for the manuscript will furnish grounds for antedating Mark much earlier than the standard dating in the 70's. It will have taken time to travel there, right? They did the same thing with p52.

Or, they may leap all over the report by Eusebius that Mark was sent to Egypt and perhaps composed the gospel there.

But to be fair, a few secular scholars date Mark to the 40's.
According to Marc Goodacre, only a few fundamentalist cranks date the gospel earlier than the epistles. This included Maurice Casey, of course.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

cienfuegos wrote:
Make some predictions based on your favorite pet theory. If you hold that all the Gospels are later, as in late 2nd century, then you are likely to predict that some verifiable and trustworthy dating will place this material later. Otherwise, you will predict an earlier date. As toejam observed, a dating to the 90s or so doesn't impact the Carrier/Doherty theory. If it can be dated so precisely as to determine late first, early second, I will say no earlier than 100 CE. That's my prediction based on my position that Mark is dependent on Josephus, so 70s for the original creation of Mark at the earliest, some time for the gMark to itself disseminate to where it is preserved in an Egyptian mask. My prediction: no earlier than 100 CE.
According to the link, in the OP, it is being proposed that the Mark fragment could be dated prior to 90 c.e. i.e. prior to the publication of Antiquities (93/94 c.e.). My own position would place gMark prior to Antiquities for the simple reason that gMark (and gMatthew) have Herodias married to the Philip prior to a marriage to Antipas. This is contrary to what is stated in Antiquities. However, this gMark and gMatthew position is supported by material that is now in Slavonic Josephus. (i.e. Herodias was married to the tetrarch Philip). Whatever the linkage between the material in Slavonic Josephus and War the fact remains that the Slavonic Josephus material on Herodias and Philip supports the gMark and gMatthew material - and thus places these two gospel stories prior to Antiquities.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

maryhelena wrote:
cienfuegos wrote:
According to the link, in the OP, it is being proposed that the Mark fragment could be dated prior to 90 c.e. i.e. prior to the publication of Antiquities (93/94 c.e.). My own position would place gMark prior to Antiquities for the simple reason that gMark (and gMatthew) have Herodias married to the Philip prior to a marriage to Antipas. This is contrary to what is stated in Antiquities. However, this gMark and gMatthew position is supported by material that is now in Slavonic Josephus. (i.e. Herodias was married to the tetrarch Philip). Whatever the linkage between the material in Slavonic Josephus and War the fact remains that the Slavonic Josephus material on Herodias and Philip supports the gMark and gMatthew material - and thus places these two gospel stories prior to Antiquities.
Mark seems to show knowledge of Jewish War, not Antiquities. BJ has the Jesus ben Ananius parallels and BJ was written in the 70's. So Mark can be prior to AJ, but still have knowledge of BJ. Those books were published 20 years apart.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:
maryhelena wrote:
cienfuegos wrote:
Mark seems to show knowledge of Jewish War, not Antiquities. BJ has the Jesus ben Ananius parallels and BJ was written in the 70's. So Mark can be prior to AJ, but still have knowledge of BJ. Those books were published 20 years apart.

Yep, the Jesus ben Ananus story.....so....gMark used a story in War as a template for his Jesus figure...?

According to Richard Carrier this Jesus served as the template for the Jesus in Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_ben_Ananias.

I'd much rather go with gMark's use of Herodias and Philip being married than with the Josephan story. At least it could well have been common knowledge that this marriage was historical. Unless one had a copy of War one would not have heard of Jesus ben Ananias. i.e. no evidence that such a figure existed.

Richard Carrier: On the Historicity of Jesus. Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt.

Page 428/429. "Indeed, even how Mark decides to construct the sequence of the Passion narrative appears to be based on the tale of another Jesus: Jesus ben Ananias, the 'Jesus of Jerusalem', an insane prophet active in the 60s ce who is then killed in the siege of Jerusalem (roughly in the year 70). His story is told by Josephus in the Jewish War, and unless Josephus invented him, his narrative must have been famous, famous enough for Josephus to know of it, and thus famous enough for Mark to know of it, too, and make use of it to model the tale of his own Jesus. Or if Josephus invented the tale, then Mark evidently used Josephus as a source. Because the parallels are too numerous to be at all probable as a coincidence. Some Mark does derive from elsewhere (or matches from elsewhere to a double purpose), but the overall scheme of the story in Josephus matches Mark too closely to believe that Mark just came up with the exact same scheme independently. And since it's not believable that Josephus invented a new story using Mark, we must conclude Mark invented his story using Josephus—or the same tale known to Josephus.

my bolding

If it's dating gMark that is the issue - Jesus ben Ananias is not really of much help. i.e. dating the story does not help with dating gMark. i.e. once the story is published it could be many years before a gospel writer decides to use that story. gMark can be dated, because of it's mention of a marriage between Herodias and the Tetrarch Philip to prior to the publishing of Antiquities in 93/94 c.e. Antiquities tells a very different story about Herodias. i.e. Antiquities does not have Herodias married to Philip. (likewise with gMatthew)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
ericbwonder

Post by ericbwonder »

Blood wrote:According to Marc Goodacre, only a few fundamentalist cranks date the gospel earlier than the epistles. This included Maurice Casey, of course.
And at least James Crossley too. I've never read anything by Casey, apart from a review of the debate between Bird and Crossley in their 2008 book 'How Did Christianity Begin?'. So I don't have any reason to think he was a 'fundamentalist crank', nor do I see why Mark Goodacre saying so means it's true. Do you think Crossley is also a fundamentalist crank?
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I just learned from another forum (which references a post that Craig Evans made on Bart Ehrman's blog) that the fragment will not be published this year nor perhaps for several years. It's going to be bundled together with a number of other fragments and published years from now.